Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vancouver to the Kootenays

photos:

Did this trip last summer, shortly after I bought my GS400. It proved itself.

Everything in the Koots is great. The scenery, the roads, the hikes and campsites (they fill up early so reserve if you wanna stay in provincial sites - especially Nelson). The recommended speed limits for the corners in the mountains are a pretty good rule of thumb until you get a feel for the roads - they can be tricky.

All over the Kootenays, there are hotsprings not far from the highway and easily accesible if you venture down some logging roads and amazing lakes to swim in.
    I caught an excellent car show in Nelson. There is always something going on in there.

Road highlights - everything except the Coquihalla (#5) and the 97C (which I stayed away from and you should too).

The east side of Kootenay Lake (highway 3A) boasts one of the best rides in the province and has a ferry on either end (great campsite in Riondel). Usually bikes are ushered to the front of the boat so you won't be stuck at the back of the line on the other side.

Between Kaslo and New Denver (both quaint towns with good campsites) the 31A is a dynamite road and hosts the ghost town Sandon along it where a logging road branches off. After 14 km up, a trail along the ridge in the alpine offers a short hike to the fire lookout Idaho Peak. I took the bike to the top of the road but should have stashed the luggage in the bushes at the bottom. It's a rough road, but the view is worth it if there aren't too many forest fires (the smoke).

If you can ever get to the Kootenays this time of year - do it. You won't be dissappointed.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2009, 12:48 AM.

Nice pics. I grew up in Seattle, WA but never made it up into BC much. Looks like a great ride.

Comment

Beautiful photos! Looks like a great adventure, thanks for sharing. Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I've been living and riding in the Koots for almost thirty years, glad you really enjoyed it. If you're headed this way from the coast avoid the Coquihalla as mentioned. Four lanes of super slab ....yuck. The second best way to get here if you have to stay in Canada is Hwy #3. The absolute best way is to find Sedro Wooley in NW Washington State and take Hwy 20 to NE Washington State then cross back into BC. That will put you just south of Nelson, Kaslo, New Denver area. Great roads!!!
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Great sunday ride try North Vancouver to Pemberton early before the traffic and if you're gonna gawk at the scenery drive slow or you'll end up swimming.... If you have more time follow up with Pemberton over to the Fraser Canyon be vigilant up there they have great big deer....not good handlebar ornaments!!

Comment

I grew up in the Kootenays, Fruitvale to be exact, Nelson is great, friends had a place in Balfour (nelson side of the ferry). Too bad I cant see the pix anymore, but Ive seen it already, ha!

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
              I grew up in the Kootenays, Fruitvale to be exact, Nelson is great, friends had a place in Balfour (nelson side of the ferry). Too bad I cant see the pix anymore, but Ive seen it already, ha!
              just updated the photo link.
              Hoping to get back there this summer.

Comment

Wonderful territory!

Nice trip, excellent camera eye. The terrain is fantastic! You may want to come here to the Midwest and enjoy our great plains, long flat highways and endless corn fields! You'll be so surprised the first time you pass by one of our great hog farms.
                I think what I really want to ask is: Do you think a GS400 is powerful enough and comfortable for long road trips?
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

i agree the riding in the coutenays is great the west is very twisty and the east is a bit straiter in spots but still very nice .
                  i think a trip there might be in the ride plan for this year ,the best time to ride there is in the first 2 weeks of sept no tourists, only a wisper of motorhomes and a ton of beautiful scenery.
                  it must have been a hell of a ride on a gs 400 with bags..last time i was there it was on my hot rod gs1000now that was fun.
                  if you are ever going to merritt look me up ..........toolman

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    Nice trip, excellent camera eye. The terrain is fantastic! You may want to come here to the Midwest and enjoy our great plains, long flat highways and endless corn fields! You'll be so surprised the first time you pass by one of our great hog farms.
                    I think what I really want to ask is: Do you think a GS400 is powerful enough and comfortable for long road trips?
                    Thanks for the kind words. I would love to hit the midwest.

For the kind of tripping I do, its perfect. It's comfortable enough, but its no Goldwing. I pack light with a teeny hammock and a down sleeping bag. I don't carry much food, preferring to eat at restaurants, but there is often a 6 pack strapped to the back before the last stop for the night.
                    I'm 150, maybe 160lbs with my leathers. BC is mountainous, with many high passes but also has some desert (like eastern Washington). All round, my 400 is a wicked ride.

THere have been a few times that I wish she0 would grow extra pistons, but for 90% of my riding, my 400 hums happily at 90-110(kph). Until I know a corner intimately, I'm not pushing the bike too hard anyway. I've coaxed a bit more speed out of her since a hearty tune-up and attaching a fairing, but seldom want to top out (unless a few hours from home after 3+days on the road).

One day, I may move up to a v-strom 650 or something similar, but after many 2000km trips, I still love the little 400 and yet have very little desire to 'trade up'.

Comment

Working...
                    X