Maine to Florida and back, end of April, beginning of May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maine to Florida and back, end of April, beginning of May

Well, my girlfriend and I are going to be going down to visit her parents who live in Panama City Beach around April 28th and come back 8-10 days later. We've talked her cousin and his girlfriend into going also. Her cousin has a 99 Suzuki Intruder. There's going to be the 11th Thunder Beach spring rally going on that weekend too so that adds to the reasons to ride down.

Now for the cons of riding down... They are all worried about a 1600+ mile trip each way, being a little bit too long to start a vacation and possibly being sore while being down there. (I just tell them to get over it lol) Also, I looked in the Farmer's Almanac and it says that the weather is more than likely going to be a mix of snow/crap up here when we leave.

We do have the option of flying (but it will actually cost more to fly down than to take 2 bikes down) PLUS we won't have our bikes down there. My gf's father has a bike and really wants to ride when we get down there so we'd have to rent bikes on top of already spending a couple hundred more just in traveling.

Another option would be to trailer the bikes down if we wanted to just make it a straight shot down taking turns driving instead of probably a 2 day trip on the bikes. It would be a more comfortable ride where people could sleep or eat while someone else drives. And if it did happen to be bad weather anywhere, big deal! It also wouldn't cost too much more than riding two bikes down.

Now's the big question: what are everyone's thoughts/feelings on this? Should we bike, fly, trailer the bikes down or even just drive a car down, pay less in tolls, and a lot less in gas, but still have no bikes when down there????
    Ride the bikes DUH!
    48.28%
    Trailer the bikes down and have a quick trip
    48.28%
    Drive a car
    0.00%
    Fly
    3.45%
    other
    0.00%

Trailer down

If you knew the weather would be acceptable at home for departure and return, then you may wish to make the round-trip part of the adventure.

Multiple drivers with trailer is a great way to get to a destination quickly,
    and then maximise the riding time there.

We did just this for a bike trip that began in New Mexico,
    and our annual 'mountain twisty' trips.

That New Mexico trip is identified by my 'states visited by cycle' map below.

Comment

Well, I have experience riding down to florida from NY twice. I am also going again this year, I'm leaving on February 28th. Its a bit colder this time of the year so you will have to bundle up very good. What I do is ship my clothes down there to my grandparents house. I take only what I need for the trip. An extra set of clothes, small tools, and some other minor gadgets. I wear a backpack and strap another backpack to the back of my bike. This year I might consider a small tank bag.

The biggest enemy is the wind in the cold weather. So you want everything to be covered, gloves are the most important thing. Than comes a facemask, pants, shirts, socks.

You will get extreme cramps in all parts of your body, your butt, back, neck and hands will hurt the most. A comfortable seat is a must.

I tend to stop for gas about every 130 miles, I tend to ride about 75-85 mph the whole time. Rest stops are your best friend. Make sure you bring plenty of cash, Dont rely on a credit or debit card for gas. Because if you have some kind of problem with it in the middle of no where, your screwed. Cash always talks.

Dont try to ride to much after dark. Once it gets dark, then I start looking for a motel and dinner. Its already been about 10 hours of riding and you must rest.

Other than that, its so much fun, tons of sights to see and places to stop at. Plus its good to be one with the bike for a long period of time.

Oh yeah, tolls are the biggest pain in the arse. I stop a few hundred feet before the toll, take my gloves off, but them under my bungy. Get the money out, ride up to the booth with the money in your left hand against the grip. Pop it in neutral, put your kickstand down, hand off the money, get your change, put it in the left pocket. Now pull away from the booth and pull over to the right side of the road. Rearrange your money and put it away, put your gloves back on, check over your bike quick and your off to go.

hope this helps.

Comment

So what is the longest ride you and your girlfriend have done together?
        Or her cousin and his??
        Could be a really fun trip or one from hell/
        I have trailered from NH to Fla my GS and it was nice and easy. Take off the bike there and it is fresh and relatively clean.
        Would want to make sure everything is good on the bikes and go for it.
        Or not and still go for it. Yound and got the time sure.
        Me now, trailer.
        One thing I would never do is trailer to Moose.
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Not to hijack too much, but Matt, do you have any more pictures of the Gran Torino??
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
            Not to hijack too much, but Matt, do you have any more pictures of the Gran Torino??

You really just confused me... I was going to tell you that I don't have any pics of a Gran Torino, let alone more! Then I scrolled back up and realized that you were talking to the OTHER Matt who had posted!

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
              You really just confused me... I was going to tell you that I don't have any pics of a Gran Torino, let alone more! Then I scrolled back up and realized that you were talking to the OTHER Matt who had posted!
              Sorry, my mistake
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

My experience has been that my girlfriend wants to get off the bike way sooner than I do. I know she wouldn't make the trip, at least not presently. So if he ladies are going to be the main issue, have them fly and you two ride down. It'll probably be a great ride.

Comment

First, you said 1600 miles and 2 days of riding. I personally have only done 650 miles in a day and that was pushing it. I couldn't imagine doing 1600 in 2 days with a passenger. Just my .02.

With Gas prices back to reasonable, I'd say trailering is the way to go. If you have access to a trailer? U-Haul only rents bike trailers for local use (not that they would know), but the price for 10 days would probably be significant. When I moved from Florida to Ohio, I rented a 5x8 U-Haul trailer and drilled/added some eye hooks for tie downs. Worked like a charm and the ZZR was in an enclosed trailer. I'm not sure you could get 2 bikes in there though.

Also, last sunday's paper here had an article about cheap air fair. I think we could fly roundtrip to Tampa from Columbus for under $200. Something else to think about.

I love my ZZR, so I'd have to trailer if I were in your shoes.

Comment

8 to 10 day trip? Most likely you wont make two 800 mile days with four people, and that will put you at the three day each way mark . Now you only have 2 to four days down there, and chances are you will be exhausted your first day. I say trailer down take turns driving,and get there in one day. Then you have your bikes to enjoy and a full week to enjoy the sun and the beach .

Comment

Another vote for trailering... I have made that drive and it's just miserable to do if you aren't taking your time and seeing the sights. Not only is it 1600 miles, it's 1600 miles of Interstate 95.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        Another vote for trailering... I have made that drive and it's just miserable to do if you aren't taking your time and seeing the sights. Not only is it 1600 miles, it's 1600 miles of Interstate 95.
                        Even in warm clear weather and with light traffic, I-95 is a long boring drive.

And that's going one up with no time constraints.

I'd trailer.

Comment

Trailer, definitely

I do as much long distance riding as anyone; and I say trailer it. Two bikes, two up, limited time. limited long haul experience. No brainer.

And DON'T take I-95. Cut over to I-81 and then down at least to Charlotte on I-77. From there it depends on whether you want to go via Jacksonville or via Atlanta. Unfortunately you don't don't have a straight Interstate shot to Panama City.

Always go over to 81. The mileage is close and time-wise it may be quicker depending on traffic. It is definitely cheaper on 81/77 as you miss the heavy tolls all along 95. And cruising through the Shenandoah is many times more pleasant that fighting the big cities and traffic on 95.

But don't tell anyone else about it. I don't want the word to get out and have our little secret overrun.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

How about trailering partway? Say, till your a nice one days ride from your destination, leave the trailer, ride down, spend a few days then head back to and load them back up.

If your renting from Uhaul, you might be able to make arrangements to the vehicle & trailer at one of their locations in the ATL or Birmingham, AL then pick it back up on your way home. Near my home, there are couple Uhaul places that are also storage facilities, so your vehicle would be safe.

Either that, or some GSR member might have some extra room to let you drop at their place for a few days.

Comment

I would definately trailer, 1600 miles 2-up would be a killer. I am not sure how much long distance riding you have done, but in my eperience 800 miles is a long, miserable day, and that would be riding solo, which allows a much greater range of movement and stretching. Riding with a passenger you both are generally locked in with a minimum of movement possible which makes for sore spots.

I don't know how your passenger is, but Heidi gets VERY cranky after about 350 miles. She also gets cranky if we are on the bike for much more than an hour without a stop to stretch. This makes for a near impossiblity of an 800, or even a 500 mile day with her on the back.

the other option that was mentioned was the guys riding down and the gals flying. That might be cool, but I bet the gals would be in a total panic the whole time. It might make for some unnecessary stress.

If the entire purpose of the trip was just to enjoy the drive down and back, just to make it a bike trip, it would be awesome. Problem is, being under the gun as far as time and trying to put miles behind you as fast as possible, the enjoyment might not be there.

Comment

Working...
                              X