North central PA rides/riders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North central PA rides/riders?

I'm just curious to find out if there are any GSers that are from my area or ride in my area here in PA (St. Marys, Elk county or neighboring counties).

I do a lot of riding locally, and in neighboring Cameron, McKean, and Potter counties. My little piece of the world has lost of nice rural routes with low traffic most of the time, and nothing but small towns. It's a great area to ride in.

Here's a ride I take often. It's not a long one mind you, only about 120 miles, but it's good for an after work ride.

I start out in my home town of St. Marys, the head 120 east through Emporium to Driftwood, then to Sinnemahoning. From Sinnemahoning I get on Wycoff Run Road and head to the Quehanna highway.

The trip from Emporium to the Quehanna highway is the best part, losts of curves, some nice straights, and very little traffic. If you like curves, Wycoff Run is the road for you. It's 99% curves and winds up through a little valley to Quehanna.

After I get on the Quehanna highway, which is mostly long straights, I head to Medix Run, and then back east on 555 to Driftwood, then Emporium to home.

Like I said, it's not a long ride, but it's one of my favorites.

Here's a little map (edited a bit to show locations that didn't show)

My brother lives in Williamsport

So I'm familiar with the area. I've been busy with working on a sailboat on the Chesapeake, but I'm sure to want to take a fall leaf ride, so feel free to PM me if you want to do a ride. There are a couple other GSers between Philly and you who might want to join us.
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

That would be cool. Another trip I'd like to take is to the PA Grand Canyon. My last trip there was about 10 years in my car. I haven't been there on my bike yet, but it should be a nice ride. Heck, just about anything here in north central PA is a nice ride.

Comment

I know the area you speak of like my backyard. Probably because it is my backyard. Take the left instead of going up Wycoff run and head past the dam to Austin and on to six over to Smethport down to Emporium. Or you could try to find the Tom Mix museum outside of Driftwood along the triple nickle. Better yet, run 120 to Renovo and get on 144 to Galeton. One of the best bike roads in the state.

Comment

I've been on all those roads at one time or another, either in my car or bike, and I agree they are nice roads. In fact I was through Austin/Coudersport/Smethport on the bike just 3 or 4 weeks ago. Driftwood/Sinnemahoning is commonly in my rides, too.

The one ride I'd like to do is 120 Renovo then 144 south to Moshannon.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2007, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Fall ride

Not sure I could definetly make it but a ride that way in the fall would be a great idea. If you manage to get something organized or even if you just get a bunch of replies post it here. If not next summer I wouldn't mind taking a trip out your way. Good luck!
            filerj

Comment

Fall Ride in Central and/or Northern PA

I was wondering what was going on with this idea of a fall leaf run to the PA Grand Canyon or something? I know that time is running out, but thought I would ask if this is still of interest for this or next weekend. I am one of the Philly area Gsers that was mentioned as maybe wanting to join in the fun. Anyone that knows the area, if your interested come up with a time and place for meeting. [-o<

Comment

Watervill PA, camping/riding weekend

Hey folks, I tried to rustle up some interest for a weekend event last September in Waterville,PA. We were down there from Thursday to Monday, the weekend after Labor day. We stayed at Happy Acres resort, a biker friendly place with plenty of ammenities for all types of camping. It is big enough to handle a large group, but still offer plenty of privacy if you want. We have stayed there several times and really love it. The roads are great and the scenery is wonderful. We would like to make this a yearly event for the GS people in the North East. If there is sufficient interest I will try to set the wheels in motion to set it up.\\/

Comment

Philly area here

I try to do a few trips a year and would love to make it out to your neck of the woods this spring or summer.

Comment

So Would I!!!!
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2008, 12:45 PM.

Comment

AHEM!!!

You guys aren't far from my rally really... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=117203

No excuses!!! Show up - it's a good time!

Comment

The weather is almost ready and so are the GS bikes. Who is up for a day trip from the philly area up to Tioga county and back?
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                          The weather is almost ready and so are the GS bikes. Who is up for a day trip from the philly area up to Tioga county and back?

One GS is ready, the other, well moving slower than I had hoped, however I'm really hoping to devote more time to it in the near future.

Amos

Comment

I will be up for a nice ride very shortly. My 750 is getting some needed love and will be ready to go in about a week. I have a week off starting March 17th and am itching for a ride. Lets get one together.

Comment

Let's pick a day and make a day trip starting from the Delaware county area where Doug is. I can think of two other GS riders we could start with if they are up for it.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X