Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need my head examined (beware monster pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need my head examined (beware monster pics)

And maybe the pistons too. Pics:

Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Change the valve stem oil seals and have your guides checked.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

chef, you forgot, CLEAN THE HELL OUT OF THAT THING!

it's hard to say, do what chef sez clean everything up and repost some pics, sometimes these things look worse then they are.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Reinstall head and spray water into the intake

Too much trouble ? OK get the wallnut shells out

Comment

Rather extreme resolution on the new camera (Canon SX 110 IS). These are cropped even!

The pic of #1 piston looks like it's covered in solder, but that's the camera flash on the black junk on top of the piston. #4 has noticeably more gunk on it than the others. #3 is a bit worse than 1 and 2. You can see the #4 valves are dark too. On the #2 exhaust valve especially, you can see some kind of build-up on the face of the valve.

I have not exhaustively examined the rings, but I don't see anything that looks like damage. The cylinders are filthy with fragments of gasket just now, but I see no evidence of uneven wear, scratches, etc.

So then, experienced folk, see anything here that is cause for concern and correction while I'm getting threads repaired in the head (and replacing valve seals)? Josh, is there anything I can do to it other than getting the thread repair before I bring it up?
          Dogma
          --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Nice photos!

Have fun cleaning that head; you might want to take it to a shop and let them dunk it in a hot tank.

Once you have the valve springs off you can check the valve guides and valves for excessive clearance by doing the wobble test. The exhausts tend to wear more than the intakes; if the clearance is good you shouldn't feel very much lateral play. Also, look at the valve seats; they should not have any pitting and the width of the seat should be checked against the spec. Good luck.
            Last edited by Nessism; 06-24-2009, 01:15 AM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Criminy guys! Answers before I get the questions composed?
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                chef, you forgot, CLEAN THE HELL OUT OF THAT THING!

it's hard to say, do what chef sez clean everything up and repost some pics, sometimes these things look worse then they are.
                Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Reinstall head and spray water into the intake

Too much trouble ? OK get the wallnut shells out
                Walnut shells eh? I was thinking maybe a Brillo pad or some steel wool and degreaser instead. I like Ed's idea best. Let the shop do it, so long as I won't have to repaint it.
                Last edited by Dogma; 06-24-2009, 01:16 AM.
                Dogma
                --

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  Rather extreme resolution on the new camera (Canon SX 110 IS). These are cropped even!
                  You using Photobucket? I don't remember where I found the settings, but I have all pictures that I put in Photobucket automatically re-sized to 800x600. Not only does it save space on their site, it shows pictures here in a comfortable size. Given the resolution of most monitors, you will not see any degradation of picture quality.

Example:

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Now for some Harbor Freight spot media blasting (walnut shells)

Looks pretty good but I still have to get the valves out and do under the valves.

Worked great cleaning out the exhaust runners as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      Walnut shells eh? I was thinking maybe a Brillo pad or some steel wool and degreaser instead. I like Ed's idea best. Let the shop do it, so long as I won't have to repaint it.
                      Carb dip eats off carbon nicely. If you can find a tall 5 gallon pail with lid, you can drop the head inside along with some carb dip. Shake pail every so often to distribute the dip onto the surface of the head. I used this procedure and the head came out nice and clean after a couple of days soaking.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        You using Photobucket? I don't remember where I found the settings, but I have all pictures that I put in Photobucket automatically re-sized to 800x600. Not only does it save space on their site, it shows pictures here in a comfortable size. Given the resolution of most monitors, you will not see any degradation of picture quality.

Example:

I really don't know what I should be looking for in here, so I thought it best to show the full resolution. I hope they don't give you a headache or anything.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Yeah....Valve seals....All can be done my brutha...but I suggest you get to cleaning up that head. You have some digi calipers? Gonna need to check those rings. Im a lil worried bout that. But it LOOKS (and im a shade tree mechanic mind you) like most of the problem stems from the valve seals (and hopefully NOT the stems) as the piston heads are oiled up pretty bad and its washed out over the sides above the compression ring. honestly Im a bit surprised. I havent ever seen that thing smoke. But, ive also never really paid all that much attention to it either. Its a bit worse looking than i expected..but nothing we cant take care of. Might take us more than one day perhaps now though.

Comment

So, was the motor burning oil?
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I need to go to a drive in theater to see those pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X