One of my favorite New England rides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my favorite New England rides

This ride has got to be near the top of my list of favorites. The Kancamagus Highway and Route 118 in New Hampshire are some of the best roads around.

I did this yesterday on a glorious high heat late summer day. I left Portland around 1:00 - had some chores to do in the morning - and pulled back into the drive around 7:30. Beat but still smiling. I even stopped for a swim in the Swift River off the Kanc. It doesn't get much better.

The section of 118 that is known as the Sawyer Highway- the part that is west of 93- is my second favorite road in New England next to Rt 17 the Appalachian Gap. It's an hour and 45 minutes to Warren from my house on the back roads, I go there often. I'm jealous you were there yesterday!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I started up that way yesterday about 10:30am but by the time I got to Plymouth the mountains looked like they were getting some weather, and I didn't have rain gear. So, I headed east on 175 to Holderness, then down to Meredith, thru the Weirs and along the big lake to Alton and hung out there for a while, then over 140 and home by 1:30pm. Only did about 90 miles but it turned out to be a great day to ride..wish I had continued north, I might have run into you Mike!

Comment

It was an awesome day. Saw lots of bikes out. Even a GK with a side car! We should plan a group ride there soon, Saturdays work best for me. Maybe we could meet in Plymouth at the Micky Ds just off 93, or someplace easy like that. We could meet at 10:30 or 11:00. It took me about 3 hours to get to Plymouth.

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
        The section of 118 that is known as the Sawyer Highway- the part that is west of 93- is my second favorite road in New England next to Rt 17 the Appalachian Gap. It's an hour and 45 minutes to Warren from my house on the back roads, I go there often. I'm jealous you were there yesterday!
        Appalachian Gap - I haven't been over there in ages. It's not an easy day ride for me, probably have to stay somewhere along the way to make it work. What kind of ride do you do? Is there a loop or something?

Originally posted by edbot View Post
        I started up that way yesterday about 10:30am but by the time I got to Plymouth the mountains looked like they were getting some weather, and I didn't have rain gear. So, I headed east on 175 to Holderness, then down to Meredith, thru the Weirs and along the big lake to Alton and hung out there for a while, then over 140 and home by 1:30pm. Only did about 90 miles but it turned out to be a great day to ride..wish I had continued north, I might have run into you Mike!
        Too bad we didn't hook up. I waited out the one thunderstorm I ran into under cover at a gas station. I had stopped to fill up and once I came back out of the store it was starting to rain. I pulled the bike under an overhang. When I left 20 minutes later the road was still pretty wet, but up the road a couple of miles it was dry as a bone, never got any rain there at all!

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
          Appalachian Gap - I haven't been over there in ages. It's not an easy day ride for me, probably have to stay somewhere along the way to make it work. What kind of ride do you do? Is there a loop or something?
          Well, last night I tried to map out what I call the VT Tour De Gaps, which I think I have perfected on my last tour a month or so ago. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to save the route as a jpeg or something. Anyway, it's a fantastic loop starting in White River Junction VT that basically hops back and forth over the Green Mountains all day long. The loop is about 200 miles and hit's some of the twistiest and most scenic roads I have been on in the Northeast. I'm gonna try and do it again this year, I'll let you know when and maybe you can join me!
          Currently bikeless
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Looks like a great ride emjay! ENVY!;-)

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
            ....Unfortunately I can't figure out how to save the route as a jpeg or something.
            Would a "Print Screen" work and then work with it in M-S Word?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
              Looks like a great ride emjay! ENVY!;-)

Would a "Print Screen" work and then work with it in M-S Word?
              I was using my laptop with Garmin MapSource on it. One of my other machines has MS MapPoint which I know I can save as a jpeg or something, so I'll try that tonight.
              Currently bikeless

Comment

I just returned from a trip to the White Mountains. I rode what they call the loop. It was the Kancamagus Highway and Rt. 302. After that I rode my bike to the top of Mt. Washington. What a view.

Comment

That sounds great. I've never been up Mt. Washington on my bike. Maybe next trip over there.

Comment

Mt. Washington Ride

Thought you would like to see this. The ride up is not for the faint hearted. Portions of the road are not paved and there are no guardrails.

Comment

Originally posted by Canman View Post
                      Thought you would like to see this. The ride up is not for the faint hearted. Portions of the road are not paved and there are no guardrails.

Where's the bike ????
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Bike Pic

The bike is a 1981 GS850. Kerker 4 into 1, Stage 3 kit, and pods. Still getting it back into shape.

Comment

Bike Pic

Sorry Keith,
                          I am a newbie figuring out image posting. I`ll get it. The bike still needs work. Doing one thing at a time. Working on fork seals now.

Comment

Alright. Now I know why I agreed to get a bike again when my son was grown and had one of his own. As a New Englander thats been in exile for most of 40 years, I drove my son up the Kanc about 6 years ago on one of our 4 wheeled driving vacas. Thats when I fell backj in love with New England. Now you've gone and done it. I was gonna drive the Blue Ridge, but now, I must make a trip there in my lifetime from cincinnati .

Comment

Excellent Paulyboy, you'll love it. The foliage is still pretty nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X