Magnusen's GS1000 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnusen's GS1000 rebuild

I’ve recently started rebuilding a ‘79 GS1000 and instead of creating my usual isolated posts, I thought I’d start an ongoing thread for the project. I’m laying it all out to share my successes and failures – hopefully sharing something useful for others along the way.

Here's a picture of the bike as received

Carbs

The first thing I did was pull the carbs for a good and proper rebuild. I didn’t take pictures at each stage so here’s a quick recap on the process.

Pulled
    Pictures taken for reassembly

(apology in advance - all pics will be crappy phone pics)

Carbs disassembled and pieces placed into egg cartons
    Broken parts fixed or replaced
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=140834
    Each carb dipped in Berrymans for 24hrs.
    Pic is post berrymans, pre soda-blast

Carb bodies soda blasted and boiled to remove residue
    Carb bodies soaked in iron phosphate to promote adhesion, rinsed, heated to 425 for one hour to expel gasses, wiped with acetone, hit with propane torch to kill any leftover lint, then taped and preheated to 250F and ready for powder coating (sounds worse than it is)

Carb Bodies Powder Coated with Caswell’s Black Cat Satin and baked at 400F for 15 minutes

Tops and bowls polished with sandpaper, dremel and home-made bench-top buffer up to white rouge.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2009, 11:11 AM.

Finished Carbs

Having never heard the bike run, I was happy when I threw these on and she fired up instantly.

More on the way---
    Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2009, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Hope the inside looks as good as the outside.
      Excellent job!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Looks great; I need to try the powder coater that I bought (Harbor Freight). What kinda oven did you get?

Comment

I did the h.f. gun as you can sorta see in the pic, but promptly did the recommended mods before even turning it on. I'll get a pic up. I do have a nice space cleared out in my garage for a refrigerator-turned-powder-coat oven, but haven't tackled that yet. All the parts were small enough that I just used a toaster oven. Worked great.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2009, 02:28 AM.

Comment

but promptly did the recommended mods before even turning it on.
            I guess I have been out of the loop and am definitely not PC literate; what are the recomods?

Comment

The H.F. gun mods are simple and seem to be recommended by many. The main idea is to move the powder hopper off the top of the gun to a seperate location. From what I've gathered, this improves the cloud and helps prevent spitting. What you want to do is run tubing to and from the gun to a seperate powder container - I used mason jars because of the storage convenience, tight seals, and availabilty. I'll get some pics to show you - the whole mod takes an hour. They also recommend you open the gun's airflow to the maximum position, and feather some of the molding from the gun's nozzle area and tips. In my case, I found it best to remove the tip altogther to get the powder directed forcefully enough to get into the tight spots. Here's a link where LeeGS550e gives some helpful info and sage powder advice

Also, www.caswellplating.com has a decent forum and you can search for more mod info.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2009, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Very nice, I even have a toaster oven.
                Have not done this as I was thinking I needed a big kitchen oven in the garage.

Off to H.F.!!!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If you're going to do these, one tool I found really handy was an old set of punches. You'll notice on the hanging carb all the circular pieces of tape to cover the various holes. These were a snap with the punches. I simply put a piece of the high-temp tape [from caswell] down on a rubber sheet, cut the sizes I needed, and then peeled them off with my fingers or an exacto knife. I also remade all new gaskets in an hour with the help of these.

Comment

Nice Work!
                    Let me know when I can stop by and drop mine off

Comment

So I just got my air filters from APE and was surprised to find that they are not oval but round-shaped. I know people prefer the oval shape because of the increased surface area and better flow, and generally stay away from the round shape.

These look nice, but the reason I spent $70 with APE was to stay away from the cheapo emgo-style filters.

These are going on the above VM26s. I was thinking of trying to return these and get the oval shaped ones - what should I do? Maybe the 26's don't need as much air?

Comment

I dont know for a fact, but I would bet that the APE product is still flowing MUCH better than the EMGO junk. The problem with the EMGOs actually lie in the screen material they use. On the 26's I dont think the round ones are a problem, I have used them with decent enough success, and frankly i think they look the part moreso than the ovals. APE doesnt sell junk, so I would personally stick with those.

Comment

Originally posted by smagnusen View Post
                          So I just got my air filters from APE and was surprised to find that they are not oval but round-shaped. I know people prefer the oval shape because of the increased surface area and better flow, and generally stay away from the round shape.

These look nice, but the reason I spent $70 with APE was to stay away from the cheapo emgo-style filters.

These are going on the above VM26s. I was thinking of trying to return these and get the oval shaped ones - what should I do? Maybe the 26's don't need as much air?

Those are the exact filters that were on my 83 when I bought it, only mine were by K&N. They worked just fine on the CV carbs anyway.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Okay thanks guys that's enough for me to give the pods a go. For anyone interested, here's some pics on my take of the HF powder gun mod:

The hopper that used to sit atop the gun is now a mason jar connected via vinyl tubing. I cut off the end of the pipe that's used to circulate the powder and transplated it to the jar. The connectors are simply air tool couplers, which, as it turns out, conveniently fit the tubing.

Not much to it - one tube pushes air into the jar and vluidizes it powder and the second takes the air powder mixture back to the gun. This frees up the gun to be held at any angle and makes for a more consistant and better shaped cloud.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Could we get a couple other angles on those pods? Particularly the interior and etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X