Greetings from Elkins WV!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Elkins WV!!

TCK checking in from Elkins West Va. Just got in a couple of hours ago, and got settled in. I rode down with Steve (fellow GSR) and his wife Bonita (she has an 850L and Steve has a Wing) for a 'Wing rally they have here every year. I came last year on a whim because I missed out on BC, and this was the weekend after, and Steve said I would enjoy it, even if they WERE a bunch of Wingers Truth is, last year, I saw some of these guys haul ass on their road barges. Anyway, this is my second year down here, simply cant be beat for the roads. We took off this morning from Dayton, Ohio, and rode straight thru to Galapolis, ate lunch and then over the boarder (the boarder being the Ohio River) and jumped on to WV RT33. It was here that i skipped out around Steve and Bonita and shot off into the distance. I remembered taking this route down last year, and BOY is it fun. Last year, not knowing the road at all, I stuck behind Steve's Wing. Even pulling a trailer, he rode briskly enough to keep me entertained. This year however, since i'd seen the road once before, I decided that I would like to get out and press a little bit. So, I did. 33 is chock FULL of 4th gear 6K RPM sweepers, 3rd gear 6K rpm sweepers, 2nd gear red line downhill switch backs..etc etc.. Its basicly a corner carvers playground. Probably not quite as aggressive as the Tail of the Dragon, but i would say its pretty damn challenging, and goes for about 130 miles like that too. Gotta stay sharp, just when you get caught up in those fun high speed sweepers, some 20mph hairpins will jump up with little warning. Needless to say, after 130 miles of such excrutiating joy, and a 340 mile total day, Im a little tired. But, tomorrow and Sunday will be full of more of these type of roads, including a "Special" southern route that includes 13 (THIRTEEN!!!) mountains to climb and descend. Im STOKED!

Will report in more tomorrow, but for now, signing off from WV, where this years motto is "DEALS GAP??? TRY WEST VIRGINIA, 11 MILES OF STRAIGHTS, 318,000 CURVES!!"
    Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2009, 08:48 PM.

Pictures, where are the Pictures

Comment

TCK,

Sounds great.

I visitied there in Elkins years ago, when we were first married. Before I had my first mo'cycle. But I rememeber seeing lots of mo'cycles. And I remember thinking that these guys were not there for the scenerey but because the road was dangerous and taking chances of running off the road. (again, this was before Ihad a bike).

Is this anywhere close to where the simi-annaul GSR rally is? Suppose I could figure that out myself. I would like to go. Seems quite enjoyable.

ANd yah, Pictures, we want pictures (but dont intrupt your riding too much).

Last edited by Redman; 05-23-2009, 09:00 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hey, y'all are in my territory! Next time you come east toward wild, wonderful, West Virginny, let me know.

Nick Diaz
        Middletown, MD

Comment

Originally posted by pntrdave View Post
          Pictures, where are the Pictures
          OK, OK, here are some pictures that Steve's wife took with their camera:

Me on one of the scenic overlook stops.

Heading up one of the passes.

Headed off through the trees.

Just to show you how well-planned things are around here.

(more to come)

Comment

They have some seriously steep hills around here.

Finally, some curve shots.

WARNING, WARNING !!! Good tires, good suspension, good roads can lead to a hotfoot! Did this in a nice right-hander.

Comment

Just for a little fun, the GoldWing chapter in Elkins that is showing us around even had some t-shirts printed.

Comment

Looks like Fun Keep the pictures coming!!!

Comment

Working...
                X