Pictured Rocks NP-2nd week of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictured Rocks NP-2nd week of October?

Hi folks, I live in Michigan but I've never seen Lake Superior. I'm thinking of riding up from lower western Michigan to Pictured Rocks NP, visiting Sleeping Dear Dune NP, and camping at Winderness SP the first night. Next day-making Pictured Rocks NP, and camping there 2 nights. 4th day-visiting Sault St. Marie and heading back south, camping the 4th night near the straits. Final day-heading home. The Full Moon will be on the 14th, and I find that a bright moon makes for an enjoyable night camp. I will hold my travel until the forecast is for dry weather. Because I am self employed, I can do this. I invite any of you to join me. Let me know, Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

I love the UP

Hi Bill - Sounds like a really good ride and I think you picked a great place to head.
    Will this be the first time you rode a cycle over the Mackinac bridge? This in itself is an adventure. Inside lane is all steel grate. You can see thru (200 ft above the water at tallest point) to the water - dont look down if heights are a problem - and very slippery. Paved outside lane not much better as you get the feeling that the edge is very close. Watch for high winds.
    Pictured Rock area is very beautiful. I recommend taking the boat out of Munising (I think) for the tour as you really cant see the Pictured Rocks from land.
    Lake Superior is the coldest inland fresh water I have ever been in. Even after a full hot summer the water is CCCCCCOLD. Go ahead and dangle your feet - It only took about 2 minutes for both my feet to turn deep blue. I have seen some fantastic storms rolling over Superior. This body of water can turn ugly really fast.
    Good luck with the weather. Wish I could join you.
    85 1150E

Comment

I've never been over the bridge on a bike, in a car-yes. People on the bridge seem to drive too slow for me, but passing on the grate with a bike would worry me. This ride will depend on moderate weather, above 32f and no sleet. "There are no gains, without taking the pains."
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
      X