X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calgary to the Kootenays - Return Trip

Calgary, AB to Trail, BC and back.
    July 2009
    Route: Highway 22 south to Highway 3 west.
    Just over 600km one way.
    I would have liked to explore the Koots backroads more, but was there visiting friends instead. Maybe next time I'll get more time in the saddle there.

Public Facebook Album

That's the way I always went when I was living in Edmonton for school, 22 is soooooo much better than 2.

Comment

the kootenays

i just got back from the kootenays. Day 1: left luseland saskatchewan - red deer - airdrie - cochrane - then #1 to Revelstoke - #23 to Nakusp.

Day 2: took the #6 west. had an excellent eggs bennie at the mushroom resteraunt just before the ferry. rode the 6 to Vernon and back to Nakusp. then took the #6 east to New Denver. then the 31A to Kaslo. From Kaslo i took the 31 to Balfour and rode the longest free ferry ride in north america from Balfour across Kootenay lake to Crawford Bay. From the ferry landing the 3A took me to Creston where i ate dinner and bedded down for the night.

Day 3: Rode the 3 east to Cranbrook. From there i took 93/95 to Radium Hot Springs. ate lunch while it rained and took the 95 up to Golden. Then it was the #1 back to Red Deer.

Day 4: a short ride from red deer back to good old luseland

I haven't done much travelling on my bike and i doubt if this is the BEST riding in the world but it was the best i have ever seen. By the end of day 2 i was finally getting used to my feet on the pegs and touching pavement. No police either. Didn't see one the entire trip which is a good thing as i completely ignored all posted limits. I know the 60 km/hr curves i was talking at 100 km/hr. the 30 and 20 km curves i was to busy trying to survive to even steal a peak at the speedo.

This was a trip i will never forget. I know now that its the reason i own a motorcycle. Everything from the free ferry rides to the plentiful curves to the beautiful scenery to the friendly people all came together to make it an overall excellent getaway. The food was good too and most places even carried pilsner beer. If it gets better than this i hope i get to experience it.

this is a pic from Kaslo looking out over Kootenay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by mcneilk View Post
        i just got back from the kootenays. Day 1: left luseland saskatchewan - red deer - airdrie - cochrane - then #1 to Revelstoke - #23 to Nakusp.

Day 2: took the #6 west. had an excellent eggs bennie at the mushroom resteraunt just before the ferry. rode the 6 to Vernon and back to Nakusp. then took the #6 east to New Denver. then the 31A to Kaslo. From Kaslo i took the 31 to Balfour and rode the longest free ferry ride in north america from Balfour across Kootenay lake to Crawford Bay. From the ferry landing the 3A took me to Creston where i ate dinner and bedded down for the night.

Day 3: Rode the 3 east to Cranbrook. From there i took 93/95 to Radium Hot Springs. ate lunch while it rained and took the 95 up to Golden. Then it was the #1 back to Red Deer.

Day 4: a short ride from red deer back to good old luseland

I haven't done much travelling on my bike and i doubt if this is the BEST riding in the world but it was the best i have ever seen. By the end of day 2 i was finally getting used to my feet on the pegs and touching pavement. No police either. Didn't see one the entire trip which is a good thing as i completely ignored all posted limits. I know the 60 km/hr curves i was talking at 100 km/hr. the 30 and 20 km curves i was to busy trying to survive to even steal a peak at the speedo.

This was a trip i will never forget. I know now that its the reason i own a motorcycle. Everything from the free ferry rides to the plentiful curves to the beautiful scenery to the friendly people all came together to make it an overall excellent getaway. The food was good too and most places even carried pilsner beer. If it gets better than this i hope i get to experience it.

this is a pic from Kaslo looking out over Kootenay Lake.
        Having traveled many of these same roads and towns (red deer, #1, Radium, Golden) going from my brother's house in Calgary up to Canmore/Banff then over to Panorama I can tell you that's the most beautiful place I've ever been. The type of place you just sometimes pull over b/c you can't believe your eyes. Not much riding season but man when you do get to ride.......
        Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2009, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Glad you guys like the Koots. I came here in 1979 for a 2 year work assignment and never left. Had to quite my job to stay and have to say, out of all the stupid things I did when I was younger this wasn't one of them. Here a few photos I put on Flickr, I'll have to add some more when I get a chance. I have lots.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
            Glad you guys like the Koots. I came here in 1979 for a 2 year work assignment and never left. Had to quite my job to stay and have to say, out of all the stupid things I did when I was younger this wasn't one of them. Here a few photos I put on Flickr, I'll have to add some more when I get a chance. I have lots.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates5...7615056317027/
            Sandy I clickd on those photos and saw the winding road pick and clicked on it. As soon as it came up I thought "Man that looks just like the road to Panorama" and then I looked up and saw the title of the pic! Too funny; amazing how small the world is sometimes. On that road about a mile below Panorama I have great shots of a moose cow (It is considered a moose cow right?) that was just chillin' by the side of the road.What's the name of the town just below Panorama?

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
              What's the name of the town just below Panorama?
              I think it's Invermere, could be wrong though.

I love this part of the country, I have done most of it in car, but since this is my first season riding, have only done some of it on 2 wheels.

I keep waiting to get laid off, so I can do a decent road trip.

Comment

Yeah, that would be Invermere, the photo with the road signs is at the start of that road and I'm actually standing on the road taking the picture. So, how did you end up on a nice twisty dead road out in the middle of nowhere up here in the Kootenays??? I feel a sense of adventure here.

Sandy I clickd on those photos and saw the winding road pick and clicked on it. As soon as it came up I thought "Man that looks just like the road to Panorama" and then I looked up and saw the title of the pic! Too funny; amazing how small the world is sometimes. On that road about a mile below Panorama I have great shots of a moose cow (It is considered a moose cow right?) that was just chillin' by the side of the road.What's the name of the town just below Panorama?
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  Yeah, that would be Invermere, the photo with the road signs is at the start of that road and I'm actually standing on the road taking the picture. So, how did you end up on a nice twisty dead road out in the middle of nowhere up here in the Kootenays??? I feel a sense of adventure here.
                  My brother lives in Calgary and has a place in Panorama. I get up there usually once a year but not this year unfortunately. Will be up there next summer for sure. I absolutely love that area. If you love to play golf and fish as much as I do it's heaven up there in the summer. I've always said in a perfect life I would live in Dominical, Costa Rica in the winter and Canmore in the summer. Life would be GOOD.

We might have to hook up next summer. I would love to ride with someone who really knows the area.

Comment

My brother lives in Calgary and has a place in Panorama. I get up there usually once a year but not this year unfortunately. Will be up there next summer for sure. I absolutely love that area. If you love to play golf and fish as much as I do it's heaven up there in the summer. I've always said in a perfect life I would live in Dominical, Costa Rica in the winter and Canmore in the summer. Life would be GOOD.

We might have to hook up next summer. I would love to ride with someone who really knows the area.
                    i'm in for next summer i live in calgary and was in canal flats for a year and a half i love that area let me know when your gonna be here and i'll get some time off for a ride

Comment

Sounds like we could set up a ride through the Kootenays. I wonder who all would be game for that. I know there's a couple more members from Calgary.

Comment

Funny how small the world is indeed. I spent a bit of time in the east Kootenays in the past (Cranbrook/Invemere areas) but unfortunately hardly ever on a motorcycle.
                        I know what you folks are talking about when you talk about the "quality" of the roads within the southern interior of British Columbia. Like mcneilk I've ridden the Vernon/Nakusp road and taken the Needles ferry. Just a great place to ride.
                        I live just outside of Kelowna, BC and the roads aound the Okanagan are just asking to be ridden. Aside from the hideous heat wave and recent forest fires this is a great place to be.
                        In case anyone is interested a fella in Kamloops started a forum this spring that caters to older bikes in the province. You may want to take a look. There has been some activity on this local BC forum.
                        I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes by posting this address here............if I am, my apologies and I'll know better next time. www.bcclassicmotorcycleclub.com
                        I am thankful we have The GS Resources.

Comment

Man , I can't wait to get over your way.Still a ways off , but getting closer . Just on 2 years to go ( but who's counting ) . Cheers , Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

as good as it gets

The Koots are kind of the promised land for motorbiking in BC. I've been all over now - car and bike and the Koots is first pick if I've got 4 days.

Comment

Working...
                            X