Moosehead...The long way around!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moosehead...The long way around!

Well, with the Moosehead Rally coming up in a couple of weeks, I thought I'd share my trip to get there. I managed to combine Labor Day weekend and some vacation time to wind up with 12 days off.

1. 9/3/09: After work, jump on the already packed bike and head for Victor,NY, about 125 miles from home(not much of a ride, but wanted to get out of town and pointed north) and stay with some friends(McFly74 & his wife)
    2. 9/4: Get an early start, slab it to Utica,NY and head for the southern Adirondacks, cross into VT and Crown Point and work my way across to North Woodstock, NH and stay at Maple Haven campground.
    3. 9/5: Hit the road early and run the Kancamagus Hwy and cross into Maine. Going to meet up with my ex in-laws for lunch in Augusta. Depending on time, possibly shoot to Owls Head for the classsic bike meet, then to Eastport for the night. Seaview campground.
    4. 9/6: Cross in NB,Canada early(before too much traffic) and make my way to Whycocomagh,Cape Breton, NS to the Glenview campground. I haven't decided what I'm actually going to do from here yet. Either stay here or a couple of days and do day trips or pack up and camp at Meat Cove for a night and end up back at Glenview for a night.
    5. 9/7-9/8: Cape Breton area.
    6. 9/9: Start heading for Moosehead, probably get somewhere in Maine(Bangor area?) and camp.
    7. 9/10: Arrive at the Moosehead Rally hopefully by mid afternoon. Hopefully my friends will arrive somewhere around the same time.
    8. 9/10-9/13: Moosehead type events.
    9. 9/14-9/15: work our way home.
    10. 9/16: Back to work

That's pretty much it. The days could change by an added day,won't know until the week of 9/1. The route is also subject to change, but I had to have some sort of a plan.

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Wow, Andy, sounds like an awesome trip. I can't wait to hear about it while sharing some beers around the camp fire.

Comment

what bike you taken? cant wait till moosehead its always a good time

Comment

Andy,
        I rode the Cabot Trail end of June.
        I did it in one day, in the rain--~2 inches and wind gusts to 80mph.

Meat Cove is a dirt road by the way about 7 miles of dirt by the way.

Ride out to Bay St. Lawrence, not a bad road and you are at the northern point.

Gas was about $1.20CA per liter, I put $21 in the Triumph most of the time. In Nova Scotia I put $28.......

If you stop in New Brunswick, around Fredericton area, try the Picaroons
        brews.......trust me on this

If you do blast across the Trans Canada, there was some construction in the Moncton area, grooved pavement, re-paving.

Therre's a great little hotel in Baddeck witha great Scottish pub.
        It overlooks Bras D'Or lake with all the eagles.

See you at Moosehead
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
          2. 9/4: Get an early start, slab it to Utica,NY and head for the southern Adirondacks, cross into VT and Crown Point and work my way across to North Woodstock, NH and stay at Maple Haven campground.
          You aren't going to be far from Port Henry and one of my favorite m'cycle roads of all time, Tracy Road:
          http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...6&ie=UTF8&z=12

Don't forget to make time for that!

From there take 17 across the App Gap and you have rode the 20 best miles in all of NY, VT, NH, MA and ME that I have ever seen! Then you could take 100 south (another epic road) to Woodstock and the campground. That would be an epic day, some of my favorite riding in the northeast.

Looking forward to a FULL report at the campground!
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

This trip will be on the GS, Skip.
            1984 GS1100GK
            1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

You know ther is always someone waiting around to toss a wrench in the works.....

Well mother nature, a work slow down have subsituted for the wrench, but the results are the same. Going to have to shorten my vacation by a week, so no Cabot Trail this year.

On the bright side, will still make it to Moosehead. A friend and myself will probably leave on Monday morning, head to the 1000 Islands region of NY, then through the Adirondacks, VT, NH and on to Moosehead. Should arrive there mid afternoon on Thursday.

Andy
              1984 GS1100GK
              1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

You know ther is always someone waiting around to toss a wrench in the works.....

Well mother nature, a work slow down have subsituted for the wrench, but the results are the same. Going to have to shorten my vacation by a week, so no Cabot Trail this year.

On the bright side, will still make it to Moosehead. A friend and myself will probably leave on Monday morning, head to the 1000 Islands region of NY, then through the Adirondacks, VT, NH and on to Moosehead. Should arrive there mid afternoon on Thursday.

Andy
                ill be there shortly thereafter. my plan is to leave NH early am and do backroads up.

Comment

Andy
                  That SUCKS dude, but at least you are working. That is better than most and you'll still be at Moosehead. Maybe the next time you are able to do the Cabot, I'll be able to join you Can't wait to get back up there on a bike.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                  X