4-into-1 exhausts (GS850)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-into-1 exhausts (GS850)

Hi there! I'm both new to GS Resources, and new to GS Ownership, so forgive me if I'm slow on the uptake for either.
    Also, please point me in the right place if I post this into the wrong forum.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my newly acquired 81 GS850 G, and I found this site when I was poking around for reviews before I made the purchase.
    What I'm still having trouble with is finding some good after-market pipes for them. They've still got the stock ones, but there's some rust issues from the previous owner.
    When I checked out this months featured bike, I couldn't help but notice that gorgeous black n' chrome system. I already emailed the owner, and though he had some great tips for me, he apparently bought the bike with the pipes already there, and was thus unable to tell me where I could buy some.

Long story short - Does anyone know a good source for GS850 (specifially, 1981 G) exhausts?
    I'd love to find that same set thats on the featured bike (the 850 with the blue/white paint-job and the vintage fairing).
    Thanks all!

I have purchased several header sets and custom built the pipe that I wanted. 1) Start shopping on ebay for headers. 2) Look for any motorcycle muffler you like on ebay. 3) Find a good custom exhaust builder and get creative. I have less than $450 in the whole set-up including USED parts & labor. Bid wisely!:-D

I have both Two Brothers carbon fiber and V&H polished aluminum cans that I can interchange depending on mood.

1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Originally posted by viperg View Post
      I have purchased several header sets and custom built the pipe that I wanted. 1) Start shopping on ebay for headers. 2) Look for any motorcycle muffler you like on ebay. 3) Find a good custom exhaust builder and get creative. I have less than $450 in the whole set-up including USED parts & labor. Bid wisely!:-D

I have both Two Brothers carbon fiber and V&H polished aluminum cans that I can interchange depending on mood.

Man that is one sweet lookin "G" :-D
      sigpic

RIP..Buster my buddy, i'll leave the door open just in case!

Comment

I agree on that one... I love the blue and white... I'm certainly interested in how folks put more current mufflers on our bikes.. though I think just about anything will fit as long as the headers are spaced right for our heads, then ofcourse there is jetting the carbs to make the mixture what it should be to keep the pipes that purdy gold color =)

Comment

Most 4 in 1 systems for the 2 valve 750 77-79 will fit your 850

Comment

exhaust for GS850

NIP,
            If you by some chance would like to upgrade to equivalent exhaust and keep the 4-2 style and NOT have to fiddle with the carbs. Mayt I suggest the Laser-Jama systems from the Netherlands. I have the system on my 1979 and its quiet, lighter ,went on easier than OEM came off.....Google LAser exhaust and look through their site. I've had mine for a very long time and I do need a new muffler but thats the great thingabout them you can get parts....and not that costly....I believe the whole system was about$450 new....not bad....specially considering there is no jetting considerations....Good Luck
            Rodm850g

Comment

The exhaust work is stellar. I was interested to find out about your hanger..... It looks factory made, maybe even one I've seen.... Is it custom, or a specific model from a specific bike? I'm heading down the same path towards building a 'modern' exhaust system, and it would be great to know about that hanger.

thanks in advance,

loudest143

Comment

Thanks guys! The hanger is a custom made piece that a friend of mine made for me. It is stainless round and bar stock that slides in the upper shock mount and the bottom is drilled and tapped for the exhaust hanger.
                1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

I also noticed that your gorgeous bike is sporting a Conti Blitz tire on the rear. I can't tell from the photos but I assume
                  that you probably have the matching front tire.

Any guess as to how long one of those might last? That and the Bridgestone S-11 (which is much cheaper) are two of the only tires that are still available in the correct 130/90-18 size for the rear of my CBX (which is about ready for new rubber front and back).

I know that the Cheng Shin Hi Max is also cheap and available in that size, but I'll pass on that option, thank you.

I am curious as to which of the two (the Bridgestones or the Contis) would last longer under normal riding.

(Other tires are available in 130/80-18, but with them you have issues like worrying if the bike may fall over when parked on the sidestand!)

As much as I hate to admit it, most of my riding is highway miles due to the nature of the roads here (mostly flat, straight two lane country roads with (largely ignored) speed limits of 50-55 mph.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2008, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Harris exhausts is the way for me. not cheap though, $650 including shipping to USA.
                    They are based in UK.

Comment

dennis kirk has a vance and hines all chrome for a little over 300.00.They also have a mac for just a little less money but i like the v&h much better.

Comment

what year though cause 82 needs to be modified to fit

Comment

nice bike

one question,were did you get the lower engine fairing.I am building a 79 gs850g black pearl effects paint,new seat,futuristic front mini fairing.(looks like a transformer).rebuilt carbs,heat painted engine.heat painted pipes.

Comment

Working...
                          X