Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohio to Florida....Anyone know some good routes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohio to Florida....Anyone know some good routes?

Me and the wifey are planning on a long ride to Florida somewhere and I would like to NOT take the freeway. Does anyone with some experience know the good roads to take?

I would definitely would suggest going by way of skyline drive and the blueridge pkwy. And if you come by way of Wash DC me and my girl could show you around DC. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Quandryron View Post
      Me and the wifey are planning on a long ride to Florida somewhere and I would like to NOT take the freeway. Does anyone with some experience know the good roads to take?
      I've went halfway a few weeks ago, from Akron to Charlotte. The route I took down was simple and enjoyable/fun. In Ohio if you take Rt800 to the Ohio River, it dead ends at Fly, Ohio, which has the Sisterville Ferry to take you across, which is a nice novelty. From there, in WV, Rt16 is close by which will take you all the way through WV, VA and NC, so it's easy to follow, although you'll go to thru Charlotte so may want to find a detour around that part. It's mountainous and fun pretty much the whole way through WV and VA. In the least, the insanely twisty stretch of Rt16 between Tazewell and Marion VA is worth a side trip to if you're in the area.

Good luck on the trip, that'll be a memorable one.

-Ryan

Comment

Thank you Ryan. I've been down 800 as far as Clendening Lake. That was a nice ride. Just didn't do it on a bike. I'll have to start mapping that one out and try it next summer.

Comment

I would definitely would suggest going by way of skyline drive and the blueridge pkwy.

+1

Anyone who rides a motorcycle should ride this route at least once.
          Some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet.

Comment

I used to take 75 but that is quite boring.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I used to take 75 but that is quite boring.
              The Blue Ridge has my vote!

Comment

Hmmm. Blue Ridge pkwy and Skyline drive. I've seen the pics. THAT would be very nice scenery. I've seen pics. It would almost make the trip more interesting than the destination.

Comment

I have done most of 800, although not in one shot, and have taken 16 through WV as far as Fayatteville. I would give that serious consideration for a route to take. As an alternative, if you want to do the Blue Ridge Parkway, pick up US 250 near New Philadelphia, and take that to the tip of the Parkway in VA. If you want to run the Parkway, I suggest doing it north to south. That way the ride and views improve as time goes on. You can always run the Parkway on the way down, and take the other route on the way home.
                  JP
                  1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                  1992 Concours
                  2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                  2007 FJR

Comment

Hmmm. Blue Ridge pkwy and Skyline drive. I've seen the pics. THAT would be very nice scenery. I've seen pics. It would almost make the trip more interesting than the destination.
                    Yes, BRP and Skyline is interesting. Yes, you should ride BRP at least once in your mo'cycle rideing life. But do keep in mind that speed limit is 35 and 45 mph, so ride it for the scenery - not for trying to get anywere. And most all the curves are nice constant radius smooth curves, like on an interstate highway. And hardley nothing along the road, only a few rest stops, hardley any gas stations or restrants or such. But the nice part is no cross traffic, no traffic lights, not any stop signs for hundreds of miles, and great scenic views overlooking valleys and next ridge and next ridge and next ridge. Also keep in mind that any nearby road will be more interesting, maybe not as scenic, but the road itself will be more interesting.

If riding the BRP, do get off on some local roads. I liked the 52, I think, what ever it was that went to Mt Ariey. Fancey Gap exit on the BRP, in VA near the NC state line. Is a campground there off the parkway within sight of exit/entrance. You can use the excuse of taking wifey to the "Andy Griffith Mayberry" touristy stuff in Mt Airey NC (Mt Arie, Mayberry, see). But it is the first several miles off of the BRP that I found to be quite interesting (dropped her off back at camp site and ran it a few more times). Many curves going down mountain side (well, mountain to this flatlander). Could look ahead and see several sections of the road all seemily pointing in different directions. Is a US highway, so 3 lanes in places, not low speed little road, but this way then that way, this way that way, back and forth, back and forth.

And do pick other small little local roads to get off the BRP. Will need to anyway for gas and eats. But also get off to ride some local roads. Keep in mind that some of the local roads just follow the original terain with no cutting and filling so sharp rizes and falls with limited line of sight. And follow the original ox trail or wahtever with tight curves. My point being; not built to any standard that you might be accustome to and assume that any road would conform to, but just paved over what ever trail was there before.

Suprized that Don "dpep" has not popped in here yet. He rides from Florida (Jx'vl) to WV or IN at least once a year. Maybe he doesnt look at this "destinations" section much. Bumping back to top might help.

Last edited by Redman; 11-16-2009, 06:51 PM. Reason: add "Fancey Gap" reference

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Suprized that Don "dpep" has not popped in here yet. He rides from Florida (Jx'vl) to WV or IN at least once a year. Maybe he doesnt look at this "destinations" section much. Bumping back to top might help.

Dave, I do try to make Brown County and West Virginia each year, but I usually slab it to those destinations or at least until I'm close. Interstates aren't as much fun, but if you take all surface roads your trip time is at least doubled. I bite the bullet and use them to save time for the really good roads in the area I am targeting. Now if time is not a consideration, that is a different story.

One question I would have to ask is where in Florida are you planning to go? The Florida line stretches from Pensacola on the Gulf to Jacksonville on the east coast. Pensacola is actually closer to New Orleans than it is to any major Florida city.

Heading south the last mountains are in north Georgia. Or if you travel on or close to I-77 they are gone before the South Carolina line. From those points there are some interesting routes with some decent scenery and a lot of history either inland or along the coast, but forget twisties. It is a different kind of ride through that long stretch.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

don't know if you have made the trip yet or are still planning to, but it just depends on the backdrop you want. there are some cool twists and turns with scenery in eastern ky, and western wv. you have choices from oh to fl. you could go thru tn. or nc from there.

the parkway is cool, used to ride it alot between asheville and mt mitchell. not much to it south of asheville. there is some cool riding southwest of asheville, down thru franklin, up to highlands (nice ride up the gorge) on 64 and over to cashiers. you can get to ga from there. if you get to franklin, you're not far from the dragon's tail.

east of asheville, in black mtn, rt9 goes to north myrtle beach. 9 is a nice drive. mountains to the straights and the ocean in just a few. then again, there's plenty of nice riding in north ga and down, from franklin: ellijay and down thru jasper. need to plan a pitstop for bbq!

i'm not as familiar with the roads south of atlanta on to fla other than the main. i've been on several backroads in south ga, but don't recall anything particular.

Comment

Old RT 23

Old Route 23 goes all the way to Jacksonville.Ends in the ocean.DON'T GO THAT FAR!Road was the original way to fla fom ohio/.

Comment

Hopefully you are going to Flori-duh for something other than the riding and scenery.

I have been down here since the first of the year and am almost bored to tears. Granted, I am stuck dead-center in the middle of the state, in the middle of the Boonies, but I can guarantee that there is not much "fun" riding to be done here.

My wife came down for the weekend. We rode over 500 miles over the weekend, about 400 of that was all below the 50-foot elevation line, according to my GPS tracks.

Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway should be on your "to-do" list, if they don't make it for this trip. Just be aware that the weather on the Parkway can be a bit different than it is down below. One day that we were up there, it was about 80 degrees and sunny as we started the climb to the Parkway, then we had clouds and light rain most of the way. Made it nice, though, not much other traffic.

A couple of pictures and a video to whet your appetite:

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm gonna have to agree with Steve. Florida was probably the worst place to ride a motorcycle. It's hot, humid, and it's soooo flat. Everything. No building or scenery rising in the horizon. Just concrete, and palm trees. Oh and Skyline drive and blueridge parkway is fun. I don't know about the scenery because when I was there, a tropical storm was making it's way through and I had rain the whole time and at one point, dense impenetrable fog. But the driving was fun. What I like to do when picking a route is look at a local map and pick the twistiest road possible.
                              -Theo

Comment

Working...
                              X