A little too early for mt roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little too early for mt roads

For all you folks freezing in the East, It's been really nice here for two weeks. I went over to the Pacific coast for work on Thursday. I was up on a roof and it got warm. So I decided I should go see how the Nestucca River road fared for the winter. This road starts at Hwy 101 (which runs along the ocean) up over the Coast Range and pops out in a corner of the valley. It's a small road, it starts as just a road on each end, gets down to a forest road, then has a center of 1-2 miles of gravel. It winds down an incredibly beautiful canyon that is typically the epitome of what most people think of Oregon ,green, green and more green, and toss in migrating salmon and steelhead.

So, I started in from the coast, stooped and checked out the river

Most of the rec areas were closed, with shut gates. I kept going and found this 120' alder that had fallen across the road. Someone had come along and cut out the center

A bit farther up I found some snow

Then it got worse

I went a bit further and just about got stuck a mile after that photo. The road was blocked with snow, and I wasn't near the pass yet. I managed to extract myself and turn around, forcing myself to go up over Bible Creek Rd instead (which gets more sun and only had some snow)

I think I'll wait a bit and try again. This road is imperitive to my coast loop.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Originally posted by Big T View Post
    I managed to extract myself and turn around
    Good thing. I think Sasquatch was right around the next cornor !! 8-[
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Cool man. I feel a PNW ride comin' on.

Comment

Good one Big T. Maybe some rides this summer. This one for sure...............

Comment

Great photos. I've got another road for you - if you get north of the border check out Highway 40 out of Princeton BC. Basically follows the old Kettle Valley R.R. from Tulameen through Princeton to Osprey Lake. No traffic, decent pavement, good food and bevs at each end.

Comment

Working...
          X