Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Am Spyder vs Harley Streetglide for Coast of Maine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Am Spyder vs Harley Streetglide for Coast of Maine?

I'm posting this here because ultimately it is about deciding the right ride for this route/destination...

Can Am Spyder vs Harley Streetglide:

You know, you can rent either of these puppies. But can you choose? Can you choose which one to take for your first annual two day tour through the coastal fishing towns of midcoast Maine while your GS dreamcicle is still in pieces in the garage?

I test drove the Can Am Spyder today - one with a 5 speed not the automatic. I was a very different experience - combination wave runner/snowmobile/sport bike. As the reviews said this "reverse trike" 3 wheeler doesn't really lean, although shifting your body weight slightly does feel a bit necessary in tight cornering.

I put this thing through its paces for about 15 - 20 min and in that short time developed a wrist cramp (unexercised clutch hand possibly) and my hips were a little sore from sitting in the sport bike position on this machine, which is undoubtedly wider in the seat than most crotch rockets. Maybe it's because of that extra width - maybe I'm just old now.

It does feel like a standard street race bike, though, in the way that it pulls away from the stop light. I didn't have enough open road or enough gall to get it to higher gears. Its traction control and antiroll systems prevented any real donuts and fishtails (slight bummer) and added to the overall feeling of stability. As expressed by the salesdude, the bike will throw you before tipping over - kinda like that mechanical bull at your local western bar.

"The vehicle also features ABS, traction control, stability control with roll-over mitigation, and a dynamic power steering system." And its even got reverse!

Even before getting into second gear I had the claustrophobic need to stretch my legs out (have I told you that I'm old?), but no can do - there is no place to put your feet forward and recline abit. Don't get me wrong, though, I enjoyed it very much - thus my decision dilemma.

It's obvious to me why they call it the Spyder - There's the wide reaching control one feels about the front wheels being splayed out like spider appendages and gripping the pavement. Laying forward a bit and much lower to the ground then on the standard sport/cruiser bikes the rider feels able to move around and switch direction at a moments notice. In retrospect, now, I think I felt that I could almost climb the walls with the thing. While gliding on a big cruiser bike might feel like flying, this feels like buggyrolling with propultion or Parkour on wheels. And it certainly gets attention - there was one overwhelmingly interested, rubbernecking, onlooker. Big deal though; he was even older than I am.

Speaking of hip replacement surgery - the 09 Harley Davidson Streeglide is my other choice for this years weekend solo getaway - I've never been on one except to size it up in the show room. I'm sure that it's comfortable and has plenty of power and a great sound system. But, not having much experience with an 800 lb bike I'm a little apprehensive when thinking about those small tight spaces in tourist town. Bumpy and hilly parking lots, sand covered intersections, Sunday drivers and whatnot. If I drop it I have to buy it right? Hmmm...

I'll be touring as many hours as I can in the hope to squeeze the max fun out of which ever vehicle I choose to "date". Some of those miles may be highway (4 lane) but most will be the two lane stretch of road which connects all of these character laden New England villages; Rt 1 with all of it's shopping traffic, Rt 129 and rt 130 which are winding 45 to 55 mph yellow lined courses, and of course the narrow suburb-like lanes which make up the matrix of my childhood summertime stomping grounds.

In that this is actually a reflection tour I'm concerned that motorcycling could interfere with my sightseeing and soulsearching (and vise-versa) and lets face it daydreaming is just more saferer in a car like thing than on a bike - oh admit it you don't pay half as much attention when you're in your econo box as you do when you carving curves on your two wheeler.

Thoughts?
    Thanks, JC
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2009, 10:26 AM. Reason: Shplellig

Hmm... The Spyder would be way better for the "Oooh-Aaaah" factor, but the Harley will most likely be way more comfortable...

Comment

I have never cared for HD, but in this case I would go with one..

Comment

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
        I'm posting this here because ultimately it is about deciding the right ride for this route/destination...

Can Am Spyder vs Harley Streetglide:

You know, you can rent either of these puppies. But can you choose? Can you choose which one to take for your first annual two day tour through the coastal fishing towns of midcoast Maine while your GS dreamcicle is still in pieces in the garage?

I test drove the Can Am Spyder today - one with a 5 speed not the automatic. I was a very different experience - combination wave runner/snowmobile/sport bike. As the reviews said this "reverse trike" 3 wheeler doesn't really lean, although shifting your body weight slightly does feel a bit necessary in tight cornering.

I put this thing through its paces for about 15 - 20 min and in that short time developed a wrist cramp (unexercised clutch hand possibly) and my hips were a little sore from sitting in the sport bike position on this machine, which is undoubtedly wider in the seat than most crotch rockets. Maybe it's because of that extra width - maybe I'm just old now.

It does feel like a standard street race bike, though, in the way that it pulls away from the stop light. I didn't have enough open road or enough gall to get it to higher gears. Its traction control and antiroll systems prevented any real donuts and fishtails (slight bummer) and added to the overall feeling of stability. As expressed by the salesdude, the bike will throw you before tipping over - kinda like that mechanical bull at your local western bar.

"The vehicle also features ABS, traction control, stability control with roll-over mitigation, and a dynamic power steering system." And its even got reverse!

Even before getting into second gear I had the claustrophobic need to stretch my legs out (have I told you that I'm old?), but no can do - there is no place to put your feet forward and recline abit. Don't get me wrong, though, I enjoyed it very much - thus my decision dilemma.

It's obvious to me why they call it the Spyder - There's the wide reaching control one feels about the front wheels being splayed out like spider appendages and gripping the pavement. Laying forward a bit and much lower to the ground then on the standard sport/cruiser bikes the rider feels able to move around and switch direction at a moments notice. In retrospect, now, I think I felt that I could almost climb the walls with the thing. While gliding on a big cruiser bike might feel like flying, this feels like buggyrolling with propultion or Parkour on wheels. And it certainly gets attention - there was one overwhelmingly interested, rubbernecking, onlooker. Big deal though; he was even older than I am.

Speaking of hip replacement surgery - the 09 Harley Davidson Streeglide is my other choice for this years weekend solo getaway - I've never been on one except to size it up in the show room. I'm sure that it's comfortable and has plenty of power and a great sound system. But, not having much experience with an 800 lb bike I'm a little apprehensive when thinking about those small tight spaces in tourist town. Bumpy and hilly parking lots, sand covered intersections, Sunday drivers and whatnot. If I drop it I have to buy it right? Hmmm...

I'll be touring as many hours as I can in the hope to squeeze the max fun out of which ever vehicle I choose to "date". Some of those miles may be highway (4 lane) but most will be the two lane stretch of road which connects all of these character laden New England villages; Rt 1 with all of it's shopping traffic, Rt 129 and rt 130 which are winding 45 to 55 mph yellow lined courses, and of course the narrow suburb-like lanes which make up the matrix of my childhood summertime stomping grounds.

In that this is actually a reflection tour I'm concerned that motorcycling could interfere with my sightseeing and soulsearching (and vise-versa) and lets face it daydreaming is just more saferer in a car like thing than on a bike - oh admit it you don't pay half as much attention when you're in your econo box as you do when you carving curves on your two wheeler.

Thoughts?
        Thanks, JC
        I've ridden both.

TRUST ME on this one, rent the Spyder ! Those things are a BLAST to pilot !

Comment

Where can you rent a spyder!!!!!!!!!!!!Will the fools rent it to ME!?/!?

Comment

humm

humm spyder or a HD WELL... WHAT TO DO,,,

I WOULD SAY take the spyder. that way you has some fun!
            let that old HD sit and rust. they make great paper weights you know..
            all that money people spend on HD and no HP when will HD pack some power in to the big over priced hunk of slow steel?

Comment

So much of the Maine coast is like a parking lot in the summer. I would take the HD.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

They obviously have two very different stances... which do you prefer?
                If I'm stuck on a congested highway, do I want a trike or not?
                Which one is not going to overheat on me?

I'd take two ibuprofen and the Spyder.

Comment

lol

I'd take two ibuprofen and the Spyder.

great way to put it.. lol

Don't fall for the HD hype.. HD'S SUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    So much of the Maine coast is like a parking lot in the summer. I would take the HD.
                    That's why you take the back roads and stay off Rte.1
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Personally, I would take the HD, if it has to be two wheels. But that is just me. I'd love to ride a Spyder some day, it would be fun for a day, but I think it would get old quick. I ride a snowmobile all winter long, so I don't need to go there. Some rental places have Mustang convertables, I'd entertain that option before a Spyder, but that is just me. Think of all the Maine potatoes and whoopie pies (the official state food, NOT lobsters) you can fit in a convertable to take home!
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Take the Spyder and a different road, leave the tourist roads for the clowns on the Harelys.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You're right. That is why I take the back roads. But he states in the title of this thread that he is riding the "Coast of Maine", which I have done countless times. One cannott run the coast and avoid Rt 1 traffic.

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
                          That's why you take the back roads and stay off Rte.1
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I chose the Harley. - and it sucked.

It sucked giving it back , I mean.

It only had 3 miles on it and it matched my truck perfectly.

The main imputus for my decision was proximity to the destination-
                            = less highway time and more time on the curveys,- but I was also largely influenced by Max.

Max Leanangle that is.

I can't seem to find a suitable map to show all of the best areas but here's where I focused on in the short time I had. http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Wiscasset&state=ME Rt 130, 129, 27, all in Wiscasset Bristol Pemaquid... all around Phippsburg and Parker Head, too. Basically all points northeast of Bath. Even Bath itself is kinda cool.
                            Past experiences tell me that Boothbay is not to be missed. And up norther along rt 1 is on my agenda for next trip. (Hope my 7-ten is done by then.) Suffices to say it's all good North of Portland.
                            And traffic? No-one around on an early monday morning thru early Tues morning - but it still preseason I guess. Word of advice for sunrise cruisers - bring your own coffee! Nothing but gas stations open till 7:am!

More shots and stories if interest is shown.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2009, 09:54 PM. Reason: is. I forgot the word is, ok?

Comment

I won't be buying one though - cause... well, you know.

Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X