Trip to Nova Scotia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip to Nova Scotia!

My buddy and I are planning a trip from Burlington, VT to Halifax, Nova Scotia in mid-August. We are planning on going from Burlington to Bangor, Maine the first day, then Bangor to Halifax the next day. We want to spend a couple days riding around there before we head back. We will probably catch a ferry over to Bar Harbor area and head home from there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good roads/campsites/attractions along the way?

We are on a "student" budget, which means we have no money, so it should be quite an adventure. :-D

Anyone should feel free to join us for any part of the trip if your up for it!

I once met a girl when I visited Maine.

Bangor ?

Nah, she was with her mom.

:-D \\/

Just joking. Ive never been there. If your going with no money I woud suggest a credit card.....just in case.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by mike_gs700e View Post
      Does anyone have any suggestions for good roads/campsites/attractions along the way?
      Yes.

Find your way to the very NorthEast end of the island. There is a town called Cheticamp at one end of the park that has a good campground in it. Ride the Cabot Trail. Repeat.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Follow Jethro's suggestion. I did it years ago on a bike. Absolutely friggin gorgeous!

Comment

Definately do the cabot trail, it really is the ride of a lifetime. Plus there is much more to see there than halifax, although a day along the halifax waterfront is not a bad idea, maybe take in a tour of the Keiths Brewery which is right downtown.

As for accomodations, all campgrounds will run you about the same price, just remember that anything right on the water will be much cooler, even a mile inland will be warmer, and less likely to be foggy.

Be prepared for quick changes in weather as, fog, cool areas, rain, etc. The weather up this way can change in a moments notice.

Peggy's cove and Lunenburg are a couple of places you will likely want to hit as well if time allows They are within an hour of Halifax. If your timing is right on the way through you may want to try to hit "The Rocks" in Fundy National park area, pretty cool to see, they have the big tides there. Great little bakery in Alma (fundy park area) as well, their sticky buns are to die for.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins View Post
            Be prepared for quick changes in weather as, fog, cool areas, rain, etc. The weather up this way can change in a moments notice.
            In other words, when you wake up at your campsite to beaming, bright sunshine and warm temps and expect a beautiful day of riding the Cabot Trail- DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF LEAVING YOUR RAINGEAR AND JACKET LINER BACK AT CAMP! Ask us how we know...
            Currently bikeless
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think the route to take is the northern coast to the cabot trail and loop back and take the southern coast back towards Halifax...I hope the bike makes it...

Jethro, it sounds like you might have a couple of good riding stories...:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                In other words, when you wake up at your campsite to beaming, bright sunshine and warm temps and expect a beautiful day of riding the Cabot Trail- DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF LEAVING YOUR RAINGEAR AND JACKET LINER BACK AT CAMP! Ask us how we know...
                We must have been in the first stages of hypothermia when we got back, that was brutal!

Those Rips up and down Smokey mountain made it all worth while though.

For those that don't know smokey mountain, think VERY tight twisties, on the edge of a large cliff. Then think of them at Jethro speed! Miss a turn and you will hit trees, ... eventually, ... you need to fall for 400 feet first. Had to be one of the best adrenaline rushes of my life.

Comment

Here is view from the bottom of Smokey that does not do the road justice. It is twisty!
                  Currently bikeless

Comment

Here is view from the bottom of Smokey...
                    Did someone say litle Smokies? :-D

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                      Did someone say litle Smokies? :-D
                      That musta been Scotty...
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

And buh-buh-que sauce!
                        Currently bikeless

Comment

And buh-buh-que sauce!
                          Now we're talkin!

I was bummed to have missed your trip up there, Geoff - damn broken hand.

One of these days I'll do it. Who knows, maybe I could swing it and join this trip. I could meet them in Ban Goah, Bah Hahbah, or sumptin.

Comment

As already mentioned, the place to go riding is the Cabot Trail. I assume you are taking the Cat across. If not, look into it. It is a fast trip and leaves you more time to ride when you get here.

Once in Nova Scotia, there are many places to camp but I would recommend making reservations as mid-August is about the height of tourist season and many sites will lack any vacancies.

We also print a free guide for motorcyclists.

Comment

Working...
                            X