No announcement yet.

From the middle of BC to the bottom left corner (PG-Vancouver) and back again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the middle of BC to the bottom left corner (PG-Vancouver) and back again

Pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&id=739525703

Went down for a wedding. Some nice riding - got a new chain in Vancouver. The new fairing smashed lots of bugs and I think it increased fuel efficiency. Still need to get pinstripes or paint them on.

Road highlights:

The Duffey Lake Road (highway 99). Beautiful scenery, nice twisties, too bad the asphalt is about as smooth as Bryan Adams' face. It was 3 hours out of Vancouver before I could open the throttle because the highway up to Whistler is being rebuilt for the Olympics. Despite this, it was still worth it and the other way out of Vancouver is almost as long, full of traffic and pretty boring unless you know the backroads.

The 99 and the 12 north and south of Lillooet is fantastic. No traffic, excellent pavement and the scent of sagebrush filling my helmet.

Mt Begbie fire lookout 16km south of 100 Mile House was an incredible spot to see the lunar eclipse on the way back and camp for the night. Don't tell anyone, but one can ride a bike right up to the watchtower and sleep up there for the sunset and rise. View for 200km in every direction. Don't miss it.

Pg?

did you start from Prince George or Williams Lake? Either one kind of qualifies as middle of nowhere - but a good kind of nowhere, I'd say.

I was one the highway outside of PG once, coming from Jasper and there was so little traffic I wondered if there had been a nuclear holocaust or something...

Best road was t'other side of the Fraser River from the highway, coming from Lilloet to Big Bar. The only other traffic I saw was a family of bears.

Cool thing was coming into Jesmond - there was a Middle Ages re-enactors fest that weekend, and in the grocery store were knights and jesters and such.

Comment

Originally posted by rkubik View Post
      did you start from Prince George or Williams Lake? Either one kind of qualifies as middle of nowhere - but a good kind of nowhere, I'd say.

I was one the highway outside of PG once, coming from Jasper and there was so little traffic I wondered if there had been a nuclear holocaust or something...

Best road was t'other side of the Fraser River from the highway, coming from Lilloet to Big Bar. The only other traffic I saw was a family of bears.

Cool thing was coming into Jesmond - there was a Middle Ages re-enactors fest that weekend, and in the grocery store were knights and jesters and such.
      I started and returned to PG which essentially is a holocaust city with it's 3 pulp mills and the stink that accumulates in the topographic bowl that contains the city.

Is the Lilloeet to Big Bar road paved? If so, where does it connect with the other side?
      When I was a kid, my family and I took an aerial ferry around there somewhere. It was a small platform for 2 or 3 cars and it zipped across the canyon - felt like floating. Don't know if it still exists but man was it cool!

Comment

t'other side of the river

that road is not paved, but it is a good quality pickup-truck type road, not bad if you take it easy. It's ony toward the north (Big Bar ferry) end that it gets more loose and sandy. Pretend you're in Mexico.

From Lilloet, you follow the main street past Home Hardware, cross a bridge and there you are. Keep the Fraser River on your right and can't miss it.

From the other end, take the Big Bar ferry to the west side of the river, and follow the track south. No other place to go anyway.

PG does stink, dunnit. I was there in the 1970s.

Comment

Working...
        X