Laconia MCW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laconia MCW

OK This may be a stupid question or the wrong place but I will give it a shot. I just got my license (MC) last year and only got a few months of riding under my belt. This spring (Provided I can get this "new" bike on the ROAD!) will be the start of my first FULL season and as some of you may know my first MCW (Motorcycle Week) here in Laconia.

Now I grew up here so I have been through many many many MCW's. But being a spectator and riding through it I am sure are 100x different. I was wondering:

Tips:
    1) Riding in close quarters
    2) People, Places, and other things to avoid
    3) Can I expect any $hit for having a Suzuki? Or is that all myth?
    4) Anything else you want to clue me in on

Routes:
    1) Like aside right up RT3 onto the boulevard.

I ride solo, obviously I am not ready for a passenger and I don't have any friends who ride Any others from here come up for the event?? I know there is a few months to go but I got nothing to do right now till the tappet depressor or diaphragms show up

I've rode my GS450 up to Laconia and no one gave me any grief. Nowadays, they don't really care what kind of bike you have.

Riding into Weirs is tiring because you go so slow that you almost are walking the bike. It's great practice for clutch/shift/brake work though.

My advice, go early in the day before everyone has had a chance to start hitting the beer tents.

Comment

Don't ride your motorcycle into Weirs. Ride it to the Railroad Station by the Harley Place and take the the train into Weirs. The ol' lady and I were at Laconia two years ago. One day we took the train. The next day we rode in. Train, good. Riding in, big mistake.

The traffic is either at a dead stop or is only inching along. We pulled over out of consideration for the bike. Our old air cooled engines were not intended to sit in traffic in June heat for extended periods of time. We pulled in twice to let the engine cool before continuing.

The traffic at these big bike events has gotten way out of hand. Being a local you may have some back roads to miss some of the traffic, but I still would not recommend it for a beginning motorcyclist.

You should post this question under General Discussion.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Good advice so far. I try to avoid the Weirs..especially during the last weekend of the rally, and haven't experienced any problems riding a Suzuki.
        It seems that last year most rider fatalities were due to either bikes or cages crossing the yellow lines into oncoming traffic, so keep to the right!

If you like old bikes, try to get to the vintage racing demonstration. It's usually held in downtown Laconia on Sunday of the first weekend. The pit area is in the parking lot of the old depot and is open to spectators free of charge. Also, the hillclimb on Wednesday is usually a good show if the weather cooperates..try to go early and leave early to avoid getting caught in a traffic jam.

Comment

Definitely the train. Riding through Wiers doesn't happen at all that weekend- you'll have the motor off and will be footpedaling it down the street, which I don't think I have to tell you sucks real bad. Wicked good party there, but if I actually want to go for a ride I stay as far away from the lake as possible.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have gone to Laconia several times but I think my last trip was in 1989. On at least one trip I got stuck in traffic and had to pull over when my oil temp guage pegged.

I never had a problem with having a Suzuki and would not expect any issues today.

Train? I didn't even know there was a train but why go to bike weekend on a train?
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

If you wanna go right to Weirs Beach- where all the action really is- you should ride you motorcycle (or car) to Merideth and take the train in. You'll actually be able to get in and out when you want.

Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I've been attending Bike Week in Laconia every year since 1978. It's changed a lot over the years. Back in 78 it was only a weekend and even though it still wasn't that bad, you did have to be uh, careful where you went on a Suzuki. These days it's seems like a convention for OFWL (Old Folks with Leathers). There isn't that much traffic in the Weirs until Thursday night. Then it gets real bad. You can still get in early in the morning without a problem and getting out is never as bad as getting in. If you insist on the full effect and have to ride there during high traffic, go there from the North (Rte 104 to Pease Rd to Parade Rd then Roller Coaster Rd to Daniel Webster) coming up Paugus Bay (Rte 3) or from Gilford (Rte 11b) is a killer. If you go, try to change your oil just before & make sure the cooling fins are completely clean, especially front center it's amazing but even a little crud between the fins makes a difference. If it's real hot make certain your carbs are not running on the lean side (lean is never good but lean aircooled bikes overheat real quick). If it's hot bring water, it costs an arm & a leg at the tents. Even though its pretty tame these days, I recommend riding with a friend if possible. Besides it's more fun if you have someone to talk to especially when you see stuff you don't normally see.
                Oh yeah... with all due respect, forget the train ride. It's not Train week ffs!
                Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2007, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I have been many times and I never had that much trouble with the traffic early Saturday morning. I would absolutely plan on early Saturday, any route and go to Weirs and park. Then just hang out there all day.

When it is hot I always brought a large (not giant) size bottled water and then refilled it at the sinks in the bathroom under the paddleboat dock. It was cold and tasted great! If the traffic isn't moving too slow everywhere it is pretty cool to ride around the circle with thousands of other bikes.

Have fun and stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                  X