Washington DC: around or thru?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington DC: around or thru?

I live near Philadelphia and will be spending a weekend in May at my uncle's house in Alexandria Virginia.

Any suggestions for a route, particularly getting from north of DC to south of Alexandria?
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

You taking a car or a bike?

Take 95 South until just past Baltimore. Take 695 a few exits East to 295 (Baltimore Washington Pkwy). State Rd 295 turns into Interstate 295 just south of DC. It runs right into I-95/495 a few miles after. Take I-95/495 West. Jump on Van Dorn street headed North, and it'll take you right through Alexandria from the south side.

I used to live right at Seminary and I-95, and commuted every day to Baltimore and back. You can take 95 all the way south to the beltway, but it is 6 lanes per side of homicidal maniacs. 295 is a little more scenic, two lanes each way, but just as fast. I used it unless I got advance notice of a wreck... accidents slow down 95, but shut 295 completely down.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2009, 12:52 AM. Reason: I'm a dingbat...

Comment

That's the kind of advice I'm looking for, thanks. My uncle lives south of Belle Haven, around Fort Hunt and Collingwood roads.

I'd like to take the bike if it's not too crazy. I plan on leaving the philly area Friday morning.

Comment

Should be a cool trip. That is my old area...lived there most of my life til 5 years ago, and the parkway is right there by your uncles house, so you could always bang up it and check out G. washingtons house. I highly recommend stopping by the Krispy Creme store there on rt 1 in Alex....especially if the HOT DONUTS NOW light is on

Comment

Originally posted by Bribird View Post
          I highly recommend stopping by the Krispy Creme store there on rt 1 in Alex....especially if the HOT DONUTS NOW light is on
          Very familiar with that place... We still miss it.

We were telling my wife's grandmother, who's lived in West Va. for 30+ years, about our late night donut runs. Turns out she worked there when she was a kid.

The Duke St. Cantina, just east of Jordan on Duke St, is an amazing mexican joint. Sign out front says, "Our food is so authentic, don't drink the water here."

Comment

I was so addicted to those fresh hot donuts...I remember many a belly ache after eating a dozen in like 15 minutes.... It was just too easy to do.

Comment

If do indeed ride down me and my girl will be happy to show you around.
              Cheers

Comment

I just did that Parkway drive a few days ago. But I wasn't planning to...

I came in from the eastern shore on 50 planning to ride the outer loop of the beltway, but several crashes tied that up and the sign said that there was a six mile backup.

I was actually heading for Rt 66 west to Warrensville, but took the Parkway past RFK and the Blue Plains plant (hold your nose!) to the beltway inner loop. (I did consider taking New York Avenue in and taking the southeast/southwest freeway under the Capitol, but decided instead to check out the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge - I hadn't yet ridden it.)

The interchange construction is still underway both in Alexandria and at the mixing bowl but it doesn't slow you down - pretty spectacular and obviously very expensive construction - your tax dollars stimulating us I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                  I live near Philadelphia and will be spending a weekend in May at my uncle's house in Alexandria Virginia.

Any suggestions for a route, particularly getting from north of DC to south of Alexandria?
                  Depends on your goal, but assuming A-B is the goal, I would recommend 295 (BW Parkway). It's a bit more chill and NO trucks are allowed on it and it's a bit more direct than 95 and it doesn't have a new bridge to negotiate.

If you're looking to drive through the city, you should be comfortable in a seriosly awful traffic city environment - horrid traffic patterns, three lane circles/roundabouts, traffic lights at the side of the road (rather than overhead), loads of one way streets, pedestrians that pay no mind to vehicle traffic regardless of the situation, cabbies that are oblivious and will kill you completely by accident, HORRIBLE roads - don't think potholes, think potCANYONS, roads that are too small for the traffic alone yet have delivery vehicles double and triple parked, a general driving culture that is simply survival of the fittest and a rush our that lasts from 6 am to 7 pm. If you're not comfortable in such an environment, avoid it like the plague.

If you do head into DC, it can be fun if you take your time and know where you want to go and you have loads of route options so you should figure out what you wanna see/drive by and route from there.

One more thing: Avoid SE DC like long-tailed cat avoids rocking chairs - it's the epicenter of crime in the city and, as a fair skinned folk on a classic motorcycle with PA plate, you'll stand out like a pink elephant. If you do find yourself in a rough part of the city, the best advice is to simply NEVER come to a complete stop or even a walking speed near any groups or individuals that are focused on you.

Best of luck!

Comment

Don't forget to use I 495 around Wilmington, DE. It's speed limit is 10 MPH faster, and less traffic. It rejoins I 95 just below Wilmington.
                    1979 GS 1000

Comment

Its been a couple years since I moved from the area but its a straight shot down 95. Cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Take the Old Town exit and make the first right which is Jefferson and then another right at Mt Vernon Pkwy. Follow that for like 10 or 15 miles Collinwood is on the right. Nice drive in the early spring.

Comment

Well, I ended up taking highway 1 south out of PA all the way to Baltimore. All the way THROUGH Baltimore, for that matter, stoplights and all.

Once through Bmore, I jumped on 295 and then the outer loop of the beltway, crossed the WWilson bridge, and found my way to my uncle's (just a few miles up from Mt Vernon).

Not wanting to deal with the stoplights of urban Bmore, I changed my route on the way home.

Crossed the WWbridge, jumped on 295 all the way to Baltimore, where I found I-95 and the Ft McHenry Tunnel, and then I took highway 40 from Bmore to Wilmington, DE, where I took 202 pretty much home.

Did I mention that it was raining for most of the return trip?

And did I mention that I would recommend avoiding weekend traffic through the Ft McHenry Tunnel when it's raining? I'm lucky I didn't soil myself. But I kept the rubber side down, thank God, and made it home safe and dry (and clean).
                        Last edited by kerrfunk; 05-04-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah but the tunnel is fun on a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post

One more thing: Avoid SE DC like long-tailed cat avoids rocking chairs - it's the epicenter of crime in the city and, as a fair skinned folk on a classic motorcycle with PA plate, you'll stand out like a pink elephant. If you do find yourself in a rough part of the city, the best advice is to simply NEVER come to a complete stop or even a walking speed near any groups or individuals that are focused on you.

Best of luck!
                            And you can't carry any heat, only the locals are armed.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The problem with coming up or down 95 is the tolls. They really nail you going north with 5 dollar bridges and a 4 dollar penalty in DE.

I prefer 301. Very scenic, free going south and 2.50 going north. It's only about 10 miles more. Cheap gas in middletown DE. Almost no traffic.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X