no fire on cylinders1 &4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no fire on cylinders1 &4

i have a1982 gs1100 which has quit firing on 1 &4 cylinders.i swapped the coils with 2&3 coils and it is not the coils.the cdi igniter has a burnt place on the circuit so i replaced it with a known good cdi igniter.still no fire,my question is on the pickup coils on the right side of the bike at the end of the crankshaft is the bolt a counter clockwise threaded bolt and does it require lock tite because i cannot get it to budge.all help to get my bike running is appreciated.could the pickup coil for 1& 4 be bad?

See if your getting power to the coil. With the ignition on and the kill switch on run check both wires going into the coil. One should be hot.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

both coils are hot with 12 volt probe/

Comment

If you swap the 1&4 coil with the 2&3 coil does the problem follow the coil or stay with 1&4?
        Are all the wires connected at the crank trigger?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

the problem stays with 1&4/

Comment

wires are connected at crank trigger

Comment

Did the igniter come out of a proven running bike? If yes it sounds like an issue with the crank trigger.

Comment

bought cdi igniter off ebay,was told it came off running bike .how do i check it to be sure it is good?

Comment

Crank triggers hardly ever go bad so my bets on a bad igniter.
                  Take off the 3&4 spark plug leads and remove the spark plugs. Connect the spark plugs back into the leads and ground them to the head. Now find the wire connecter that comes the crank trigger and disconnect it. There is a green wire and a blue wire that goes to the igniter. With a 9volt battery connect the blue wire to the postitive side of the battery. Now connect the green wire to the negative side of the battery. At that moment the #4 spark plug should fire. When you disconnect the green wire (negative) the #3 plug should fire.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Take off the 3&4 spark plug leads and remove the spark plugs. Connect the spark plugs back into the leads and ground them to the head. Now find the wire connecter that comes the crank trigger and disconnect it. There is a green wire and a blue wire that goes to the igniter. With a 9volt battery connect the blue wire to the postitive side of the battery. Now connect the green wire to the negative side of the battery. At that moment the #4 spark plug should fire. When you disconnect the green wire (negative) the #3 plug should fire.
                    did this test and 3 fires 4 does not. all help is much appreciated -i am ready to ride/danny

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Dang Chef, that needs to be kept somewhere. A non destructive way to check an igniter. Brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by omaharj View Post
                        Dang Chef, that needs to be kept somewhere. A non destructive way to check an igniter. Brilliant
                        Tell Clymer. I just copied it from my manual.

Comment

Three years in the fifth grade and my reading skills are still lacking! How embarassing. Clymer huh?

Comment

Working...
                          X