Country road Hazards. #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country road Hazards. #4

This is cool, twisy ravine coming up, and the pavement looks good! 55MPH?

Oop! Can't see into the shadows you know! Bummer pavement!

Here's the next ravine, and I KNOW this pavement is good! 55 MPH again?

SH_T! Nobody put this in the paper!

I saw all this today, these are some of the best riding country roads in Berrien County Michigan.
    Take care of yourself, and think for yourself.
    Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

That's a lot of work to provide us some nice thinking points. You know the more I fool with this forum the better rider I become both in equipment PMs and the mental game of riding. Thanks for your efforts with these posts.
    Hondas
    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
    Suzuki
    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
    Kaw
    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Thats some good info there. And like they say a picture is worth a million words.
      And as far as gravel in a corner it can be very deceptive. Expseially at intersections. A couple of times I have had the rear end slip out on me a little bit. But luckly I haven't gone down from it.

Comment

Good Posts!!!!!

Good posts Bill. Your roads look a lot like our roads. I've had kids playing chicken with vehicles coming down the road out of their driveways, and some like to put sticks and pine cones in the road so cars can crunch them. Then, we have the tourist crowd from the Twin Cities that don't normally drive twisty lake roads doing 20-30 mph and braking on every curve, the speed demons with their pickups and 25' boats that are all over the road......

Comment

Excellent work Bill!

Those pictures really show how unpredictable road conditions can be. The photo of the gravel covered intersection from different directions is a good one. I have a lot of those around me. The gravel can be scary to stop on when you KNOW it is there.

Thanks for your effort on this. Good stuff to keep in mind while riding

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            This is cool, twisy ravine coming up, and the pavement looks good! 55MPH?

Bill

Naaaah, too many flags on that one. heheh I wouldnt be blasting through there. I may not be the brightest lantern in the forest, but I'm not that dim. LOL

Your idea for a thread is a great one. Pictures of what to look for and why, I think will help a lot of people's perspective. As often said, its what you dont see that will get you. You need to be aware of what you you're NOT seeing.

Earl
            Last edited by earlfor; 08-22-2009, 09:02 PM.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks Bill.

Nice photos. I especilly notice that you get off bike, walk back, so that the bike is in the frame to provide a good reference.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have posted this pic before. Around here from Mid August to Mid October you can top any rise and come up on one of these doing 10 mph or so.

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I should take some pics of the road out past my house that goes from fairly decent asphalt to gravel without warning or signage... First time I rode thru there I about crapped my pants. I was doing 45 when, fortunately, I saw the gravel section coming. It was early spring, so there were still thick, loose furrows of gravel in the center. Only two tire tracks, so if there was an oncoming vehicle, I'd have had to go into the fluffy stuff on the side. Good thing it went back to pavement after about a mile...

Comment

Is that a legal crop?

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                    I have posted this pic before. Around here from Mid August to Mid October you can top any rise and come up on one of these doing 10 mph or so.

Are those tobacco plants?
                    Bill
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Correct, ALL of the Dark Fired Tobacco in the country is grown in West KY, Northwest Tennessee and some in North Carolina. Dark Fired is cured over a smokey fire and is used for Snuff and Chewing Tobacco, The smell of a fired Tobacco barn is one of the first signs of Fall here.
                      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                      X