Umm...Bad with routes!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umm...Bad with routes!!!

hey all, i'm trying to plan a ride from northern missouri all the way west to L.A. without hitting interstates. the thing is, my bike wont go past 60mph. maybe after some work it will but i wouldn't want to go on interstates and try to do 80. the damn thing maxx's out at 85. wouldnt want to put that kind of strain on the little thing. but back to my inquiry. is there any way to get from north missouri to L.A. without hitting the highspeed interstates? i hope so. if not i'm gonna have to sell the damn thing and get a car. i'd hate to have to do that so if there's anyone that can help please do. thanx a mill.

OK, what part of "northern Missouri"?

First thing to do is drop south to Nevada. Yes, south to Nevada. It's a town in Missouri on US 54, just west of US 71, it's about 85 miles south of Kansas City. Head west on US 54 for about 650 miles to Vaughn, NM, where you will pick up US 60. Take that for about 275 miles to just east of Show Low, AZ, where you will have to make a decision. You can continue west on 260, but you will end up in the mountains for a gorgeous ride (if your bike will make it), then head southwest out of Prescott, toward Vicksburg Junction, then 72 up to Parker, then 62 to Palm Springs. Once you get past Palm Springs, you will almost be forced to take freeways, that's all there is in SoCal.

Your other choice at Show Low will be to stay on 60, go through Phoenix, then hit the freeway for a few miles to Vicksburg Junction and follow the directions above.

Looking at about 1700 miles, plus your miles to Nevada.

I have done US 54 many, many times, it is still me preferred route if I am anywhere in the area. Also lots of history along the route, as you will go through Dodge City and many other familiar Old West towns.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Highway 50 to 395

Comment

Planned routes and interstates are for guys burdened with GoldenWangs. Toss the maps, head West, or at least head in the general direction you want to go. At every fork take the road with more corners in view. If you pass near Denver there's a few beers and a quart of oil here for you.
        Last edited by tkent02; 06-14-2009, 02:32 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Toss the maps.....
          No, maps are good. It's GPSs that suck.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I feel just a tiny bit envious, as I have long wanted to do that trip. I actually started it once, but only made it through to Oklahoma before other things interfered and I have not tried since then.

My travelling on a bike tends to be in one of two classes: enjoyable or quick, but both allow for route discretion and unplanned stops along the way and, perhaps curiously, I can enjoy my time on highways.

To me, picking a route and then having a tight schedule/fixed timetable tends to detract from the enjoyment as motorcycles and fixed timetables seem to have separate meanings. It also does not allow for minor mishaps, such as cables coming loose, burnt headlights, etc. You will also run into strange things that various alien beings create along the roadways specifically to deter you and your plans. They are called detours.

The longest quick trip I took was about 1400 miles, one-way, and I had a limited time frame for it, that being from Saturday afternoon until Sunday evening to reach destination. Highway running was essential but the detours meant I was frequently in unplanned areas and got to see some historical sites and other points that were of interest to me, so I took extra time to enjoy them.

Whatever route you plan, set a loose timetable based on maps and/ or GPS, but look for variables as well. Note, please, that Don is definitely right about the aberrations that are possible when relying entirely on GPS: Shirley's (Miss Fab) Dead-End rally certainly proved that for some of us. Allow an extra day or more on top of your travel time to permit you to take advantage of the opportunities that will surely present themselves to you.
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              OK, what part of "northern Missouri"?

First thing to do is drop south to Nevada. Yes, south to Nevada. It's a town in Missouri on US 54, just west of US 71, it's about 85 miles south of Kansas City. Head west on US 54 for about 650 miles to Vaughn, NM, where you will pick up US 60. Take that for about 275 miles to just east of Show Low, AZ, where you will have to make a decision. You can continue west on 260, but you will end up in the mountains for a gorgeous ride (if your bike will make it), then head southwest out of Prescott, toward Vicksburg Junction, then 72 up to Parker, then 62 to Palm Springs. Once you get past Palm Springs, you will almost be forced to take freeways, that's all there is in SoCal.

Your other choice at Show Low will be to stay on 60, go through Phoenix, then hit the freeway for a few miles to Vicksburg Junction and follow the directions above.

Looking at about 1700 miles, plus your miles to Nevada.

I have done US 54 many, many times, it is still me preferred route if I am anywhere in the area. Also lots of history along the route, as you will go through Dodge City and many other familiar Old West towns.

awsome, thank you. i'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and let everyone know i made it.

now the way back would basically be the same right?

Comment

Working...
              X