Headin' out from Chicago Memorial Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headin' out from Chicago Memorial Day

Hey guys, I got clearance from the tower to ride out for 4 days over Memorial Day, first off, anybody wanna go? Second, where are we goin'? Iwas planning to go around Lake Michigan but now I think due to traffic and early spring weather it would probably be better to head south, any suggestions? This is my first overnight road trip in about ten years and I don't really care where I go as long as it's no traffic and I'm home Monday night. I will not camp out, sleazy motel is my game, I did enough campin' in the Army to last a lifetime!\\/

I think I'll head from Chicago to Lexington, Kentucky, then to Nashville, Tenn, off to Memphis, Tenn, up to St. Louis, into Springfield, IL, and back home. Off highway the trip is about 1,475 miles,. I'll leave thursday night and be back home monday night Memorial Day (maybe).:shock: Either way should be fun, if I'm cutting it short I can always turn due north and hot foot it home for work on tuesday. Anyway, I think that's my route generally speaking, I'll post any changes, anybody's welcome to come if you got the time, especially anyone from Chicago! I have two other riders already commited, but no GSers, just a Honda and a Harley, both full dress baggers:shock:. Good friends of mine though:-D

Comment

My recommendation would be Rt. 66. It's a little poky between Chicago and St. Louis, but there are a lot of great sights to see, and once you clear St. Louis, a lot of places there is NO traffic. Buy one of the Rt. 66 guidebooks, and enjoy the Mother Road!
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by kvgarrison View Post
        Hey guys, I got clearance from the tower to ride out for 4 days over Memorial Day, first off, anybody wanna go? Second, where are we goin'? Iwas planning to go around Lake Michigan but now I think due to traffic and early spring weather it would probably be better to head south, any suggestions? This is my first overnight road trip in about ten years and I don't really care where I go as long as it's no traffic and I'm home Monday night. I will not camp out, sleazy motel is my game, I did enough campin' in the Army to last a lifetime!\\/
        Would love to go but the BC Rally is my get away for May. Already have family plans for Memorial day. Are you going to BC?
        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
          Would love to go but the BC Rally is my get away for May. Already have family plans for Memorial day. Are you going to BC?
          I have my daughter's ballet recital that weekend, maybe one day she will not be in ballet but for now that is the most important thing to her so it is THE most important thing to me too!\\/

Comment

Working...
          X