Tail of the Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tail of the Dragon

I just read the top 5 scariest drives in America. 318 curves, hairpins and switchbacks in 11 miles. Has anyone done the tail of the dragon (rt 129 from NC to TN in the Smoky's)? I'm in that area in late May and thinking about doing it.

YES, I was there last October and strongly recommend going during the week. The place gets crazy with sportbikes and Law Enforcemnt on weekends. It is a ride worth taking.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I'll give you my answer when I get back in mid June

Comment

Looks like a fantastic place to ride & would love to hear some feedback from you guys. I quite often visit http://killboy.blogspot.com/ and check out some of his great pics of who rides/drives it.

Comment

Idiot magnet

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
          I just read the top 5 scariest drives in America. 318 curves, hairpins and switchbacks in 11 miles. Has anyone done the tail of the dragon (rt 129 from NC to TN in the Smoky's)? I'm in that area in late May and thinking about doing it.
          Scary because it's an idiot magnet.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Just another winding road with too many idiots and cops. Who cares?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Me and my girlfriend rode it last October on our way back from Vegas. It was awesome ! We must have hit it at just the right time , just before sunset , because there were maybe 5-6 other bikes and a couple of cars on the dragon at this time so we were able to ride the thing pretty much without any traffic. From what I hear about the dragon that was a very, very rare event. I'll probably do it again this year, but I doubt that it be as enjoyable as that wonderful evening last October. Cheers
              Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2009, 12:07 PM. Reason: Bad grammar

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                I think "winding" doesn't give 129 proper credit.

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I live 30 miles from the dragon. It's quite beautiful, the only scary thing, are all the people coming at you like missiles!!

Comment

I too rode it last year in September when I was bringing home a Triumph I had just purchased in North Carolina. I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway from Ashville and it was beutiful. A friend from Georgia came up on his triumph and we had a great ride from Ashville to North GA. We went up and down the dragon twice trying not to end up on the "tree of shame". It was during the week and was not too busy. I hear there are a lot of idiots up there and the cops make it no fun. It is worth seeing but there are many other roads to find out in that area that are less busy.
                    1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

I have been down there 3 time in the last five years. I usually spend a few hours and run it a few times. It is quite an experience. every year I see a crash or drive by one anyhow. Run it slow the first time then pick up your pace if you feel comfortible. During the week in the AM is the best time, less Ricky roadracers, and fewer Harley parades.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        After 9:00 or 10:00 am, that's pretty much how it is.

But early in the morning before the idiots wake up and the cops get there, it's magical.

There are approximately 10,000 equally magical roads in those mountains. Let the idiots and Harley parades clog up the same 11 miles of road and enjoy the rest.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Today 02:19 PM bwringer After 9:00 or 10:00 am, that's pretty much how it is.

But early in the morning before the idiots wake up and the cops get there, it's magical.

I agree with Brian. I was there last year for the first time at the SE rally. Definately worth the 600 mile run to get there. Early morning or early evening are the best times although during the day there is a major league freak show at the gas station worth checking out. Lots of clown suits and racer wannabees. You do have to be very careful since there is a lack of skills and courtesy displayed by lots of the people there. I did almost get picked off by a Ricky Racer type launching out of a blind corner over the yellow line and into my lane. I also got behind a guy in a full dresser that would not let me "play through" and he ended up crossing the center line on about 1/3 of the blind corners. I followed him at a VERY safe distance so I would not get hit by the bike parts when he got mashed by another bike or a car. Fortunately for him he did not get hit but you have to be very careful when going through it to allow for the "moron factor". Run it early and late, there are a ton of other great roads in the area to play on during the day.
                          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I was there 2yrs ago and had a blast. There were 12 of us that rode down from MI. and did the dragon. Like everyone says do it in the AM. Less fools on the road. Ran into one semi truck He obviously was lost. Good thing he had a short trailer. Lots of crotch rockets in the afternoon. We also road the Skyway and that was awsome also. Plan on going back this fall for another tour. There are so many great rides to do in this area besides the Dragon. Camping is cheap and the people are real friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

There are approximately 10,000 equally magical roads in those mountains. Let the idiots and Harley parades clog up the same 11 miles of road and enjoy the rest.

I like it that way. Put the crazies all in one little 11 mile patch and leave the rest of the state for me. Works for me. LOL There are too many other great roads I would ride before enduring the parades and ricky racers on that small stretch.

Earl
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X