Mount Gilead OH to New River Gorge Bridge WV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount Gilead OH to New River Gorge Bridge WV

Hey all! I've written up a ride report over at ADVrider about a trip I just took on my 1980 GS850G:

Hey there ADV! First time ride reporter here. I've been riding for about a year now, having been lured into the hobby by MeefZah and his ride...

Thanks again to all who have answered my questions here to help get the bike ready to roll.

Nice write up and great pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkster View Post
      Hey all! I've written up a ride report over at ADVrider about a trip I just took on my 1980 GS850G:

Hey there ADV! First time ride reporter here. I've been riding for about a year now, having been lured into the hobby by MeefZah and his ride...

Thanks again to all who have answered my questions here to help get the bike ready to roll.
      Wanna do it again Aug 8-12? A couple of us are going down from Dayton, to meet up with MRiddle somewhere in northeastern KY, and then on to New River Gorge to meet up with Dpep, Grandpa and some others for the weekend. We'd be happy to have you tag along with us! You too Goose! We'll leave the Dayton area in the AM/early Afternoon, and meet up with MRiddle around 2ish or so, then be to WV in time to have dinner with the gang, sleep, ride all day Saturday, then head for home Sunday morn. You guys game?

Comment

I would be game but I agreed to only one big trip this summer. My wife was quite supportive of this trip and I would be stretching it to try another. It's well worth riding, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

I may make a similar trip next year for some white water rafting- I think that would make for the ultimate WV ride.

Comment

Nice pictures, Sparkster. You covered some of the same road our W.V. rally did last year. We went through Gauley Bridge and took 16 up as for as I-79 on our Saturday ride. You can click on the link in my signature block below to check out our collection of pictures from that rally.

Interesting that when I was scouting the route the day before the cops in Gauley Bridge had a hippy van pulled over at the same spot you describe. I warned everyone and sure enough there was police presence along that stretch when we passed through. But we were going the opposite direction, heading north out of town. The speed trap, and that is exactly what it is, is set to catch people coming into town with a sudden limit drop around a bend where there is little indication that you are coming into a heavier traffic area. That little stretch of pavement is undoubtedly the primary revenue source for that tiny town.
          Last edited by dpep; 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Wanna do it again Aug 8-12? A couple of us are going down from Dayton, to meet up with MRiddle somewhere in northeastern KY, and then on to New River Gorge to meet up with Dpep, Grandpa and some others for the weekend. We'd be happy to have you tag along with us! You too Goose! We'll leave the Dayton area in the AM/early Afternoon, and meet up with MRiddle around 2ish or so, then be to WV in time to have dinner with the gang, sleep, ride all day Saturday, then head for home Sunday morn. You guys game?
            With my current commitments, I can't even make time to work on the 850. Keep me in mind, tho. If you're going to Cincy for any reason, I can use that as an excuse to drop in on my son in Blue Ash.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              I'm currently angling for the time off. But you mention Aug. 8-12. The 12th is a Tuesday, yet you're going home on Sunday?
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hey, Sparks. About 4 years ago my teen age son and I went up close to there for a week long "old time music festival" held at an old girl scout camp up in the mountains. While we were there, we drove around to do some sight seeing. As soon as I saw the pic of you and the fine officer, I recognized that same exact spot because I also almost missed the sign for the speed limit and if I hadn't noticed an obvious speed trap waiting, I would have been busted too. I recognize about 1/3 of the places in your pix. Nice memories. Thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  I'm currently angling for the time off. But you mention Aug. 8-12. The 12th is a Tuesday, yet you're going home on Sunday?
                  Yeah its actually Aug 8-10, I requested off thru the 12th. We WILL be home on Sunday

Comment

Anyone know the trick to embedding video on this forum? It won't let me...

My ride video is finished and can be found here:
                    Two dudes, two days, and 700 motorcycling miles to see the New River Gorge Bridge. Complete with renegade camping in the WV woods.Music: Slow Ride by Foghat

Comment

Man what a great video!! Your "Switchbacks and Siestas" video is also excellent. Keep up the great work!
                      Willie
                      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Excellent video to go along with a well told story. I'm going to guess that you are somehow involved in communications work.
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                          Excellent video to go along with a well told story. I'm going to guess that you are somehow involved in communications work.

Well, I'm a cop so some would say I'm involved in creative writing every day!

Actually I read a lot and that has taught me that writing in story form keeps the attention of the reader. Oh and I was a communications major in college.

Comment

Working...
                          X