Looking to do a ride in pa, nj, or md.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to do a ride in pa, nj, or md.

Me and some buddies are looking to do a three day weekend trip. We are out of the Philly area. I am looking for some suggestions as to some great roads and destinations? So far we have my 1980 GS750E, 1983 GS1100E, 1980 GS550E, 1995 RF900, 1983 Yamaha XT550, 2001 Indian Scout, and possibly some others going along.

When are you thinking of?

I'm here in Philly, and I hope to have my 1978 GS 750 back together soon, maybe tomorrow. Next, the 1979 GS 1000 I bought last fall And where are you thinking of going? A pretty nice ride is down into MD to Rock Hall, where I keep yet another PIT... I mean project, a 1978 O'Day 32' CC sailboat that I'm going down to do a 5 barrier coats and 2 anti-fouling coats week after next. And the ride below Rock Hall to the Chesapeake Bridge is nice too, bringing you from the Eastern Shore to the mainland south of Baltimore.
    Last edited by jknappsax; 03-31-2007, 07:13 PM. Reason: additional info
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Go to the following site: http://www.greatroadsgreatrides.com/index.htm , and buy Great Roads Great Rides, a travel guide to over 8,000 miles of journeys in the mid Atlantic. One of the authors is Dan Bard, one of the GSR editors. \

Dan and Jennings also help prepare "Moto-Maps", found on the same site above. There's a Moto Map for each of the following, plus a lot more:

PA west
      PA east/New Jersey
      Maryland/Delaware
      Northern Virginia
      North Carolina
      West Virginia

These are just a few of the Moto Maps available. Go to the website and order Great Roads Great Rides or Moto Maps, or both.

Comment

Pennsylvania Grand Canyon in Wellsboro. All kinds of great roads to get you there and back from down your way. Go to Lancaster and head north.

Comment

Doug, give a call or PM, I'd love to do some riding around here. Bring that 750 out. I'm thinking of end of may early june for a three day trip through north maryland and west virginia and back.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Late May

Hey Duane, if you guys are going in late May, and I have a bike together (probably will today!), I'd love to take a ride in that area. The Wellsboro/Grand Canyon of PA ride is also a very nice one. Let me know whatever plans you hear about. Once June starts, I'm tied up with our TV begathon (I work for Public TV in Philly), and then my wife and I are going away for our 30th anniversary. Thanks.
            Last edited by jknappsax; 04-07-2007, 12:25 PM. Reason: additional information
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

To wellsborro and back via backroads would be a nice ride, a good overnight ride. May can be an unpredicable month for weather but late may is usually pretty decent. Would you be able to do something during the week instead of the weekend?

Comment

Weekdays not too good

I had to book all my vacation for 2007 by Feb. 15, and since I now have a boat that needs a LOT of work, I've booked a lot of Friday/ Monday 4-day weekends. Depending when you schedule, I maybe could use one of these for a ride, but mid-week is pretty much out. I DO have May 18 and May 21 scheduled off, so that is a possibility.
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

I don't own a boat, I own 2 Fords and that's close enough for me.

Maybe we could do a one day trip either the 18th or 21st, depending on the weather. The 18th could be the date and if it rains we do the 21st. I bet we could have a blast in northern maryland and have a good story for this thread, instead of hijacking it for a ride meet.
                  whattyathink?

Comment

Working...
                  X