stripped air screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped air screw

While stripping and cleaning my carbs I found the air screw in #4 is stripped and I can get it out. I've tried multiple sized screwdrivers and socked it in carb cleaner but it won't budge. if I had access to it i'd cut a new/deeper slot and try to get it out that way but since its down hole on the body I'm not sure how to proceed. any ideas?

Thanks,
    Aaron

There are several ways to deal with stuck mixture screws. My way I use a drill that just fits in the opening - drilling just enough to mark the mixture screw, then using a 1/8" left twist drill bit- drill into the mixture screw no more than 1/4" then using easyout & visegrips turn it out (hopefully)
    Another way is to cut thru the mixture screw & carb body with a dremel wheel to cut a new slot

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      There are several ways to deal with stuck mixture screws. My way I use a drill that just fits in the opening - drilling just enough to mark the mixture screw, then using a 1/8" left twist drill bit- drill into the mixture screw no more than 1/4" then using easyout & visegrips turn it out (hopefully)
      Another way is to cut thru the mixture screw & carb body with a dremel wheel to cut a new slot
      This is the best way to do it, Wal-Mart in their hardware dept. sells a brand of this screw extractor that has worked great for me, it's called Bull Dog, i used it to remove pilots jets in my carb rebuild without damaging the threads, hope this helps.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2008, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Lots of people report broken off easy outs so be careful. I suggest using heat on the carb body - really helps soften up any varnish remaining inside the carb.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Stuck air screws

I've also heard that brake fluid will loosen them. But I didn't have any luck on one of mine. I just left the screw where it was. Apparently it's close enough as the bike runs fine having just adjusted the others 2 & 1/4 turns out.

Art

Comment

new air screws

I just got my GS1000 the other day and started to dismantle the carbs for cleaning and ran into basicly the same problem as Big_Z (except that my screw was stuck and I ended up stripping it myself). I was just wondering, if I manage to get this thing out with an easy-out or some other way, it will be pretty much destroyed. Does anyone know where I can get a new one. The places I've tried show practically every part in the carbs except these.

Paul

Comment

If I could get the screw out of this buggered up carb with a
              Demmel so can you.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Last resort only. Center up the hacksaw and the existing screwdriver slot on the airscrew head. Then make sure you saw into the screw head far enough to give yourself a decent grip with the correct size screwdriver. Worked like a charm for me. (Follow the pics left to right)

Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2011, 11:41 PM.

Comment

"Correct size screwdriver"

That would be a #2 slot-cut-by-hacksaw driver. Is the hacksaw JIS, SAE, ASME, ANSI, or DIN/ISO?

Nice alternative for those without a Dremel or similar. Good one.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

No clue the size, sorry. Just make due with what I've got.

Comment

I had same issue ... I drilled out the head, but not too deep. Then I took a torx bit just a touch bigger than the hole, and lightly ... tapped it into the hole. It worked very well, and I was suprised that I was able to reuse the part. Matter of fact, the torx bit is still in there

Its a bit crude, but it works well ....

Comment

Working...
                      X