GS1100E 82-83 Harness differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E 82-83 Harness differences

Final update; se the picture that is the only required change to convert a new 82 GS1100EZ (still available for purchase) to the 83 GS1100ED

Apparently going from 82 to 83 Suzuki fixed a problem with a spare ground wire that had been added to the 82 and incorporated it into the connector on the 83. It was a matter of cutting off the 82 connector from the harness and splicing in those connectons as well as the dangling ground to the old 83 connector. All color codes seemed to track between years.

There may have been differences with the way the stator conencted but I did a direct solder connection on that anyway. For the R/R the Electrosport replacement I had was a direct connecton as well. So except for these relatively minor adjustments the rest of the harness matched connector for connector and by wire color code.

I checked a couple of vendors and I found a small issue with the Flatout Harness numbers listed for the 1983 GS1100ED; they list the -49500 number but from other sources I found:

36610-49500 is the 1982 GS1100EZ
    36610-49520 is the 1983 GS1100ED
    36610-49530 is the 1983 GS1100ES

Only the EZ version seems to be avaliable at the moment. I hope it is not too different from the ED

Anybody know what the difference is?

Posplayr

EDIT: The only difference between an 83 1100ED and the 82 1100EZ harnesses is the connector to the turn signal relay.

Apparently going from 82 to 83 Suzuki fixed a problem with a spare ground wire that had been added to the 82 and incorporated it into the connector on the 83. It was a matter of cutting off the 82 connector from the harness and splicing in those connectons as well as the dangling ground to the old 83 connector. All color codes seemed to track between years.
    Last edited by posplayr; 04-29-2011, 02:44 PM.

Well, from D to Z is about 22 letters. :-\"

Last edited by Steve; 04-18-2008, 12:34 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Harness on the way.

Just got e-mail notification that my order which included a new harness was shipped yesterday. The original order was 4/16/08 and it will be here 5/5/08 (shipped yesterday) according to UPS. Not the fastest, but it is the lowest price.

I have not ordered anything that they have not had. There were some fairing pieces from an 83 GS750ES I guess they did not have but I think this is another success story.

As noted above this is actually the harness for the 82, but I'm assuming it is close enough.

Posplayr

Part Number: 36610-49500
      Description: WIRING HARNESS for 1983 Suzuki Suzuki Order Quantity: 1 Shipped Quantity: 1 Unit Price: $145.07 Total Cost: $145.07
      Last edited by posplayr; 04-30-2008, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I just replaced that harness two weeks ago. Same vender and part number. No problems what so ever, but man it is a pain with getting the wires placed right in the head light shell.

Comment

j31driver

I'm hoping to follow the manual routing layouts. My PO's had rerouted and re connectorized various things so I don't really want to believe any of that.

What is the trick with the headlamp shell? (if any).

Posplayr

Comment

If you have the Factory wire diagrams, then go by that. That deff. helped me on the re wire. Just take your time and if you have a ohm meter that can help you out as well. One area I found was some of the colors on the old harness were very faded compared to the new one.

Comment

Just searching around and found this old thread.

I originally started this thread to find out what were the differences between the 82 GS1100EZ and the 83 GS1100ED harnesses. The EZ is currently the only one avaliable. Well after ordering a new harness for my ED, and having replaced all of the electrical parts that the PO had previously hacked (like the starter button/switch on right hand control), everything hooked up exactly the same except for the turn signal relay mounted next to the starter selonoid. I think that is what it was anyway.

There may have been differences with the way the stator conencted but I did a direct solder connection on that anyway. For the R/R the Electrosport replacement I had was a direct connecton as well. So except for these relatively minor adjustments the rest of the harness matched connector for connector and by wire color code.

Another happy ending

Pos

Comment

Posplayr; Which is your supplier?

Comment

Originally posted by jacora View Post
                  Posplayr; Which is your supplier?
                  What he said

Comment

The '82 GS1100E wiring harness is available from any Suzuki dealer for about $200.

sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Good luck with that...Suzuki says the part is on BACKORDER.
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                        Good luck with that...Suzuki says the part is on BACKORDER.
                        If it says backorder and not discontinued, then it is still available.

Many, many Japanese automotive parts supply chains have been disrupted by the tsunami and flooding. Until it says discontinued, then it's still out there, somewhere.
                        sigpic

SUZUKI:
                        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Yeah, I know that...it is just frustrating, because I want to ride NOW, and not wait for an indefinite amount of time Would rather not pull the old harness off and build a duplicate. *sigh*
                          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

I recently changed the harness on a 1000G. I wish I had printed out the routing from the factory manual. It would have been easier, and ultimately a little bit better job.

it was a very nice used harness though.

I will have to work on the harness on my brother's 1000G. It isn't routed correctly, and the left handlebar plug got too close to the head and got all warped.

The factory routing also makes sure that everything is long enough.

I didn't know it was in there until afterwards.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                            X