One of my favorite links: GS Model Referance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my favorite links: GS Model Referance

I'm sure it's been seen before, but I think (while looking at it, and after hunting it down again to do so) that it should be shared here (and maybe stickied, I know I just saved it). I don't know much about the site's poster, but whomever they be, they sure love these old bikes. The author has done quite a comendable job of outlining the differences between the various models released over the years.
    It's thanks to this site that I know a GS1000L apart from any other GS model not just for the stepped seat, but mostly for the front axel being bolted to the front of the fork, as opposed to straight onto the fork from underneath, when I see it. Now where else can you learn that sort of thing?

Probably the biggest Suzuki motorcycle fan site of the world. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki bikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers.

Some bad info on the site. Pics of '79 GS1000S used to depict an '80 model. Several differences...brakes, pipes, seat, pegs, carbs, rotors, front master cylinder, speedo. And Wes Cooley replica was never an official Suzuki label. Yoshimura Team rider Wes Cooley rode a GS1000 (NO FAIRING). When Suzuki released the GS1000S in '79 Yoshimura was then allowed to add the fairing to their race bike (according homologation rules) for better aerodynamics. The 1000S was not a replica.

Comment

Mostly it's a good and accurate compilation of the GS family. But one must be aware that his perspective is of European models. There have been some subtle differences between US models and those that were produced for Europe, Australia, and even the domestic Japanese market. Keep this in mind when using his site as a reference.

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
        Mostly it's a good and accurate compilation of the GS family. But one must be aware that his perspective is of European models. There have been some subtle differences between US models and those that were produced for Europe, Australia, and even the domestic Japanese market. Keep this in mind when using his site as a reference.
        But it's still pretty good, for something compiled outside the factory, and an excellent referance for noobs. I started learning about Suzuki's the hard way. I raced offroad cross-country, as a privateer, and otherwise rode nothing but Yamamhas, and never on a public road, from my teens, until I was almost 30. Traded an old van for my first road bike, another Y, an XK-400 twin (400 twin 4 stroke, I know... friend had an RD400 2 stroke, that was fun, too), which ran the bowls dry every time I rode it (winning the only respect from owner #1 of about 10 whod owned it, and were afraid of it, at least too so to run the bowls empty.. I had rigged a gas cap with a long rubber hose, so I could inflate the tank up by lung power.... #1 hooked me up with a 750 petcock!), but ran into a dead GS650 with a bobbed butt, apehangers wchich had to go, a tiny tricycle seat, but (the clincher, love at first site) mostly 4 into 4 chrome cherry bombs that ended about the pegs, or so, and traded up. Rebuilt that, and that was how I discovered suzuki's. One exception, I had a blue suzuki t-something 100cc, but I had a YZ100 at the same time, and sicounted the old blue suze as laughable: literally, in fact, my best use for it was something to let my buddies ride, and fall off of, well worth it, to have company, and slapstick comedy. I used the YZ100 for that, later, but thats just plain cruel, only a couple of bungholes deserved that kind of beating, the last one destroyed it. But you know what a "buddy beater" is, for further referance, now, right? Anyway, my 650 went 999 US miles, and I smoked it, too, found by sheer coincidence, a perfect running 79 GS1000, for exactly what I had, ohhhh, was that better, cherry bombs, or not, I sure wish that I had YOU GUYS and this site, back then. I didnt even have the internet, but I had free dennis kirk cats, and another really strange dude, I met on my 650, who, rather than trying to convince me of anything at all, showed me his fist, since the tattoos on his knuckles prooved that he'd been the mechanic model for the shoot of the clymer do on that same 650. And in fairness, he just said "look, and look in your book", I would have laughed my ass off if he'd just told me that, usually, reallity is just over the top unpassable, unbelievable, and useless to otherwise pass as even half-assed fiction. Like an Alfa-Romeo I had that after the 3rd of the 4 times it ever stalled, complained to it's disbelieving prior owner, that it kept doing it at the exsact same spot, like it just wouldnt go there. Prior laughed his butt off, said I was pulling his chain, till he asked me, and I told him (something he knew I did not) where: it kept doing it less than 100 meters before it's ORIGINAL owners house. I was the 3rd, the guy I got it from just got the "chicken skin", with his hair all up, and that gasp, when I told him WHERE that car kept stalling (and for absolutely NO actual reason). 4th time, same place, I LIED to that car, with all my heart, like, and it started right back up, and never did it, anywhere, ever again, it was the most reliable car I ever owned, actually. Swear that car was almost alive, but that story is just too out there, in fact, I dindt feel I had to disclose or warn the next owner anything about that car, it wasnt "haunted", and the details of why I sold it, were too much to believe. And besides, he had that same thing I had for that car, and it wouldnt matter, that car was very "Christine", he was going to buy it no matter what. I raked him for everything he had, for as long as I felt like like, he promised "whatever I wanted, on terms", I made him proove that I didnt have to feel bad about getting him addicted to the thing, and its moods, he was already done for.

Comment

I agree with Tom, good reference site but be careful.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

From your "mega-welcome"...

Lots of good information/pictures here:
            http://www.suzukicycles.org
            Motorcycle Specifications Overviews and Road Tests

http://www.bikez.com
            http://www.bikepics.com

Suzuki Engine and Frame Numbers
            http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/engine-nos/engnos.htm

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BrainBucket View Post
              blah blah blah.
              Please, paragraphs! I tried, I reallty tried to read that and made it two lines in and experienced a true Windows 95 style mental breakdown. Other then that welcome!

<Return> FTW!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by BV1 View Post
                Please, paragraphs! I tried, I reallty tried to read that and made it two lines in and experienced a true Windows 95 style mental breakdown. Other then that welcome!

<Return> FTW!

Steve
                Thats becuase I am completely insane. But I'm also always right, that's what made me insane in the first place. That also means that it's contageous, if you realize that I'm right, and understand what the truth of it is, then you go as crazy as I am, I retire head shrinkers, good thing you stopped reading short of realizing what I really meant. When all of a sudden, I start making sense, you are screwed, you'l be a nuts as I am, but you'l see the forest for the trees, thats for sure.
                Fortunately, this forum is pretty safe, you really have to get on the back of a bike with me to be affected by my madness where motorcycles are concerned, so this forum is safe enough from catching my madness.

Comment

I did read the whole thing. I was mezmerized. Almost he had me converted to the depths of insanity. I was dreaming of the alfa-romero and picturing myself as James Bond, except seriously sexier.

Then I got to the part where he LIED to the car. HE LIED TO THE CAR! That snapped the hypnotic trance. As I shook the webs from my brain I realized how close I came to perverted reality.

Whew! That was close!

Comment

I did read the whole thing. I was mezmerized. Almost he had me converted to the depths of insanity. I was dreaming of the alfa-romero and picturing myself as James Bond, except seriously sexier.

Then I got to the part where he LIED to the car. HE LIED TO THE CAR! That snapped the hypnotic trance. As I shook the webs from my brain I realized how close I came to perverted reality.

Whew! That was close!
                    Hey, I meant it at the time, you know how that is. But it ended like the end of that movie about the same car causing havok, The Graduate, in the end, he understood that he had to choose, the car wouldnt let him ever have anyone else, he drives it as far as it would go, and walked away. Girl or car, choose. I wont say what my choice was, it was a comprimise, but the car went to someone who made me, by coincidence, the offer I amde to get it: Anything you want for as long as it takes, I just have to have it. And the new owner was just as hooked, and he did, I juiced him until I got bored with it, and it started consuming him, I didnt want to watch. I did things for that car I never did for anything else, it was the worst addiction I ever had. Like I said, I even lied to the damn thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X