Iowa to Niagara Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iowa to Niagara Falls

Next weekend my wife & I are headed out from northeast Iowa to Niagara Falls. We were planning to make the trip on our own, and coincidentally found 4 other couples in town that were also planning a ride to there, so Carol & I have adjusted our schedule and are joining that group for at lease some of the ride.

Our planned route is to head across Wisconsin to Neenah, then north to Sault Ste Marie. From Sault Ste Marie, we'll be headed to the Bruce Penninsula and then on to Niagara Falls.

On the way back, we are tentatively planning to split from the group so we can head back into Michigan to Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes Lakeshore.

We're undecided as to whether we'll go back around the north end of Lake Michigan and then back down through Wisconsin -- or instead go south to Ludington and take the ferry across the lake.

The GS gets to sit this one out, as we'll be riding the Voyager for the storage space -- and cruise control.

Any suggestions on nice roads to take or other advise is welcome.

I can't offer much advice on the route, but I was at the falls recently, and I can recommend an afternoon on Goat Island. Make sure to do the tour to the cave, even though you can't get into a cave anymore. You get close enough to the base of one of the falls that I told Wendy I'm going to bring shampoo next time. The Canadian side does offer a great view of the Canadian falls, the Maid of the Mist boats (also worthwhile) and endless blocks of tourist shopping (yuck). We didn't have time to do the tower on the American side, but judging from how that is positioned, it should offer an excellent view of the American falls and the river gorge. Enjoy your trip. I'd love to see any one of the other places you mention as possibilities.

Crossing the border over the Peace Bridge can take anywhere from nothing to a few hours. I haven't heard of a way to predict, just be aware. The people who actually still live in the area can maybe give more up to date advice.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Well if your going to Sault ste. Marie you should cross over in to Canada and go to Espanola then head south to Manitoulin Island then the ferry to the Bruce peninsula. On the island are some great biking roads with very little traffic. Then riding down the peninsula there are a lot of little side roads to beaches to go and explore.

Comment

How much time do you have?

The route through the Sault down to Manatoulin and down the Bruce is a great idea and super picturesque. Coming down from Tobermory, you'll be coming through my neck of the woods (Hamilton) on your way to the Falls. Lots to see and do around here (we're in wine country from Hamilton to the Falls and you will cross the Welland Canal that joins Lake Erie and Lake Ontario). At Hamilton, you will also be 45 minutes to Toronto so you might want to head there for a day or so.

Gas is curently $1.28 per liter but has gone as high as $1.40 per. There are parks that you can camp in if you're going that route and hotels and motels are same as what you are used to but maybe a tad pricier.

Big thing to watch out for is your speed & riding style. We have a new antispeeding/racing/stunting law that is quite oppressive. Go 50 kmph over any posted limit and you're toast. Vehicle is impounded on the spot for 7 days as is your driving licence. Minimum fine of $2000 plus all storage, towing and court costs. You can also be had on this charge if you weave through traffic, lane split (big no no) or even ride one handed or stand on your pegs ( I sh54t you not).

Speed limits on 400 series (major) highways is 100Kmph and 80Kmph on secondaries (2 lane) and 50 or 60 Kmph in towns. As in you state watch for speed traps especially on secondaries coming into towns. They can drop from 80 to40 in a blink of an eye.

Depending on your itinerary and arrival time I would be pleased to show you some of the sights hereabouts. In fact, my old home town, Stoney Creek (part of Hamilton now) is where we whupped your a$$es back in 1812. We have a nice big monument to remind us how we stopped you invading Glad we are now friends. There is a really nice route from there that runs along our escarpment (known to us as the Mountain) down through wine country, over the canal and down into the Falls). An easy 1 hour jaunt.

I've enclosed some links for info and if there is anything else I can help you with please let me know:

Hope you enjoy your trip.Its going to be fun.
        Cheers,
        Spyug
        Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM.

Comment

If you have time and haven't done it before you ought to head down to Milwaukee and spend some time in the art museum. It's been featured on a few architectural programs and is notable not only for its nautical design (it sits right on the lakeshore) but also the "sails" that move up and down in the morning and evening to shade the building and save energy (as well as look VERY cool!). There are some very impressive exhibits inside (as you might expect) and it's a nice diversion.

Regards,

Comment

The Niagara area Ice Wine is a something to try. The Badger across Lake MI is about 5 hours and they do a nice job. If you take it, you will end up in Manitowoc where there is a great lakes museum - including a WWII sub that is worth seeing.
            Hondas
            '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
            Suzuki
            '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
            Kaw
            '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

I can't be of much help with the roads but I have gone north thu Michigan and crossed to the upper penninsula. I know a little bit about crossing the border into Canada. If you have any kind of criminal record they won't let you in and will probably hassle you for hours. To return to the states you need a passport or 2 forms of ID usually a drivers liscense and a birth certificate. Check with US customs to find out what ID they accept.If you want to spend time in western NY I can give you a lot of info. I am a Buffalo native and know the area quite well.Niagra Falls Ontario is more touristy and has a great many attractions, you might also want to visit Niagra on the lake, about 40 minutes north fo Niagra Falls at the end of the Naigra River where it empties into Lake Ontario. Across the river from Niagra on the Lake is Old Fort Niagra which dates back to the French and Indian war and was important in the war of 1812. Lots to see and do in the area but the roads are pretty flat and straight around the lakes.

Comment

Thanks for all the input - especially on the rather bizzare anti-stunt law. Our route is going take the route from Manitoulin Island to the Bruce peninsula via the ferry.

Spyug, if we split from the rest of our group on Thursday the 31st, we will be headed back up through your area. If your schedule permits, I never turn down an offer of a local guide.

We likely won't make a final determination on our plan for the 31st on until we see how things go on the first half of the trip. If you think it might work into your schedule, send me a pm.

Comment

Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch... Moe, Larry, the cheese...
                  1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                    You know most people here are asking WTF and pondering your sanity. I, on the other hand, understand completely and got quite a laugh...........

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                      You know most people here are asking WTF and pondering your sanity. I, on the other hand, understand completely and got quite a laugh...........

Thanks,
                      Joe
                      +1

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                        Oh! A wise guy......

Comment

I grew up (?) with Stoogemania, wasn't allowed to watch at home, so had to sneak and watch it at friends houses. My folks were worried that my brothers and I did enough damage to each other WITHOUT lessons! BTW, Larry Fine was a fellow Philadelphian; my mother-in-law lived on his block. We even have a mural of him on a wall in that neighborhood (now a ghetto of sorts). And whenever anyone says "Niagara Falls"...
                          1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
                          X