Chicago ride, up the lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicago ride, up the lake

In Chicago I've found it somewhat difficult to find a fun place to ride. I haven't taken the time to explore the burbs, but I don't really want to. About the only ride I go out of my way to take is along the lake on lakeshore and follow up along Sheridan road for as long as I feel like riding.

This is a nice little ride. Lakeshore drive is always a nice ride on a good day, just watch for some of the rough spots. Once you get onto Sheridan at first, it can be a little annoying with traffic, but it goes away soon enough. The next thing you know you're surrounded by trees and actuall grass and every once in a while the lake pokes out behind the trees. There's some great curvy roads and beautiful scenery and georgeous houses and architecture to look at along the way.

I always take this drive to clear my head and relax, or just out of boredom. Again, this isn't the best drive I've ever been on, but it's the best I can find in the heart of Chicago.

I have a new bike and am desperately looking for some new roads to check out. If anybody live in the area, I'm very open to hearing some new ideas and suggestions.

Peace

I grew up driving/riding Sheridan Rd up and down the Northshore (lived in Highland Park - now in Buffalo Grove). There's a contingent of Chicagoland GS'rs that try to ride together as often as we can, but we usually wind up making day trips into Wisconsin to find good roads with much less traffic.

PM me your email address and I'll put you on the Chicagoland email list. We usually also post rides in the "Meetingplace" area on this forum.

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Hey I live in Rolling Meadows and would be interested in headin' out whenever you guys are, my e-mail is kvgarrison@comcast.net. Lookin' forward to hearing from you!

Comment

Originally posted by kvgarrison View Post
        Hey I live in Rolling Meadows and would be interested in headin' out whenever you guys are, my e-mail is kvgarrison@comcast.net. Lookin' forward to hearing from you!
        Welcome to the forum! We have a large and very popular rally coming up in two and a half weeks (Oct 5,6,7) called the Galena/Fennimore Rally. Traditionally we've ridden out to Galena on Friday, spent Friday night in Galena, and then ridden up the Iowa "River Road" north and back over to Fennimore, WI where we spent Saturday night. We spend Saturday and Sunday riding the great roads out there as well as hitting the "Slimey Crud Run" on Sunday. It's not too late for you to join us if you're interested. Check out the thread for more information (search "Galena" and you'll find it).

Regards,

Comment

I'd love to be on that mailing list as well. sasper@gmail.com !

Comment

I added both of you to my local Chicagoland maillist and sent out an email so others can add you as well.

Regards,

Comment

Hey Guyz,
              I love riding the Drive, Love the view of the Lake & the skyline. However, I'm a Southsider......Lansing, on the Indiana border. I use to make Sunday morning rides up along the lake & Sheridan Road to the Highland House and onto Milwaukee. But, these days I seem to head East to Michigan....
              Maybe next spring I can show you some of the southshore.
              Duck

Comment

Found a nice Friday night ride was about 200 miles. Took rt 12 NW to 120 E to 41 S into Chicago, picked up LSD to SSD into hammond and caught US30 (Lincoln Highway) back west to 83 N and rode that back north into Rolling Meadows. Started out about 6pm, grabbed dinner, grabbed coffee @ a Starbucks Downtown Chicago, had snack in Hammond, and got back home about 2:30am, it was a good time, rode with a buddy of mine on his 81 KZ650.

Comment

FYI, Sheridan Road is COMPLETELY torn up all the way through Wilmette for the foreseeable future. The detour I recommend would be Sheridan North till Central in Evanston. West to Green Bay, the North to Winnetka Road and back east. This puts you right at the start for the twisty Ravine portion before Glencoe. There's also construction up in Waukegan but I am not as familiar with that area.

Alternately I would go west on Willow off of Green Bay then take a right at ForestView for a wonderful 3 mile ride along the Skokie Lagoons. It will go turn into Hohfelder which will dead end at Westleigh turn right and you curve back to Green Bay Rd. where you can continue north.

I'll do a Google maps later when I have more time.

Comment

Hey Guys, Please add me to your e-mailing list too. I am in Chicago, just outside of Niles/Skokie. I ride into Evanston all the time and ride Sheridan on the nice warm summer days. I'd be up for a ride soon too! :-D - Mike

Email is drgsxr86@yahoo.com

P.S. If you need a phone number, just PM me.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2008, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Also like to be added to the list

Hi, i live in the city by the border of Park Ridge and would like to join you guys on your next ride. My bike is a 1980 GS850GL
                      My email is mcathey2003@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by DRSUZUKI View Post
                        Hey Guys, Please add me to your e-mailing list too. I am in Chicago, just outside of Niles/Skokie. I ride into Evanston all the time and ride Sheridan on the nice warm summer days. I'd be up for a ride soon too! :-D - Mike

Email is drgsxr86@yahoo.com

P.S. If you need a phone number, just PM me.
                        Originally posted by mcathey View Post
                        Hi, i live in the city by the border of Park Ridge and would like to join you guys on your next ride. My bike is a 1980 GS850GL
                        My email is mcathey2003@yahoo.com
                        Added you both to the local email list - I'll shoot out an email so others can add you to the group. See you on the road!

Regards,

Comment

Wisconsin shore of Lake Michigan

All the way along the Lake Michigan shore to Sturgeon Bay is gorgeous! - From there, up through and around Door County, is PARADISE!!!

-- Bill

Comment

I flew into Chicago on 25 Apr and rented a car and drove to Milwaukee for the weekend. I have been all over Chicago before, but never drove the lake route before. It was really beautiful and was a great trip. Some of those roads can stand a repaving, and some places had construction as noted earlier. I sure wish I could have done it on a bike. Maybe one day. I am originally from the Galena area (Elizabeth) and sure want to ride with you guys one of these years when Uncle Sam is done with me.

Comment

Add me too Please

I would love to take a ride with you guys....I live in McHenry NW Burb, please add me to your mail list....thanks....

Austin@mellowmoodz.com....

Comment

Working...
                              X