Delaware, OH to Chillicothe, OH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delaware, OH to Chillicothe, OH

I'm a new rider. I live in Delaware and my parents live in Chillicothe. I want to ride down. In a cage I got down 71 to 23. But on a bike, I'm not touching rubber to 71 or 270.

What are my alternatives? I wouldn't mind 315 north of 270, but south of 270 scares me.

I could go directly down 23/high street but the traffic scares me.

Anyone know any good routes to detour Columbus?

Hi, I live in Columbus and have ridden up and down to Delaware several times, but I never took a ride down to Chillicothe. I usually took Riverside, which is route 33 to Delaware, It's a decent road even when you get into the heavier traffic of Columbus. You could take 36 west from Delaware till you get to 256, which is what Riverside is called up there I think, make a left - go down to Columbus.....

Looking at the map, a good alt to 23 looks like 104, it is practically parallel, but like I said I never tried it. Let me know how it is if you take this way. So you could just take Riverside all the way into downtown, then get on 23 south and take that several miles till you get to 104, which is Frank Road, make a right on it and it curves south after that.

- Brad

Comment

actually just taking 42 down to riverside from delaware works well

Comment

42 to London to 56 looks nice!

Comment

104 south of columbus is dangerous. There have been several fatal accidents from cars going left of center, passing in blind spots, etc. It's 2 lane, and there is lots of farm traffic on that stretch.

23 south of Columbus would be a fine ride I think. It's four lane, 55 mph pretty straight. It's just getting there from here that worries me. Riverside might not be too bad.

I'm just scared of other cars....

Comment

Well Mr. Ohioan, I'm a fairly new rider myself, only 1 year. Dealing with cars is something you will just have to learn to do at your own pace. You can't completely avoid them unless you get a dirtbike and stay off the pavement.

I just worked my way up, and after a couple months I got comfortable around cars and stuff. I still hate cars and I still don't like the freeway, but take it sometimes if I'm pressed for time.

I took route 62 all the way from Columbus to Youngstown - that was a really nice trip, just had to deal with some freeways and busy city streets around Canton, which could be avoided if you know the side roads around there I guess.

Rode out of Columbus to Coshocton last week, Broad st. downtown turns into route 16 and I didn't realize it was going to be all freeway there - that kind of stunk, but the way back was great. I caught route 83 down to New Concord (where John Glenn was born) - this stretch was great - hilly, twisty, I don't have much experience on these awesome roads, going out around southwest Ohio is something I really want to do more. From there I took route 40 back into Columbus, much better than 16.

If you want some nice rides in your neighborhood, I think there are plenty of country roads to ride on west of Delaware. The only thing is, that they are all pretty flat, ya know, compared to the hilly southwestern part of Ohio, still nice riding though. I've gone up 42 all the way to Mansfield and back to Columbus several times, it's ok and pretty fast but you still have semis on that road to deal with sometimes and other traffic. I've taken the trip to Marion the back way as well, that's pretty nice.

If you want a route way to the west of Columbus going to Chillicothe, maybe take 42 to London, then 56 from London, and pick up 207 from Mt. Sterling, which takes you to 104 or 23 just north of Chillicothe. A total Columbus bypass for some nice country riding it looks like!

- Brad

Comment

I'd rather bypass Columbus on the east side as I live between Ashley and Marengo.

I've been riding around my area a good bit, very little traffic, other than the occasional car and hog farm semi.

I work in Lewis Center and have ridden to work a couple times, take 3bs and K down to 36/37 to Old State to cheshire and down piatt to shanahan to North to Lewis Center Road to work.

Don't get off the highway too much in morrow county, unless you have a motard. those road get pretty rough.

Comment

Unless you want to really add mileage to your trip, you are going to hit lots of traffic. I would say 37 to johnstown, if you really want to bypass columbus east. There are options from there, but still you will hit traffic.

Just in reading this thread, I'm guessing that you are going to head to Chillicothe on a weekend? If you head down there, say, on a Saturday morning, you will hit very little traffic on 71. That would be my preferred route. 104 is actually a nice ride, despite the accidents you mention. Just have to pay attention and be visible.

I don't want to turn this into a new rider advice thread. Just take it easy, be visible and aware. Should actually be a nice ride. If you are going on a weekend that I'm free, I'd ride along.

Comment

Also, now that there are a couple of central Ohio folks, we will have to arrange a nice little jaunt thru Hocking hills before fall.

Comment

That's my goal! I know all the backroads down there.. I worked for Asplundh one summer spraying power lines in that area. I know all the backroads.

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT View Post
                      Also, now that there are a couple of central Ohio folks, we will have to arrange a nice little jaunt thru Hocking hills before fall.

That was my intent so count me in if you formalize something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioan View Post
                        That's my goal! I know all the backroads down there.. I worked for Asplundh one summer spraying power lines in that area. I know all the backroads.

Be creative then. Just rode 664 the other day, my new favorite road around here.

Anyway, you seem to know the roads you want to take, so just go for it. If you want some company, just let me know. I can ride with you down there and then I'll keep going while you visit. I've been meaning a trip down to the river, so this would give me an excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
                          That was my intent so count me in if you formalize something.
                          I've been known to be an instigator and not a trip leader. However, I'm sure we could come up with a nice loop.

edit: I started a thread in the Meeting place section!!!!
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X