Riding to Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding to Alaska?

On my list of things to do in the next three to five years is a ride to Alaska. (And back, hopefully...)

Just to give the right perspective, I live in Indianapolis -- about 3,700 miles from Fairbanks and 4,400 miles from Anchorage, according to Google. (Seattle is about 2,250 miles from here.)

This trip might not necessarily be on my GS, but it's something I've always thought about, and I've often wondered whether it's worthwhile.

Any thoughts?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

It's been on my 5 year list for about 30 years.
    I'll go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

One of my Rider Coach (MSF) buddies has done it every year for the past 8 (I think) except this last year, because he had too many other obligations. He rides a BMW, but a GS set up properly could surpass his Beemer almost all the tiime. As we said in the Navy, Prior Planning Prevents P**S Poor Performance........
      He has been doing it with Aerostich (his part time job), and his beemer destroys parts all the time. Done right, on a GS, anybody here could do the trip with a whole lot less grief than the Beemer owners seem to experience...

Comment

Do some searches. Several riders have posted logs of their experiences. There is a yearly book about the Alaska Highway called the Milepost. I hope to do this some day as well.

Comment

So once every 10 years we don't do all the other smaller rides .. and have this one big one.

Comment

I have gone to a Wing rally in Nebraska for the past several years. A couple of years ago, one of the attendees stopped by on his way back from the Arctic Circle. He left a few assorted pieces of plastic behind, but the Wing made it from (and back to) Alabama with no problem.

It won't be obvious to most of the GS bunch, but there is a body-color panel missing below the radiator,
            and also a silver-color panel below that, which covered the horns and exhaust pipes.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              On my list of things to do in the next three to five years is a ride to Alaska. (And back, hopefully...)

Just to give the right perspective, I live in Indianapolis -- about 3,700 miles from Fairbanks and 4,400 miles from Anchorage, according to Google. (Seattle is about 2,250 miles from here.)

This trip might not necessarily be on my GS, but it's something I've always thought about, and I've often wondered whether it's worthwhile.

Any thoughts?
              If you get serious about this, let me know. My wife actually suggested/asked if this type of trip was feasible. I wouldn't do it in the GS. This would definitely be a job for the Voyager.

Comment

Friend of mine did it last year on a BMW GS. 600+ miles a day for 10 days straight!
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Sounds like a great adventure, a one-in-a-lifetime type of thing. Go for it, Brian. I've visited Alaska, though not by motorcycle, and it's worth it.

One thought -- don't expect much road riding up there. The total number of miles, altogether, in the entire huge State is about 14,000 miles. People go up there to ride THE ROAD, not to ride THE ROADS. Pavement doesn't last very long; before you know it, you're on dirt.

My wife has a cousin who's a BMW rider; he and his wife live in Anchorage. He's flying into my area in 2009 for 3 weeks. I'll borrow a bike for him, and we can go off and he'll ride the roads of his lifetime! Can't wait to put him on the Blue Ridge Parkway on two wheels -- he'll go bananas...

Alaskans come down to "the Outside" to ride the roads. We "outsiders" go up there for the incredible scenery, and total awe of the place.

Go for it.

Comment

Brian, keep that dream alive.

Tell ya a funny. I rode my GS1100 from San Jose to Phoenix to visit my Mom. About a 750 mile journey. I was on the last leg and made a pitstop in Wickenburg, AZ. Kinda proud of myself for the long ride (two days).

A dressed out and loaded down Harley pulls up at the next pump. "Where ya in from?", I ask. He spits a wad and says "Anchorage...on my way to Tucson"

Dang! He was livin' his dream. Now that's a road warrior!

Comment

On the one hand a 'Wing with it's proven reliability and comfort would seem to be the perfect cruiser for that sort of ride ... on the other hand, a GS with it's more basic repair requirements enroute might be the better choice IF a problem arises.

Personally, I think I'd choose the comfort of the 'Wing.

Great trip idea, Brian!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post

Personally, I think I'd choose the comfort of the 'Wing.
                        Don't know that I'd want an 800 pound motorcycle to do thousands of miles of dirt riding.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Don't know that I'd want an 800 pound motorcycle to do thousands of miles of dirt riding.
                          I don't know the exact weight, but my fully dressed "G" isn't THAT far off the mark AND certainly isn't as capable with the weight as the new "Wings" are ... Therefore I kinda think it's a "wash" in terms of performance on less than optimal roads.

Regards,

Comment

That's one interesting bit -- sitting here in Indianapolis, it's difficult to find out how much of the route might be gravel or dirt.

As best I can tell, you can get to AK on pavement (aside from construction detours), but that's not very interesting and you won't have much to do there if you stick to pavement.

And for the record, a GS850 works beautifully on gravel roads, and works far better on dirt/mud/crappy roads than it has any right to. I have buried mine to the hubs in unexpected mud, crossed creeks, powered through sand, and slithered up mountainside gravel roads in the rain.

As well-behaved as it is, it certainly is a heavy beast when things get slippery. But there's no chain to clean... :mrgreen:

Personally, I'd love to make this sort of trip on my GS. I would have no qualms about riding it to Alaska or anywhere else.

With the high rate of catastrophic final drive failures out there, I'd sure hate to own a new BMW right now, and a BMW twin is about the only bike that appeals to me these days.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

If this happens, be sure and stop in Bellingham if you come through this way. I know a place that makes great burgers.

Comment

Working...
                              X