US to Canada, Canada to US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US to Canada, Canada to US

Has anyone gone into Canada from the US and vice versa with just a Drivers License? I am leaving for my Nova Scotia trip on Saturday and just read that you need a DL AND Proof of citizenship. But it also states that if you don't have the required documents, you may be delayed at the border while they check your citizenship. Any stories? Very nervous that we will be turned away at the Canadian border for not having a birth certificate. I went to Montreal a couple years ago and they didn't check ANYTHING . They just asked their questions and that was that.

Any/All advice is appreciated.

-Mike

Coming back into the US might be the tricky part, they are the sticklers for the birth certificate or passport usually. I have to show ID and proof of citizenship every time I go to the US, it applies to US residents as well I believe.

I just use my passport, which is probably the simplest solution if you have one.

As for US citizens coming to canada, not sure, I will check some websites and see if I can find a link.

Comment

Canada:

US:

a quick look says you need ID and proof of citizenship both ways. I know for a fact you MUST have the stuff to enter the US as I cross the border several times a month. Never been asked on the way into canada though, i don't recall ever seeing americans passing paperwork to the canada border patrol. Doesn't do you much good if the US guys won't let you back in though!
      Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Well, looks like 3 of the 7 of us will be going to Nova Scotia with just drivers licenses...perhaps the motorcycle God's will smile upon us and it won't be THAT much of a delay getting back into the United States. *fingers crossed*

cause i mean....it's gotta happen right? people "losing" part of their ID while on vacation? :P

Comment

Originally posted by mike.spano View Post
          Well, looks like 3 of the 7 of us will be going to Nova Scotia with just drivers licenses...perhaps the motorcycle God's will smile upon us and it won't be THAT much of a delay getting back into the United States. *fingers crossed*

cause i mean....it's gotta happen right? people "losing" part of their ID while on vacation? :P
          The us customs guys have no sense of humour whatsoever. You may be in for some really tough times without proper paperwork, up to and including being barred from reentering the US. It really is some serious stuff, you should contact CBP in the US to see what is needed, best of luck!

Comment

Bring your social security card at least. If any of the guys are veterans have them bring their VA card and/or their discharge papers.

Contact your local U.S. Representative's office and tell them your situation. Get the name(s) of the people you deal with and make sure they write yours down. They may have something to help you. Or at least when you are stopped at the customs station you can at least tell them that Representative xxxxxx will confirm your citizenship if they will call his/her office. Be sure you hit the border station at an hour the Rep's office is open.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

You will need a passport to get back into the U.S. I went through this last December. The rules changed in November '07 I think.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Comment

Getting into Canada is easy. ...Driver's licence will do it. Proof of citizenship is nice, but they will usually waive that.

Entering US of A

Most of them are OK, but far too often USA Customs people act the part of power-mad jerks who got the job because of the power perk. They will deliberately screw you over to satisfy some warped quirk within their personalities.

This is done under the guise of rules, and they have ultimate authority at the moment, but it is purely personal...nothing whatever to do with Customs rules or Border safety/security. Unfortunately, it can delay you for a long time and they seem to enjoy your discomfort, so the more annoyed you appear to get the more they will play cat-mouse with you.

Play it all straight, let them ask whatever, then be on your way.

I have usually been lucky, perhaps because of my age and the fact that I just offer a passport and anything I am carrying as gifts is open to view on the back seat, or i simply volunteer the information if it is in the trunk.

I have not gone across the Border on a bike for several years, as most of my trips were to MA and I was carrying things .

The last time I drove into USA it took me about 1 minute , and for two dozen trips before that it took not more than five minutes, even with inspection...they just looked in the trunk.

(If those who went to Shirley's rally last year are reading this and wondering about my carrying an axe in the trunk, they ignored BOTH axes in there.. )

Negative side:
                  When I crossed the Lake by ferry a couple of years ago the jerk I met at Rochester was as difficult and exasperating as he could be for twenty minutes. I think he was more frustrated than I was because there was nothing to be found wrong.

You do not need a passport in either direction at this time. That may change at the beginning of 2009, but today you are OK both ways.
                  Last edited by argonsagas; 07-16-2008, 12:24 PM.
                  "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I went back and forth on July 4th weekend for a Cabot Trail ride back in 2006. At that point it was easy as pie. The Canadians didn't even ask for my license. Just asked if I had any weapons. It was literally 20 seconds. Back through the US side I showed my license and had my passport but they didn't ask for it then. They just asked me where I was born and if I had any contraband on me. That was about 2 minutes, then I was through.

I also pass through on my snowmobile at least if not more than once a winter. There was supposed to be a mandatory passport requirement in Feb of 2007, but the Boarder Patrol realized at the last minute that they were not prepared to handle the updated requirements. Like Ron says, it has been pushed back to Feb of 2009. So you do not need a passport yet. But I would highly suggest a notarized copy of your birth certificate to accompany your valid license.

Also, make sure you have at the very least a copy of your insurance binder, and check that you meet the minimum requirements for Canada. They have very strict insurance requirements. It's best to have your ins. co. get you a temporary certificate with specific coverage in Canada, there is a special policy number that will cross reference with the Canada insurance, any insurance co. should be able to provide it. On sleds I have been required to show this information every time.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I go to Canada from time to time, it's 20 minutes to the bridge from my place.
                      when you go from the states to Canada you must show your drivers license and then you will be asked a few questions, like your purpose for going into Canada, possession of tobacco, weapons, fruit-meats ect. fairly easy going over. but coming back some times can be fun.
                      I take with me my drivers license and a copy of my birth certificate (some proof of citizenship), that is all the requirements until next year.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

You can't legally be refused entry into your home country. I'm fairly sure of that. Its easier to have a passport handy, or now you can get just a US id-card that acts like a passport. How did this trip go for you? I assume you made it back? Or you've been living in Canada for a year now? hehe

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                          You will need a passport to get back into the U.S. I went through this last December. The rules changed in November '07 I think.
                          If I remember correctly you were travelling by air where it is definitely required. By land you don't need a passport but must have proper ID. Go to the US website above and check. Where the proof of citizenship gets iffy is when you are a citizen but were born out of the country, they will probably ask for it then. My advise is to beat the rush and go get a passport. They keep changing the dates and requirements but someday it will probably be required and besides it's good to have. We travel alot and I find the borders guards attitude improves a lot when you hand them a passport rather than rummaging through your wallet for some ID. When you're travelling by bike especially this helps a lot. Being an oldfart probably helps a bit too. LOL.

EDIT: I just checked the US website and a passport will be required for entry to the US by land/water travel starting June 1/09. I assume then that Canada will also start using that requirement for entry. If you're crossing the border for rallies this summer you had better get your passport applications started. Unless of course that they change the date or requirements again.
                          Last edited by Sandy; 04-17-2009, 11:23 AM.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                          X