High Performance Power and Grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Performance Power and Grounding

Simplified diagram showing how current flows from the R/R(+) through the red wire and returns back through various Black/White ground returns. The green wires are the two recommended additions to improve current flow back to the R/R(-) . If you remove either A: or B: green wires you should be able to visualize how the current gets back to R/R(-).

Addition of A: makes the R/R be connected directly across the battery.
    Addition of B: allows frame currenst to flow back to the R/R(-) without going through the harnes B/W or past the battery. Without current flow is less direct and creates additional voltage drops that can affect charging.

Is your R/R grounded to your frame?

This has become a bit of a running joke since I started the thread below.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Edit: I'm ignoring any responses bakalorz because of his inconsiderate responses, inappropriate comments, sophomoric and circular logic all apparently due to a predisposition for elevating his own self esteem by proving himself right. He is not worth my time. He used up most of my tolerance for him a along time ago. The last posts in that thread is typical of such a unsavory sort.

A quote from Bakalorz

I don't want to be rude, but until you account for that, all your analysis isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.
    Oh well, I guess he is not even very good a making veiled comments. This is a guy he ran over the maximum length on about 3 full posts to dissect, critique and dismiss everything I wrote all to conclude that retaining the stock configuration and adding a ground wire as he apparently had suggested earlier was OK.

Gee whiz you would have though if I got some much wrong in the analysis that it is a miracle that I got an answer that bakaloz agreed to in the end. What are the odds of having some many counteracting "mistakes" and still come up with the right answer? I must have gotten very lucky as the probability of getting every other element wrong and still coming up with the right answer is astronomic. On the other hand Bakaorz could be an analytic wannabe and can only demonstrate his prowess in an unmoderated non technical form such as this.

This edit is intended as a warning, because my analysis on electrical stuff sure seems to collect flys. Balalozor is the biggest one and I'm sure he will show up here as well. I will ignore him

I was just looking for some pics for Cliff and found this pic that I would like to post in no uncertain terms as a warning.

This is a picture of the battery area of my newly acquired 1981 GS750EX. I bought it 1/20/2007 and this picture according to my camera was taken on 1/24/2007 4 days later. At the time the battery was weak and 1/2 full of electrolyte. The PO had recommended I change the battery so as I was doing this I was checking out the charging system.

So you know what you are looking at there are two OEM ring lugs for chassis (frame) ground that have been heated to the point that 95% of the insulation had burnt off or had curled away from the wire. This condition existed for the entire current path from one ring lug, to the point at which this wire connects to the black/white ground wires in the harness and then back to the other ring lug.

This wire was carrying a whole lot of current 30+ amps to fry the insulation off of a wire such as it did. Remember the charging system is only supposed to carry about 12 amp total and there is only a 15 amp fuse in the fuse box for the whole system. The only part of the harness that was charred were those parts that had direct exposure to the connector crimp in the harness which tied the two ring lug wires to the rest of the grounds in the harness. In other words the current was not coming from the harness. If it had of been it would have blown the 15 amp fuse which would not have allowed the current to flow in the first place. So clearly we are looking at a situation where very high ground current (>>+15 amps) is flowing between the two ring lugs.

The only other evidence of heat damage I could find were in the three stator wire connections to the R/R. These had obviously been hot, as the wire was stiff and the insulation distorted. I can't remember now for sure if there were OEM or had been changed, but my guess is it was all stock.

For reference these two ring lugs are mounted to :
    1.) The front mounting bolt of the battery box (under the rubber washer spacer) to establish a frame ground.

2.) The solenoid on the side mounting plate to tie that rubber mounted plate to the frame ground.

As far as I can tell the changing system, stator, R/R and the harness was all OEM and stock including the single stator wire that ran to the headlamp switch.

I'm pretty sure I remember other members here describing a similar condition.

So here is what I did.

1.) Replaced the connections between the stator and the R/R removing the leg going to the headlamp switch.

2.) I replaced the wires and ground lugs attached to the harness.

3.) Made a heat sink from copper tubing to be mounted under the R/R.

4.) I acid dipped and flowed solder into all of the fuse box crimps.

5.) Added a ring lug to the R/R ground frame mounting that connection.

6.) Made a ground wire to strap directly from the R/R frame mounted ground to the Battery (-)

7.) Made a ground wire to strap directly from the solenoid to the R/R frame mounted ground.

8.) I DID NOT CHANGE THE R/R and I DID NOT CHANGE THE STATOR.

Guess what complete charging function was restored with no more than 0.25V between R/R (+) and Battery (+) as well las between R/R(-) and Battery(-) as measured at 4000 RPM. The Battery voltage at 4000 RPM when to about 14.5 volts.

I verified this with a second OEM R/R from a parts bike with virtually identical results. Finally rather than temp fate, I swapped out the stator for an Electrosport model as the insulation is old and prone to shorting. There seemed to be a drop in the A/C output voltage under no load testing, but there was no significant change to the overall system charging function as I recall.

Here is the heat sink that is under the R/R. I used the EMI gasket material with heat sink grease to create a good thermal ground to the frame by bolting the curved sections to the frame section directly above the R/R.

EDIT: I was a little inconsistent and changed the ground some; Here is a final configuration:

By picking one of the R/R mounting bolts as the single point ground point, the R/R(-) wire can be very short, the mounting plate is automatically grounded and all of the return current wires can be tied securely together at a single point. Here are the connections
    • #1: Ground R/R(-) to case and side plate
    • #2: The shortest wire to a frame bolt
    • #3: The shortest wire to the Battery (-)
    • #4: Connects to the (B/W) harness negative ring lugs (typically the one attached at the solenoid mounting bolt). You can leave the other harness ground ring lug (B/W) where it normally is picking up the battery box ground.

Here is a matching picture on a GS750EX, it will work well for most all E's at least. The layout may be a little different on the G's and L's but the ideas will be the same.

So what is the moral of this story?

There is a FUNDAMENTAL and LATENT design defect in the overall GS charging system, that allows perfectly functioning components to smoke the harness even with a properly functioning fuse box. I call it a design defect because overall the system was subjected to connection degradation alone and it caused the destructive behavior without having any defective (i.e. broken) parts.

My assessment of what happened in that:

a.) high current flowed from ring lug to ring lug.
    b.) The current did not pass through the battery as the battery is fused at the + terminal
    c.) The ground current is related to a stator current flows.

My assessment of how it happened is incomplete:

a.) We know that there is nothing preventing or limiting current flows in the stator or inside of the R/R.

b.) There are only two possibilities for the direction of the ground flow which are:
    i.) the R/R ground sourced current.
    This would be very unusual unless the one of the stator connections were so bad that there was an alternate lower signal path to complete the 3 phase stator current paths.
    ii.) The R/R ground sunk current.
    This is the normal operation, but that current flow is not from the GS load.

The above analysis supposes that the schematics provided in the Suzuki manual are connect, however since we really don't know what is inside of the OEM R/R's there could be something else going on.

The discovery of these burnt wires has spurred me to try and determine a mechanism for the current flow. The best I can figure is to make sure that your grounds are good and possibly get away from the OEM R/R. I'm moving to FET based versions as then are both newer and more efficient. With the FET design the FET control is separated from the power device, and so this is fundamentally different to the other shunt regulator devices from a circuit topology standpoint. This is maybe additional benefit of the FET devices.

Pos
    Last edited by posplayr; 03-22-2015, 04:45 PM.

Thank you for taking the time to explore the charging issues and give us all something intelligent and important to consider.

As for heretics, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink!

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Pos,
      at anytime did you do anything with the negative battery cable where it attaches to the engine, such as clean the "engine side" negative cable attaching point and then reconnect it, or was it left alone "at the time you did this repair"?
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Ding Ding

Round 2
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's a discussion forum, there should be no need for a round two, don't you think?

Comment

It was all in good humour. Or bad in this case.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Rusty

Bill is just joshing we have had bad "bad ground" jokes all weekend at Julian .

I was continuing that with the HP grounding title

I'm pretty sure I did not touch the motor ground. I was going through starter clutch issues but I'm pretty sure that all happened after as the date of the pics was 12/24/07 as previously mentioned. I think I got my license on the 20th.

The GS750EX is stock with an airbox so, it is a little more trouble to get to the top of the battery to see how it is connected now. I suspect that other than the 8 AWG ground strap, that R/R(-) connection is the only thing on the negative side.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Bill is just joshing we have had bad "bad ground" jokes all weekend at Julian .
                Is he the guy with the 8V motor?

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                I'm pretty sure I did not touch the motor ground. I was going through starter clutch issues but I'm pretty sure that all happened after as the date of the pics was 12/24/07 as previously mentioned. I think I got my license on the 20th.

Jim
                Thanks Jim. just trying to eliminate the starter current as a possible reason for the "smoked" wires.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Is he the guy with the 8V motor?

Thanks Jim. just trying to eliminate the starter current as a possible reason for the "smoked" wires.
                  I also have a really cool Chrome Kerker oil cooler thanks to guy who drives rusty Fords.

Comment

First, big thanks to posplayr for the clear description and explanatory photographs . . . this seems to me a solid remedy for the electrical deficiencies common to old machinery . . .

. . . which deficiencies I'm now addressing in my 1978 GS1000. Unfortunately, my electrical knowledge is similarly deficient, so I've gotta few questions on adapting the system of grounding described here to my bike.

First, I've got a five-wire Electrosport R/R. Right now, three yellow wires connect to the stator output leads, one black ground wire to the negative terminal of the battery, one red wire connected to an inline fuse and then to the positive terminal of the battery.

Here's my questions:

a) Since there is a ground wire issuing from the inside of the R/R and going directly to the negative terminal of the battery, which is in turn has ground straps to both the motor and the frame, what is the advantage of having an additional ground wire from the R/R fastener to the frame?

b) I've seen reference in several threads to the R/R negative terminal. Am I correct in stating that the R/R negative terminal is either of the screws that fasten the R/R to the electrical panel?

I'm sure the answers to these will raise further questions, so I'm going to clean the corroded connections in my brain with more coffee . . .
                    1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Comment

a) Redunancy in the grounds never hurts but it's not critically important. It's critical to make sure the R/R is properly grounded so the general recommendation is to run a ground over to the battery and use a second one on the frame.

b) The R/R is not grounded though the aluminum body, it's grounded through the ground wire lead.

Regarding the electrical panel, the fuse box is grounded to the panel, so grounding the panel well is a good idea for that reason, not necessarily for the R/R.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would still run a jumper from your grounds at the R/R to the battery, if you have not. (Didn't see one).

I would also use soldered connections at the stator connectors rather than replace the terminals.

Its pretty amazing how often you can resurect a bad charging system without changing a ststor or changing an R/R.

Good job
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by jskellington View Post
                          First, big thanks to posplayr for the clear description and explanatory photographs . . . this seems to me a solid remedy for the electrical deficiencies common to old machinery . . .

. . . which deficiencies I'm now addressing in my 1978 GS1000. Unfortunately, my electrical knowledge is similarly deficient, so I've gotta few questions on adapting the system of grounding described here to my bike.

First, I've got a five-wire Electrosport R/R. Right now, three yellow wires connect to the stator output leads, one black ground wire to the negative terminal of the battery, one red wire connected to an inline fuse and then to the positive terminal of the battery.

Here's my questions:

a) Since there is a ground wire issuing from the inside of the R/R and going directly to the negative terminal of the battery, which is in turn has ground straps to both the motor and the frame, what is the advantage of having an additional ground wire from the R/R fastener to the frame?

b) I've seen reference in several threads to the R/R negative terminal. Am I correct in stating that the R/R negative terminal is either of the screws that fasten the R/R to the electrical panel?

I'm sure the answers to these will raise further questions, so I'm going to clean the corroded connections in my brain with more coffee . . .
                          Thanks for the complements. Most of the above was covered in the analysis. I will restate the answers as succinctly as possible.

a.) what is the advantage of having an additional ground wire from the R/R fastener to the frame?

In an ideal world, where all grounds and connections are ideal (i.e. zero ohms) then it would not matter. However with the every degrading grounds of the typical GS this is hardly the case. If you consider every wire and connection as potential resistance then the choice of connections and current paths becomes most important.

The shunt type GS R/R has two primary parallel loads
                          1.) the battery and
                          2.) the electrical system loads (coils, lights, blinkers, switches,etc...).

In order to charge the battery accurately, the R/R needs to be attached with low impedance in shunt to the battery. If there is even small resistance, it causes large errors in the R/R remote sense of the battery voltage. There is typically 2 amps battery charging current and 10 amps to the electrical system for a total of 12 amps.

With 12 amps of total current, flowing through 0.1 ohms of connector resistance between the R/R and the battery then there would be a 1.2V difference between voltage across the battery and the R/R. So if the R/R was charging nominally at 14.5 volts, you would only see 13.3V at the battery.

We see then that something as small as 0.1ohms of resistance in all the connections between R/R (+) to the fuse box, to the battery, and back to the R/R (-) all adding up to only 0.1ohms results in a full 1.2V charging error.

If you reread my prior analysis, you will see that all R/R charging currents have to return to R/R (-). By separating the current returns (in a classic single point ground strategy), the current flow between the R/R to battery connections only has to carry the battery charging currents. That means it is only carrying 2-3 amps instead of 12-13 amps.

For our example above, 3 amps through 0.1 ohms is 0.3V drop and 14.5V at the R/R yields 14.2V at the battery. This is significantly better charging performance and much easier to maintain due to the fewer connections between battery and R/R.

Suzuki did not even have a wire direct from battery to R/R(-); this is the accepted remedy for improving GS charging at GSR. While I recommend the same, the world is more complicated than that which I tried to describe in this analysis. In addition by adding the frame ground you are pulling currents away from the R/R(-) to battery connection and improving regulation.

Am I correct in stating that the R/R negative terminal is either of the screws that fasten the R/R to the electrical panel?

I'm not sure what a negative terminal is? I have refereed to grounding the case of the R/R. This is for two reasons.

a.) In establishing a single point ground design approach, the R/R mounting bolt seems to be the most useful point for bringing all of the current returns together.

b.) The typical power electronics package with heat sink mount is common with the electrical ground of the device. So depending upon the R/R and the choice of components, the R/R(-) maybe common with it's case. If it is then it is an excellent opportunity to reduce resistance.

As an FYI, when I did checked an old 1980 GS750E R/R I noted slightly improved regulation by grounding the case so I have taken to recommending this approach.

After studying the thread some more, you will probably also come to realize why that inline fuse is a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            a) Redunancy in the grounds never hurts but it's not critically important. It's critical to make sure the R/R is properly grounded so the general recommendation is to run a ground over to the battery and use a second one on the frame.

b) The R/R is not grounded though the aluminum body, it's grounded through the ground wire lead.

Regarding the electrical panel, the fuse box is grounded to the panel, so grounding the panel well is a good idea for that reason, not necessarily for the R/R.
                            Ed,
                            The proposed approach is not so much for redundancy as for separation of current flows ala "single point grounding". Here is a reference that provides some introductory background information.

In effect the ground point is the physical location in the circuit that has the lowest DC voltage (ignoring the stator and R/R internals).

See my comments on case common grounds for power device packages.
                            Jim
                            Last edited by posplayr; 11-08-2009, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                              I would still run a jumper from your grounds at the R/R to the battery, if you have not. (Didn't see one).

I would also use soldered connections at the stator connectors rather than replace the terminals.

Its pretty amazing how often you can resurect a bad charging system without changing a ststor or changing an R/R.

Good job
                              When I first got my 81 GS750E, it had:
                              • boiled over the battery with 16-17V charging
                              • Had fried the 2 ring lug ground wires (all the insulation was charred)

By doing proper fuse box connections and grounding I restored completely proper operation without changing any components.

That lead me on the question to identify all failure modes associated with bad connections and finally this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X