Country road Hazards. #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country road Hazards. #1

How about blasting through the twisties in the country? No problem, are you scared? Are you skilled enough to handle it? Has anyone ever challenged you to keep up with them at a country road rally? If so you were listening to an idiot, and you better find somebody else to guide your group.
    I live in the country and I ride these roads every day, we know how to stay alive.
    I'm writing this for those who will listen, I want to show you what to expect on country roads.
    Just to say it up front these are the main hazards:
    • All the curves are blind.
    • Everybody straddles the double yellow lines when coming around those curves.
    • There's gravel spread over every corner.
    • Much of the pavement is bad.
    • Many of the roads are bumpy, (as if they drove the paving machine over a cow pasture).
    • Some drivers a drunk.
    • Many roads are being resurfaced with tar and stone, but the warning sign is placed after the new pavement begins.
    Samples:
    Loose Stone: I've seen this on blind corners, and at the bottom of a hill I was riding down at 60MPH!

What it is.

Easy to see the gravel covering the corner from this direction.

Hard to see the gravel from this approach, until you're on top of it.

See the next thread too. (4 image limit.)
    Bill
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-17-2009, 12:15 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Don't forget the assorted slow moving farm equipment and the occasonal stray cow, horse or pig. Heck, a wild Turkey would be tough to hit on a bike. I ride in the country a lot as well and you have to account for the various hazards that includes.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

lol, I "ALMOST" stopped last weekend and took a picture of a caution sign that I'd never seen before. It was on a less travelled State route. The Caution sign was just of a Cow. Nothing else, just a cow. No "Cattle Crossing", no "Watch for Cattle", just plain and simple a sign of a Cow!

On another road, near Athens, there are several caution signs that state "Caution, Land Slides". Thought I was in California for a minute.

Don't discount these roads, these are most memorable. Just use caution, cause you never know when a Cow is going to cause a Landslide. You won't want to miss it.....

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT View Post
        lol, I "ALMOST" stopped last weekend and took a picture of a caution sign that I'd never seen before. It was on a less travelled State route. The Caution sign was just of a Cow. Nothing else, just a cow. No "Cattle Crossing", no "Watch for Cattle", just plain and simple a sign of a Cow!

On another road, near Athens, there are several caution signs that state "Caution, Land Slides". Thought I was in California for a minute.

Don't discount these roads, these are most memorable. Just use caution, cause you never know when a Cow is going to cause a Landslide. You won't want to miss it.....

I couldnt agree with you more Dave. A herd of cows, sliding uncontrollably through a gravel intersection should not be taken lightly.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

B Bill;
          Thank you so much for taking the time to post these pictures & highlight some dangers. We could all use the reminders - or at least I sure could!! -- and the visuals you gave us are something any one of us could come upon & not recognize the dangers. I will take this opportunity to raise my caution level.
          Brightest Blessings

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            I couldnt agree with you more Dave. A herd of cows, sliding uncontrollably through a gravel intersection should not be taken lightly.

Earl
            Yeah, don't think you and I ever saw that, but we sure had some fun rides....... Getting lost and asking people: "What town is this?" Fun stuff.......

Comment

I live in Amish country. Nothing like leaning into a tight corner and having a whole lane covered in horse droppings. That kinda 'slide' really can get your heart racing!

Comment

I remember once with familly when we were kids. We came across a cow in the middle of the road late at night, I would guess my dad was probably doing 75-80 mph. It was in the middle of nowhere on an Indian reseveration in Arizona. We ended up on the other side of the road facing the direction we had come from

Comment

I'm familiar with that maneuver, sure beats the cow winding up inside the car with you.
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post

Earl
                    I never knew cows could slide around corners, I've never seen them leaning into it all that hard.

I have seen horses powersliding once or twice, their steel shoes don't get much traction on concrete. Usually they fall down right away.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Mucho Dinero!

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      I remember once with familly when we were kids. We came across a cow in the middle of the road late at night, I would guess my dad was probably doing 75-80 mph. It was in the middle of nowhere on an Indian reseveration in Arizona. We ended up on the other side of the road facing the direction we had come from
                      That same reservation (Navajo) turns its cows and horses loose every fall. If you are lucky enough to hit one, they turn into prize animals, worth thousands! It is called open range, you pay for the critter you hit, and of course your vehicle! This is how they can buy that flat screen TV and sattelite.....

Comment

Working...
                      X