Oregon Coast to Maine in June of '09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon Coast to Maine in June of '09

On June 6 2009, my 3 brothers and I will be riding from Tillamook, OR to Hampden, ME.

Basically, we are going to take 26 accross Oregon and get on to 20 accross the continent to central Illinois, then up into Canada to cross the Great Lakes. We'll see Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc. Anaybody got any ideas of things we should hit?

I'll probably be on my Concours. My brothers will ride my two '80 850G's, and my '82 1100G.

Any ideas about spares we should take? Rectifier? Regulator?

I really don't expect many problems, but we are a bit pressed for time. 12 days on the outside I hope. We have 14 days, but we hope to have a couple days to waste in Maine. I've got a little place there on Hemon Pond.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

You'll be incredibly rushed. Honestly, you should probably either fly to Maine or choose somewhere closer to ride to. Google says that's 6800 miles in 12 days if you took the slab the entire time. Doable, but no time for any scenery or problems. You'll make awful time on 2-lane twisties or national parks. 2-lane highways are much more pleasant than interstates, but you do spend a lot of time in small towns with 20 mph speed limits and 2 traffic lights.

With 4 bikes you can swap batteries if you have an R/R or stator problem. I packed a lot of spares on my trip from Illinois to Seattle and back last summer, and of course nothing I had a spare for broke, although a couple other things did ... but there are NAPA stores everywhere. And, uh, usually a GSer or 2 somewhere around if you're really screwed, like I was.

If you pass through here & want a square meal or you need to change a tire or something, I'm happy to help, too.

Comment

Let us know when you get closer to a date.
      We could get a GS New England ride up and meet yall.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I'll be at FT Leonardwood Missouri then so if you run into any issues I will have a trailer with me and a decent amount of tools.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
          On June 6 2009, my 3 brothers and I will be riding from Tillamook, OR to Hampden, ME. ...
          Originally posted by p_s View Post
          ... Google says that's 6800 miles in 12 days ...
          850 Combat, are you doing a round trip ride oe one way?

Comment

Its one way.

That will leave my little fleet pretty much in Maine. I already have a GS1000G there. Next year, the anual 4 brothers tour will be Nova Scotia, more than likely. I'm looking at 4100 miles or so. Still fairly agressive for us. Its a lot easier to make miles with fewer riders.

Comment

Its one way.
              Ah, my mistake.

For good twisty roads:
              Lolo Pass, US-12 from Lewiston, ID to Lolo, MT
              US-93 south from Lolo to west of Glacier & Yellowstone NP
              From Yellowstone east, there is the Beartooth Pass if you go out the northeast entrance (US-212). There's also the pass through the Bighorns on US-14 or 14a east of Cody. I'd have to give the nod to the Beartooth pass if you have to choose one or the other.

Mt Rushmore is a silly place, but the roads around it are excellent. Definitely go past the Badlands National Park a couple hours east.

The rest of the trip should be pretty boring in comparison.

BTW, Google maps is not quite working right for the roads east of Yellowstone.

Comment

Thanks. Sounds fantastic.

I'll check these out in my Delorme software where I'm planning the trip and see how they fit. I've been to Rushmore a couple times, but one of my brother's hasn't. I still like it. We might see Devil's Tower too.

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                Ah, my mistake.

For good twisty roads:
                Lolo Pass, US-12 from Lewiston, ID to Lolo, MT
                US-93 south from Lolo to west of Glacier & Yellowstone NP
                From Yellowstone east, there is the Beartooth Pass if you go out the northeast entrance (US-212). There's also the pass through the Bighorns on US-14 or 14a east of Cody. I'd have to give the nod to the Beartooth pass if you have to choose one or the other.

Mt Rushmore is a silly place, but the roads around it are excellent. Definitely go past the Badlands National Park a couple hours east.

The rest of the trip should be pretty boring in comparison.

BTW, Google maps is not quite working right for the roads east of Yellowstone.

Comment

My road misadventures to the PNW and back:
                  Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Comment

Normally these posts generate more discussion--perhaps you should ask in the off-topic section.

Post your plan when it's together--I bet you'll get lots of offers for hospitality or help along the way, although there is spotty GSer coverage in the mountains and western plains.

Comment

Your route will be pretty boring

1st, Go south to Nestucca River Rd at Beaver- Cut east to Newberg, Wilsonville, Estacada, then up Hwy 224 to Ripplebrook, then to Timothy Lake, Skyline Dr, Hwy 26 to Hwy 218, to Maupin, Bakeoven rd to Shaniko. Antelope, Fossil, Hwy 19 north, then 206 almost to Heppner, Willow Creek Rd to Ukiah, Hwy 244 to I-84 to Lagrande, Hwy 82 to Enterprise, Hwy 3 to Lewiston, Hwy 12 over Lolo Pass as Paul suggested, down to Yellowstone, June may be early for the NE gate to Red Lodge, (Alternate is east gate to Cody), Hwy 14 to Sheridan, stay on 14 to Devils Tower.

Black Hills - be sure to ride 385, the Hwy 18 east thru the Badlands.

I'd stay on Hwy 18 to Prairie du Chien, WI. (not many interesting rds in Southern MN/N Iowa)

Then head NE towards Portage for some of the best roads in the country. in WI the county roads (lettered like A or BB) are really nice.

You might want to detour south to see the House on the Rock near Spring Green

The Attraction For over 60 years, the House on the Rock has been a majestic work in progress. It began in 1945, when a man named Alex Jordan had a towering goal: to build a man-made retreat as awe-inspiring as the view from the rock upon which the house would eventually be built. From that […]

Alex Jordan was one of the world's greatest collectors - entire 1890s streets and shops, armor, carousels, guns, etc, etc - the web site does not do this place justice

Nearby is Taliesin - if you're into architecture and Frank Lloyd Wright

Taliesin is the home, studio, school, and 800-acre property of Frank Lloyd Wright in the Driftless Region of southern Wisconsin near Spring Green.

Cut across to Waupun, then east past Fond du Lac to Manitowoc (really nice roads here). Have a real bratwurst or see if there's racing at Road America

Located in Wisconsin's scenic Kettle Moraine, Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc. is one of the world's fastest permanent road racing tracks.

THE nicest race track in the country.

Take the ferry across Lake Michigan, head east to Flint and Port Huron into Canada (be sure and have your passports or birth certificates).

You have now avoided miles of boring cornfields (yes there's some in Iowa), Chicago and Detroit.

East to Niagara Falls, upstate NY and on to your destination.

It's a once in a lifetime ride - ride good roads!!
                      Last edited by Big T; 01-18-2009, 03:32 AM. Reason: bratwurst
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That looks bitchin'

When does that at Manitowoc ferry run? How long does it take?

Are some of those roads dirt? Like around Timothy Lake?

Comment

That looks bitchin'

When does that at Manitowoc ferry run? How long does it take?

Are some of those roads dirt? Like around Timothy Lake?
                          Nestucca River Rd has about a mile of gravel in the middle.

I haven't done the Ripplebrook/Timothy Lake in a few years. The main Rd FS 57, is probably part gravel. I used to go FS 57, L on 58, rt on 5810 and that was paved the whole way. I really need to go explore that route (or you could contact the FS) . All the rest of the roads are paved, barring road construction. I've ridden all of those Oregon roads (except Hwy 3) over the years, I keep meaning to go that way to Hwy 12.

I don't know the ferry schedule. Just Google it. It takes a few hours to cross the lake and is very cool, as I remember from my childhood (40 yrs ago).

It ain't cheap, but you'll save that much in gas, food and motels by not going Chicago/Gary/Detroit (the short way). The long way (Escanaba/ Mackinac bridge) is scenic, but you'll probably be interested in time when you get to WI. (trust me, you could spend 2-3 days just riding around SW WI)

Plus, it's a once in a lifetime trip, isn't it? Memories really don't have a pricetag.
                          Last edited by Big T; 01-19-2009, 10:03 PM.
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I've ridden Nestucca river road tons of times. Dirt patches there are not that bad, but Delorme sgows FS57 the same as it shows the forrest service roads in the coastal range. I nhave ridden those a lot on dual sports.

I would not enjoy fully loaded 600lb tourers on that stuff.

Comment

I would not enjoy fully loaded 600lb tourers on that stuff.
                              I agree with you there.

FS 57 was paved for a ways last time I was there. I never believe Delorme or any other system because they just use old data and don't verify.

Call the Willamette National forest, or Ripplebrook ranger station and ask someone who knows. Just ask them if there's a paved route from Ripplebrook to Timothy.
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X