Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking a little trip, looking for suggestions for detours!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a little trip, looking for suggestions for detours!

My brother and I are taking a two month long trip on our motorcycles and we are looking to spend as much time off the express way as possible. If you have any good route suggestions, interesting detours or destinations along the way we would love to hear them!

Also, If you live along the route and want to let a couple of guys setup camp in your back yard for over night and show us around we would love that too!

Our route (generally speaking):

First Leg: We plan on leaving Appleton, Wisconsin and heading up to a cabin in northern Wisconsin to stay for a week with family (B on Map), then we are going to head over to the Mississippi and the Great River Road (hwy 35) and stay over night at the Frontnac State Park.

Second Leg: We will follow The Great River Road to Tennessee and at some point head over to Nashville.

Third Leg: Head back to the Mississippi and New Orleans/Mississippi delta area.

Fouth Leg: Follow the coast down to the Florida Keys and ride Hwy 1 over the ocean.

Fifth Leg: Follow the east coast up to the Carolinas and visit my sister in Southern Pines, North Carolina.

Sixth Leg: Drive through the mountains towards Washington DC, stay in DC with some friends.

Seventh Leg: Drive to New York, NY and stay with friends.

Final Leg: Follow the Great Lakes, possibly go through upper Michigan.

We plan on camping this whole trip, doing between 200 and 400 miles a day and taking breaks as necessary. We will be packed light, having just the essentials, a laptop (or similar), a cell phone and a GPS. We are not on any kind of schedule, except that we are leaving mid June, stopping by my sister in NC around mid July and coming back mid August.

I'm going to try to get a web site setup with a map of our progress, pictures and a sort of blog to track our progress. I will post a link if/when that happens...

Any suggestions or offers of hospitality are greatly appreciated!

You dont look old enough to be retired.

When are you going ? Id ride with you from Prescott down to Frontnac State Park if the timing is right. That is a very scenic park that has views for miles up and down the Mississippi.

Heres a shot from the park.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 04-24-2008, 11:06 PM.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

LOL, mini-retirement

We should be coming through on the 21st of June, which just happens to be a Saturday... so if that works out, great! The more the merrier!

Comment

Originally posted by realslacker View Post
        LOL, mini-retirement

We should be coming through on the 21st of June, which just happens to be a Saturday... so if that works out, great! The more the merrier!
        Don't worry about more......On a nice weekend day that stretch is a steady stream of all things motorcycles. Don't stop in Prescott for lunch. The Hardly crew are lined up out the doors !
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Why do you guys always go south????? We've got great twisty scenic roads to ride way up nort' here, in between the rain, snow, fog and hail storms. What a bunch of party poopers.......:roll: We've got more of the same predicted this weekend, and I'm teaching a MSF BRC course in Duluth, it looks like it might get ugly...........

Comment

I'm with you, north over south anyday.:-D North or south, either way sounds like a great trip. Have fun and be safe.

Andy
            Last edited by ALB80-850; 04-24-2008, 10:38 PM. Reason: hit wrong button
            1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
            1984 GS1100GK
            1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
            1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
            1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Hey, at least he is showing signs of being an experienced rider.

I have heard it said that newer riders pick a destination before they head out.

Experienced riders pick a direction. 8-[

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not only are we picking just a direction, we are stating time frames in months :-D

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Hey, at least he is showing signs of being an experienced rider.

I have heard it said that newer riders pick a destination before they head out.

Experienced riders pick a direction. 8-[

Comment

Hey, I'm from Wisconsin... I get to enjoy the back roads up north every year... rain, sleet, snow and all

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                  Why do you guys always go south????? We've got great twisty scenic roads to ride way up nort' here, in between the rain, snow, fog and hail storms. What a bunch of party poopers.......:roll: We've got more of the same predicted this weekend, and I'm teaching a MSF BRC course in Duluth, it looks like it might get ugly...........

Comment

Final leg - If you are a little saddle sore in MI - catch the US Badger back to Manitowoc.
                    Hondas
                    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                    Suzuki
                    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                    Kaw
                    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

while you're on the great river road through southern illinois, make sure you stop in alton. lots of history (lincoln douglas debate site, confederate prison, piasa bird legend, cahokia mounds a bit further south), plus if you're into the ghostie thing, we're supposed to be one of the most haunted towns in america (saw some creepy stuff on night shift with the PD). anyways, good luck and just make sure to take a ton of pictures!

Comment

Will do! I'm not much of a believer, but you never know...

Originally posted by scottp8113 View Post
                        while you're on the great river road through southern illinois, make sure you stop in alton. lots of history (lincoln douglas debate site, confederate prison, piasa bird legend, cahokia mounds a bit further south), plus if you're into the ghostie thing, we're supposed to be one of the most haunted towns in america (saw some creepy stuff on night shift with the PD). anyways, good luck and just make sure to take a ton of pictures!

Comment

My brother and I are taking a two month long trip on our motorcycles and we are looking to spend as much time off the express way as possible. If you have any good route suggestions, interesting detours or destinations along the way we would love to hear them!

Also, If you live along the route and want to let a couple of guys setup camp in your back yard for over night and show us around we would love that too!

Our route (generally speaking):

First Leg: We plan on leaving Appleton, Wisconsin and heading up to a cabin in northern Wisconsin to stay for a week with family (B on Map), then we are going to head over to the Mississippi and the Great River Road (hwy 35) and stay over night at the Frontnac State Park.

Second Leg: We will follow The Great River Road to Tennessee and at some point head over to Nashville.

Third Leg: Head back to the Mississippi and New Orleans/Mississippi delta area.

Fouth Leg: Follow the coast down to the Florida Keys and ride Hwy 1 over the ocean.

Fifth Leg: Follow the east coast up to the Carolinas and visit my sister in Southern Pines, North Carolina.

Sixth Leg: Drive through the mountains towards Washington DC, stay in DC with some friends.

Seventh Leg: Drive to New York, NY and stay with friends.

Final Leg: Follow the Great Lakes, possibly go through upper Michigan.

We plan on camping this whole trip, doing between 200 and 400 miles a day and taking breaks as necessary. We will be packed light, having just the essentials, a laptop (or similar), a cell phone and a GPS. We are not on any kind of schedule, except that we are leaving mid June, stopping by my sister in NC around mid July and coming back mid August.

I'm going to try to get a web site setup with a map of our progress, pictures and a sort of blog to track our progress. I will post a link if/when that happens...

Any suggestions or offers of hospitality are greatly appreciated!

Second Leg: Memphis, Beale Street for some music and clubs. There are a few BBQ places if you like BBQ(let me know I know some great BBQ all over the south).

Third leg: The Natchez Trace Parkway runs for 404 miles between a point near Franklin, Tennessee (south of Nashville) to just north of Natchez, Mississippi. Apart from a gap in the Jackson, Mississippi area the Parkway is continuous. http://www.johncletheroe.org/usa_can/scenroad/ntp.htm

Fifth leg: Daytona Beach, Savannah, Charleston. Deal's Gap (The Dragon's Tail) http://www.dealsgap.com/ .

The Blue Ridge Parkway, administered by the National Park Service, runs along the ridge of the Blue Ridge Mountains for 469 miles from the southern tip of Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, south to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina and Tennessee. The Parkway is continuous with no gaps.

If the highly scenic Skyline Drive (97 miles long) through the Shenandoah National Park at the northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway and the equally excellent Newfound Gap road (26 miles long) through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park at the southern end are both added then the total distance from Front Royal, Virginia to Gatlinburg, Tennessee is 592 miles, all on National Park Service roads. Technically the Blue Ridge Parkway itself does not extend into Tennessee. However, the Newfound Gap road through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a natural extension to the southern end of the Parkway, so Tennessee is included in these notes as if it were truly a state through which the Parkway runs.

Seventh Leg: Peter Lugar's New York for a steak.

If I come across anything else I'll post it.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2008, 04:03 PM.

Comment

What do ya mean, UP NORTH????
                            Y'all are sooooo down south, Gawga folk might even unnerstan' y'all....:-D\\/
                            Hey, I'm from Wisconsin... I get to enjoy the back roads up north every year... rain, sleet, snow and all

Comment

If you've never been, try to make a stop at the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, 'Bama. Allow at least three hours on site.

Comment

Working...
                              X