Death Valley '09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Valley '09

Howdy! The dates are set, 21 Jan.- 4 Feb. '09. We're mostly riding urals, but any and all makes are welcome, especially if hack'd! More particulars can be found here...

Could be fun.... Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Starts on my B-day!
      Count me in!
      We have to make the reservations?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Starts on my B-day!
        Count me in!
        We have to make the reservations?
        Howdy Chef, You don't have to make reservations, but it helps, if you want to stay at the NPS campground at Furnace Creek.. http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisi...servations.htm
        There are a couple other campgrounds across the road, but we mostly stay at the NPS one...The first weekend, 23-25 Jan., is the ADVRider & BMWMOA 'Death Valley Daze' event and the NPS campground can get pretty full of riders, unless it is like last year and the passes get closed due to snow....most folks who ride in canceled due to the weather, but a few hardy souls did brave the snow and elements to ride there... I personally trailer in. Here's some ride reports my friend Dave (Mr. Cob) wrote up over the past few years..
        Howdy All, Well grab a cold one and get comfortable this is going to be another of my long winded tales punctuated with lots of photos. :deal...

Howdy All, This years Adv-Ride, in Death Valley was an “adventure” in the truest sense, it was full of serious situations that taxed our...

Comment

furnace creek...it was near there my bike ...well, the two gallons of gas on the back...started burning. Of course I didn't realise that till keeler

Comment

I've been there. It gets pretty darn cold there during the winter. Those Russian bikes might feel at home...

I recommend waiting a bit. I spent the first two weeks of April there and it was heaven! There were two other guys there with bikes (a V-45 Interceptor and an XS eleven) and we had the whole valley pretty much to ourselves! We all camped there at Furnace Creek.

I especially loved the ride coming in to Death Valley from the west! Gorgeous scenery and changes in elevation...

First I rode from Maryland to Key West, then across the country to CA (after making a stop in Houston, a lengthy stop in Tucson, etc.), then down to the Mexican border, then back to the LA area (staying in Huntington Beach). Then I rode up to SF and Marin, over to Reno, down to Tahoe, and then to Death Valley.

I had a gf in Tucson back in those days.

By then I was all tanned. Then I rode back to LA, then back to Tucson, then to Santa Fe, up to Denver, across to Chicago, Columbus, then home.

That was 25 years ago (geez, I'm getting old)!

I did this on a V-45 Sabre. Here's a pic of the bike in Death Valley...
            Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willycrash View Post
              furnace creek...it was near there my bike ...well, the two gallons of gas on the back...started burning. Of course I didn't realise that till keeler

Howdy willycrash! that sure sounds like a story, care to share?

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage View Post
                I've been there. It gets pretty darn cold there during the winter. Those Russian bikes might feel at home...

I recommend waiting a bit. I spent the first two weeks of April there and it was heaven! There were two other guys there with bikes (a V-45 Interceptor and an XS eleven) and we had the whole valley pretty much to ourselves! We all camped there at Furnace Creek.

I especially loved the ride coming in to Death Valley from the west! Gorgeous scenery and changes in elevation...

First I rode from Maryland to Key West, then across the country to CA (after making a stop in Houston, a lengthy stop in Tucson, etc.), then down to the Mexican border, then back to the LA area (staying in Huntington Beach). Then I rode up to SF and Marin, over to Reno, down to Tahoe, and then to Death Valley.

I had a gf in Tucson back in those days.

By then I was all tanned. Then I rode back to LA, then back to Tucson, then to Santa Fe, up to Denver, across to Chicago, Columbus, then home.

That was 25 years ago (geez, I'm getting old)!

I did this on a V-45 Sabre. Here's a pic of the bike in Death Valley...
                Howdy Highmileage! Yea this year was pretty cold, all the passes in were closed with snow at one time or another ...but other years it's been in the 80s. Even this year there was a few nice 70-80 deg. days.We stay for a couple weeks every year, just to make the trip worthwhile and all.... The dates are kind of set around the ADVrider & DVDaze get together the weekend before the Superbowl every year...I personally don't give a sh1t about sports so we stay for the next weekend too ...Saline Valley has some awesome hot springs to camp at, it's just north of DV.. here's some ass't pics

from Saline Valley north to Crankshaft Crossing

Comment

some more pics

Comment

couldn't help it...some more

Comment

looking at the old pics is getting me jazzzed!

Comment

they don't call it adventure riding for nothing I guess

Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

dont forget to go to scottys castle David

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                            dont forget to go to scottys castle David
                            Thanks Dad I've never been inside the 'castle' itself, and for a $20-$25 admission, I may never see it, looks like a common McMansion from outside... the gas station there has been closed the past 2 years... ? I find Mother Nature's offerings are much more enticing

Comment

Originally posted by daveo View Post
                              Thanks Dad I've never been inside the 'castle' itself, and for a $20-$25 admission, I may never see it, looks like a common McMansion from outside... the gas station there has been closed the past 2 years... ? I find Mother Nature's offerings are much more enticing
                              I went there 35 years ago and i paid about $3. The only thing i remember are the evaporator coolers built into each room like small water falls. They were all marble and fed by a spring located on top of a nearby hill.

I would never pay A crazy admission for any tourist trap either.

Watch the sudden winds that flare up in the night and have a great time Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X