Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next month I'm taking a 3,000 mile trip on my bike. Need suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next month I'm taking a 3,000 mile trip on my bike. Need suggestions.

I've decided I'm going to do roughly 3,000 miles in around 10 days and I have a little over 30 days to prepare.

I'm starting here in Wichita, KS

The plan is to either ride through New Mexico or Colorado on my way to Phoenix, AZ to see my grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins. I really like New Mexico but I would like to ride the mountains and get some photos in Colorado. I may ride through New Mexico on the way there and come back through Colorado.

From Phoenix I'm going to Los Angeles, CA to see my sister. There are all sorts of places I want to ride to in California. Many people have told me to ride to Big bear through the mountains, as well as various Beach towns.

From there I think I'm going to ride to San Fransisco just because I've never been there and think I would really enjoy the ride up along the Pacific coast on the 1 and the 101. I would then go back to Arizona one way or another and then come back through Colorado (probably) on my way home.

EDIT: It might make more sense to ride directly back to Kansas from San Fran. I've never seen the Grand Canyon and I do want to at least ride through Colorado on the way back.

Can you guys recommend destinations or routes? I'm looking for scenery or twistys.

I'm looking at luggage and I don't really want to spend the money on hard bags. I've been looking at Nelson Riggs because the saddle bags mount to the tail bag to make a full 3 piece set.

Anybody want to mention something else I should look into? I'm going to camp quite a bit of the trip. I've got a really compact single person tent and a sleeping bag which will both probably be able to fit into the tail bag or maybe just strap on top of the bag.

Any tools you swear by on a long trip? Duct tape, WD40, tire pressure gauge and a multi-tool of some sort are definitely on the list. I'll bring the stuff to adjust and clean the chain. I'm also going to get some kind of cheap compact air compressor that runs off 12 volts and a tire plug kit, any recommendations there? I've got a tire warranty on my new bike with 100 mile tow coverage but you never know if the cell phone is going to get reception.

When I leave the bike will have approximately 1,000 miles total, and I'm going to change the oil and filter the week before I leave. Anything else to check? I'm doing the first break in service at 600 miles probably this upcoming weekend. The next scheduled service is at 4,000 miles, which will be when I get back.

Any guidance? A biker buddy swears that Midol is a Biker's best friend (for cramping and pain), so I'll be taking that along with a complete first aid kit.

What am I forgetting

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
    I've decided I'm going to do roughly 3,000 miles in around 10 days and I have a little over 30 days to prepare.

I'm starting here in Wichita, KS

The plan is to either ride through New Mexico or Colorado on my way to Phoenix, AZ to see my grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins. I really like New Mexico but I would like to ride the mountains and get some photos in Colorado. I may ride through New Mexico on the way there and come back through Colorado.

From Phoenix I'm going to Los Angeles, CA to see my sister. There are all sorts of places I want to ride to in California. Many people have told me to ride to Big bear through the mountains, as well as various Beach towns.

From there I think I'm going to ride to San Fransisco just because I've never been there and think I would really enjoy the ride up along the Pacific coast on the 1 and the 101. I would then go back to Arizona one way or another and then come back through Colorado (probably) on my way home.

EDIT: It might make more sense to ride directly back to Kansas from San Fran. I've never seen the Grand Canyon and I do want to at least ride through Colorado on the way back.

Can you guys recommend destinations or routes? I'm looking for scenery or twistys.

I'm looking at luggage and I don't really want to spend the money on hard bags. I've been looking at Nelson Riggs because the saddle bags mount to the tail bag to make a full 3 piece set.

Anybody want to mention something else I should look into? I'm going to camp quite a bit of the trip. I've got a really compact single person tent and a sleeping bag which will both probably be able to fit into the tail bag or maybe just strap on top of the bag.

Any tools you swear by on a long trip? Duct tape, WD40, tire pressure gauge and a multi-tool of some sort are definitely on the list. I'll bring the stuff to adjust and clean the chain. I'm also going to get some kind of cheap compact air compressor that runs off 12 volts and a tire plug kit, any recommendations there? I've got a tire warranty on my new bike with 100 mile tow coverage but you never know if the cell phone is going to get reception.

When I leave the bike will have approximately 1,000 miles total, and I'm going to change the oil and filter the week before I leave. Anything else to check? I'm doing the first break in service at 600 miles probably this upcoming weekend. The next scheduled service is at 4,000 miles, which will be when I get back.

Any guidance? A biker buddy swears that Midol is a Biker's best friend (for cramping and pain), so I'll be taking that along with a complete first aid kit.

What am I forgetting

for tools, a small metric ratchet set. doesnt have to be great quality. One of those portable harbor freight or autozone check out counter jobbies will do nicely for minor stuff. get one that goes up to 19mm if you can. Allen wrenches, cresent or adjustable wrench, sparkplug wrench, channel locks or vice grips. And a big as box end wrench to loosen your rear axle nut. Cant remember the size off the top of my head...

Comment

I forgot to mention, I'm doing this on my new Yamaha FZ1 so I'm going to limit the tools to necessary stuff. Although what you posted I was planning on taking anyway.

Comment

You need to go to Sequoia National Forest and see the BIG trees on the way to San Fran. Death Valley maybe? PCH is cool in the LA area. If I can get work off I'll ride with you in CA if possible. Or just stop by for a cool drink.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
          I forgot to mention, I'm doing this on my new Yamaha FZ1 so I'm going to limit the tools to necessary stuff. Although what you posted I was planning on taking anyway.
          ohh...well thats no fun :P I thought you were GS'n it! Little more of a challenge that way :P

Comment

There's beer in my Garage Fridge, and nice roads on the way out of town...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Indeed! If you come thru Ohio, atall... lemme know!

Comment

First aid kit,small multi tool and needlenose vise grips. Good luck.

Comment

New Mexico route

Check out the highway traveling from Raton Pass,NM through Taos and Sante Fe, went through there years ago in a cage but loved the mountian scenery. Also a good road through Canyon City,CO.
                  Just a couple possiblities to check out.

Comment

Sweet!

Dude, I'm so jealous - sounds like you're going to have an awesome ride (on an awesome bike, by the way!) I'm quite familiar with the NM roads, having lived there from 2001 up until 2 weeks ago (just moved to FL)

YOU HAVE TO DO THE CORONADO TRAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the thing of legends, for sure. Have you heard about the "Tail of the Dragon" near Deals Gap on the NC/TN border? Yeah, it's nothing compared to riding 191 from Alpine, AZ to Clifton, AZ - so amazing bro...if you're looking for twisties & amazing scenery, you have to do it. AKA the Devil's Highway...

Coronado Trail Scenic Byway State: Arizona Length: 120 miles / 192.0 km Time to Allow: Allow four to five hours of driving time. The road includes several stretches of 10 mph curves, for a total of over 400 switchbacks. The Coronado Trail Scenic Byway covers 123 miles of route 191 in southeastern East Arizona, right next

it really gets packed with bikes coming up from PHX on the weekends, so just keep that in mind. It really won't disappoint, and will be a highlight of your 3,000 mile journey!

This section of 152 in southern NM is really amazing too, if you're in the area...

Of course there's some amazing areas in the northern part of the state, around Taos, Santa Fe, etc. - Let me know if you want suggestions for that area too. But you HAVE to do 191!!! Have fun, ride safe, take pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sGSfan View Post
                      if you're looking for twisties & amazing scenery, you have to do it. AKA the Devil's Highway...
                      AZ does have some amazing roads. I like 89 between Prescott and Wickenburg. If you do AZ bring some water ! Those camel packs that allow you to "drink and drive" would be cool. Your factory tool kit should have alot of what you need. I like the tire repair idea.

Dont forget the camera!!
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

oh wait I know....padding...lots of padding. 3k...my butt hurts just thinking about it...

Comment

Take the Pacific Coast Hwy (HWY 1) from Morro Bay to Carmel-By-The-Sea when you got to San Francisco. Avoid getting gas in Gorda (literally the most expensive gas in the USA, probably around $6 to $7+ a gallon) which is smack dab in the middle between Morro Bay and Carmel-By-The-Sea. You will average about 30 mph due to all the twisties inthe road. Great ride!

Bring a camera!

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
                            Take the Pacific Coast Hwy (HWY 1) from Morro Bay to Carmel-By-The-Sea when you got to San Francisco. Avoid getting gas in Gorda (literally the most expensive gas in the USA, probably around $6 to $7+ a gallon) which is smack dab in the middle between Morro Bay and Carmel-By-The-Sea. You will average about 30 mph due to all the twisties inthe road. Great ride!

Bring a camera!

Hap
                            Ditto on the Morro Bay to Carmel ride. Big sur is AMAZING! Also, if you do come back through Colorado you MUST go through Rocky Mountain National Park. Trail Ridge Road is AWESOME, particularly on a bike. After you leave Estes Park head south on the Peak to Peak to Idaho Springs for some more great roads. You can then stop in Littleton and raid TKENT02's fridge for a cold one. =-)

Comment

Yep, CA1 is awesome, but on the way through Utah you should go through Zion Nat. Park, and when you reach Glenwood Springs, CO (gas up in Glenwood, Aspen's gas last year was $4.50/gal), take the turn and go over Independence Pass Summit. It's really awesome (I'll have to re-post the picture from last year's road trip), then go raid TKent02's fridge for beer and stop in Boulder to see snowbeard so he can take you to some of the finest micro-brew bar/grills in Boulder......

Comment

Working...
                              X