Flight 93 ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight 93 ride

there is a ride this saturday from philly to shanksville. its a memorial ride for the people on Flight 93. i wont be able to attend but seems like a nice 7 hour ride. http://www.brothersforflight93.com/

I've been to the memorial site. It would be a nice ride on a bike.

Comment

I rode there on a bicycle. Got there on the third day of my trip from Wilmington. Look for my name in the remembrance book from May 31 of this year. It is located on Skyline drive, the highest point in the county, 1 mile from an airport and a lake. Nearby is a scrap metal yard (it was there before the incident) and the actual site is 500 yards away from the pavilion.

If you go, there are no facilities and parking can be limited. Around 9/11 it gets incredibly busy there. Shanksville is a one horse town with only one country store I could find and no accommodations.

If you enter from the route 30 side skyline drive comes up pretty quick. If you miss it you can take the other end of skyline drive back up.

It certainly is hallowed ground.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

One thing most people don't realize is that if the plane had stayed in the air a few seconds longer it would have come down on an elementary school. When we visited the site we were told one student asked his or her teacher if they were in any danger on the day of the attack. The teacher told the child no, we are in the middle of nowhere and not a target. Pretty ironic.

Comment

My wife and I have driven that area and made that visit. The roads in that area of Pennsylvania are a rider's dream, both for variety and curves and also for scenery. The memorial site itself is simple and informal, made significant by the thousands of notes and artifacts left there by visitors. It's in many ways a pilgrimage, and once there one feels totally respectful and moved that ordinary people living ordinary lives were thrown into that horrendous situation and managed so well against such insanity and hatred.

In the same area as well is the fabulous historical site of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Waters" home, as well as a lesser known Wright house, "Kentuck Knob". The trip is a must for architectural buffs and is an unforgettable visit to a modern day shrine, the Flight 93 crash site.

Comment

Working...
          X