Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best winter motorcycle destination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best winter motorcycle destination?

My buddy and I are planning a motorcycle trip for mid to late Feb. He is in Boston and I'm near Chicago so the riding around here is slim to none, and Slim left town.

Any advice on the best place for us to go?

Our goal is to fly into some place, rent a couple of bikes, ride one whole day, camp, ride most of the next day, and fly back.

The bikes could be just about anything except HD.

Right now we are looking at three options:
    1. Tuscon AZ - easy fly in and out. Can rent BMW GS or R1200RT. 70F daytime temp and mid 40s at night. I've never been there but my buddy did it last year and says the roads are fun and lots of good scenery.

2. Phoenix AZ - easy to fly in and out. Can rent just about anything you can think of. Lots of good roads, but the ones I know of go to Prescot and then Flagstaff. I think it is just to cold north of Phoenix this time of year.

3. Midland TX - not easy to get to, probably not easy to rent bikes, but my buddy says there is some good motorcycling there and the weather should be good.

Any other suggestions?
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Coastal California is awesome. The road through Big Sur (between Monterrey and San Luis Obispo) is incredible. Camping in there is great - there are some environmental sites that are separate from the others. The weather there can be a little unpredictable, so it may not be the best choice, but scenery is hard to beat.

Comment

Italy... http://www.edelweissbike.com/4DACTIO...E&webCurrency=
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

OMG...this looks SWEEET! Wish I could pull it off, but I can only secure 3 or 4 days, and I'm afraid a trip to Italy pushes it out of my budget a little. But, I'm going to bookmark the link. Someday I'd love to do a little international adventure touring and this looks like a great option.
        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

My buddy just spend five days in Baja riding new Honda XR650's with several of his friends, a guided tour sort of thing. In and around the Baja race location but a few days before the race.

If you are into dirt that would be ****.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            My buddy just spend five days in Baja riding new Honda XR650's with several of his friends, a guided tour sort of thing. In and around the Baja race location but a few days before the race.

If you are into dirt that would be ****.
            Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like a lot of fun. I'll look into it but neither us have any dirt experience. I think for this quick trip we better stick to paved or mostly paved roads.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
              I'll look into it but neither us have any dirt experience. I think for this quick trip we better stick to paved or mostly paved roads.
              All the more reason to go there, you will learn every minute.
              They have smaller bikes too, 400s for sure, meybe 250s.
              It would be a HOOT!

Comment

Brisbane

Comment

Winter Destination

Where is Simon?

What about Far North Queensland?
                  Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                  1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                  1977 GS400
                  1974 Montesa 250
                  1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Nah, they're all a bit loopy up there in the 'deep north'.

Besides, it's really hard to ride with a banjo strapped to your back.

Comment

Greg,

There are a few GSR members around Tucson and Phoenix that can probably help with info like rentals and routes. First Timer is a former Chicago guy who moved out there in '07 and GS Bill has been out there for some time. Billy Oliver lived out there for a while and went back recently for some dual sport riding.

If you want to make it an all around trip you could rent road bikes for a couple days then do a day or two of dual sport riding. As Tkent said, you'll learn a lot very quickly riding off road and become better road riders. You don't have to do any really tough stuff, just fire roads and easy trails are a blast!

I'd reach out to the guys above for suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks,
                      Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                        Greg,

There are a few GSR members around Tucson and Phoenix that can probably help with info like rentals and routes. First Timer is a former Chicago guy who moved out there in '07 and GS Bill has been out there for some time. Billy Oliver lived out there for a while and went back recently for some dual sport riding.

If you want to make it an all around trip you could rent road bikes for a couple days then do a day or two of dual sport riding. As Tkent said, you'll learn a lot very quickly riding off road and become better road riders. You don't have to do any really tough stuff, just fire roads and easy trails are a blast!

I'd reach out to the guys above for suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        Thanks Joe...I'll do that!

Comment

My vote is for one of my favorite hangouts - the Florida Keys and Key West...

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage View Post
                            My vote is for one of my favorite hangouts - the Florida Keys and Key West...
                            Thanks for the suggestion. I've never been to the Keys but have heard a lot of great things about them. But, of the great things I've heard, none of them have been about what a great motorcycle riding destination they are. Most of FLA motorcycling, as I understand it, is in straight lines. Beautiful scenery no doubt, but not very challenging as far as twisties. Are the Keys different?

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                              Thanks for the suggestion. I've never been to the Keys but have heard a lot of great things about them. But, of the great things I've heard, none of them have been about what a great motorcycle riding destination they are. Most of FLA motorcycling, as I understand it, is in straight lines. Beautiful scenery no doubt, but not very challenging as far as twisties. Are the Keys different?
                              The road down the keys is long, dangerous and boring.

Comment

Working...
                              X