Berrien County, South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berrien County, South

Hi Folks, I live in New Buffalo, MI. Like most of you I like a 2-3 hour ride through the prettiest part of my part of the world.
    I recommend starting where most people who visit here do, from New Buffalo, riding north on the Red Arrow Hwy. When you reach Bridgman turn right at the stop light, and ride east through town and on to Berrien Springs. Drive through the town until you are looking down at the St. Joseph River. You should pay a short visit to the fishing grounds below the Dam, take off you helmet, look at the water, and the folks fishing.
    When you're ready, get back on your bike and go back the way you came, through town but bear South West until you come to a road called "Red Bud Trail". Turn left and South. It continue south in an easy twisty way as it follows the
    St. Joseph River. on to Buchanan. You may find a place along the river to stop again, if you like.
    At the stop light in the old part of downtown, turn right and West on Front St. Go through town,
    if your a Civil War buff you may stop at the cemetary to look at their 6.4-inch (100-pounder) Parrott rifle. Go on West till you meet the Bakertown Rd.
    Turn left and South and ride a short ways to the Galien-Buchanan Rd. Turn right and west for a fast S curve and on West on a nice country road for 10 min. until you reach Cleveland Rd.
    Turn left and South and ride through the lonely town of Galien. Stay on Cleveland and ride on south for 20 min. or so through rual Indiana until you see the town of New Carlisle on a hill in front of you. The road curves to the left and right until it bring you up hill and into the center of town.
    Ride onward through and out of town on Hwy 2. The speed goes up to 55-65. Stay on Hwy 2 as it brings you into the thriving small city of La Porte.
    Hwy 2 changes it's name to Lincolnway, and in the heart of downtown you will turn right on Pine Lake Ave. and ride up and over the railroad tracks. You will pass by the very pretty Pine Lake, and if you like you can turn right onto 39 to head back to New Buffalo, or ride strait as Pine Lake Ave. changes it's name to US35 and takes you on to Michigan City.
    Your on your own again, have a nice ride home, but don't share this loop with any Harly or Gold Wing trash. I don't want to see their stiff faces on my back roads.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Bill I am somewhat familiar with these roads and a few of them on a motorcycle... I just took a ride on 118th ave in Allegan out to Saugatuk and south along the lakeshore on Blue Star Hwy and found a way back to Edwardsburg (that I could probably not repeat) but a pretty nice ride with plenty of places to stop and check out the lake.

Comment

Working...
    X