Portland, OR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portland, OR

The wife and I are heading to Portland, Oregon over the 4th of July holiday. Probably not the best time to travel, but our plant is on shut-down so I really don't have a choice.

We chose Portland because it looks like a nice city, it's close to the coast, and has nice scenery and roads. I also heard it has the most microbrews per capita in the US...and I hate beer.

I may post this in the lounge if it doesn't get a lot of attention here, but I had a few questions.

1. Can anyone reccomend a good hotel in the city?

2. What is something we MUST visit or do if we're coming to the area?

3. I want to rent a motorcycle for 2 days or so and do a few tours in the area. Do you know any place that rents motorcycles?

I found a few online and I'll post the links later today.

Thanks in advance,

~Adam

When We are out there on Business they Put Us up at the Country Inn & Suites just a Couple of Miles from the Airport. Pretty Decent Place.

You MUST get over to the Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood, These Pics were Made There.

I'm Pretty Sure the H.D. Dealer (Portis I think?) Rents Bikes. I would Love to go there again Myself.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Hey man, you should PM me with your e-mail and we can talk. Portland is my hometown (and I miss it very much). I can give you the low-down on everything.

PS Portland is called "beer town" because it has 38 breweries, the most of any city, IN THE WORLD

Comment

I have a friend who also grew up there and has been giving me the low-down on the city and area. He's a motorcyclist, so he's hit all these roads too.

A cool article out of Road Runner magazine about visiting Portland. They have tours online too: http://www.rrmotorcycling.com/tours/usa.html

He also likes the Mcminimimans Edgefield: http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?...#37;20Homepage

~Adam

Comment

You should also check out the Laurelwood. One of the cooler brewpubs, so I hear. http://www.laurelwoodbrewpub.com/

I agree on visiting the gorge...a very cool place. Hood River is a good destination for lunch there, and a neat town in itself. If you want to head to the coast, I'd recommend heading out 26 to Seaside and up to Astoria. Astoria's a cool place. You can go up to the top of the hill and climb the Astor column. It provides a really cool view of the Pacific and the Columbia river. Even if its a hot day, a ride to the coast will be nice and cool. Portland has a sternwheeler (sp?) that I have seen but not ridden, a decent (though expensive) art museum, and an overall funkiness that's entertaining in general. The fireworks during the fourth are also some of the best I've seen (though I guess I haven't seen that many). I hope you enjoy our state.

P.S.
          It'd be cool if the local GS'ers could ride with you to mask the the rented Hardley from the public.

Comment

I found a place that rents V-strom 650's - might be tight for me and the wife, but it'll be more fun than a Fatboy!

Comment

So, McMenamins is a great place. There are many. It is a local company that buys old historic buildings and turns them into hotels/movietheatres/restaurant/bars. Kennedy School is my favorite and you can stay there! It is an old elementry school. There are 2 bars in there that are "detention" and "summerschool".

As for the Ocean, go to Cannon Beach. Just south of Seaside. It is your classic quaint town. Be sure to visit Mo's. Another local chain that has the best clam chowder on the west coast.

A ride through the gorge would be beautiful, but be sure to take the old historic highway, not I-84.

Portland is such a beautiful city and no matter where you go, you will be smiling from ear to ear.

Let me know if this helps and if you want more info. I kinda get a little excited about home...

Comment

Here's what I found online for motorcycle rentals:

Mountain to Sound Rentals: http://www.mtsma.com/rentals.htm

Pacific Adventures: http://www.northwestmotorcycleadvent...ikerentals.php

Oregon Motorcycle Rentals: http://oregonmotorcyclerentals.com/

~Adam

Comment

out to the coast

I live in Portland. If you're going out to the coast (which you should), take Hwy 26 East, and make sure to take a left at 53. Junction 26 and 53 is near a small town called Hamlet. Hwy 53 from 26 to the coast is a great ride, not too many cars, winds a lot, rolling and good woods. It'll put you out near Nehalem on the coast, and you can ride up North a bit to Seaside. It's a great ride, and if you're into hiking, check out Oswald West State Park, it's on the ride up the coast from Nehalem to Seaside. Have fun, and yea, the brewpubs are great in Portland.

Comment

Nick,

As we get closer to the dates, I'll let you know what our plans are and maybe we could meet up for a ride...or for a beer somewhere.

~Adam

Comment

I have give give a strong second to McMenamins, we stayed at the white eagle and it was really, really nice. They did a damn good job of making an 1800's type of hotel feel like just that. Might want to bring some earplugs if they're having a band downstairs though!

Comment

If they're having a band downstairs...why are you upstairs?!

Comment

take the washington side of the gorge its a better view

Comment

Multnomah

If it isn't raining, ride up to Multnomah Falls. It's towards Hood River and pretty spectacular. (I used to live in Oregon City).....come to think of it, Willamette Falls, in Oregon City, are pretty cool, too! There's also a really good drive-in there that sells great halibut and chips. (Ask anyone in town where it is.)

P.S. Bridgeport IPA....Mmmmmmmmmmm!
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

People show up just for the hallibut?

Comment

Working...
                              X