Rt 2/2A in MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rt 2/2A in MA

Riding to Northhampton tomorrow. Rt. 2/2A should take me an extra half an hour but it means I don't have to take 90.

Anyone ridden it? Worthwhile? Crappy? Interesting? Ridden with potholes and sand?

/UM

Yeah, the only part of 2A that gets a little squirrely is in the Athol/Orange area, and rumor has it they were redoing it as of last year. Much better chances of being able to lean into some nice corners.

Comment

Rte 2 west is a nice ride, especially after Leominster.Much preferable to Mass Pike.Will take longer as you stated.

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

2a is repaved and in great shape all the way to rt 2.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I drove that route about 200 times in my life. My girlfriend went to UMass when I lived in Harvard.

It's only mildly better than 90. You'll be on a four lane highway until Phillipston, at which point it becomes a two lane with a divided barrier that you can't pass on. It sucks. You want an actual nice route to get there? http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Boston,+MA&daddr=42.4498 08,-71.367187+toaniel+Shays+Hwy%2FMA-122%2FUS-202+to:Old+Mountain+Rd+to:MA-47%2FRiver+Dr+to:Northampton,+MA&geocode=%3B%3BFVQ RiQIdtLiw-w%3BFWK9hwIdJAeu-w%3BFdSshgIdtXCs-w%3B&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1,2,3,4 &sll=42.521712,-71.905518&sspn=0.752017,1.783905&ie=UTF8&z=10

That is how I used to go on the bike when I was looking for a booty call or some good weed at UMass. What are you doing in N. Hamp? Love that town, had some very, very good times there. I lived in South Hadley for 9 years.
          Last edited by Jethro; 08-18-2009, 12:59 PM.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Oh, I see you may have already left...
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Nah, postponed the trip. No desire to ride in 95 degree heat, let alone do the hiking I was planning on tackling after work.

Comment

I just rode that section of Rt 2, between Rt 202 and Rt 63 last week. They were resurfacing a 10-12 mile section, so if you like the squirrely feel of grooved pavement for cheap thrills, then take it.
                Otherwise the section of Rt 2 west of I-91 to No Adams is much nicer and does have a 180 degree switchback as you cross over the Berkshires. But that will take you beyond where you want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  I drove that route about 200 times in my life. My girlfriend went to UMass when I lived in Harvard.

It's only mildly better than 90. You'll be on a four lane highway until Phillipston, at which point it becomes a two lane with a divided barrier that you can't pass on. It sucks. You want an actual nice route to get there? http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Boston,+MA&daddr=42.4498 08,-71.367187+toaniel+Shays+Hwy%2FMA-122%2FUS-202+to:Old+Mountain+Rd+to:MA-47%2FRiver+Dr+to:Northampton,+MA&geocode=%3B%3BFVQ RiQIdtLiw-w%3BFWK9hwIdJAeu-w%3BFdSshgIdtXCs-w%3B&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1,2,3,4 &sll=42.521712,-71.905518&sspn=0.752017,1.783905&ie=UTF8&z=10

That is how I used to go on the bike when I was looking for a booty call or some good weed at UMass. What are you doing in N. Hamp? Love that town, had some very, very good times there. I lived in South Hadley for 9 years.
                  I would suggest a slightly different jog, too...take Rt 32 south(off Rt 2) to Rt 32A, along the eastern side of the Quabbin reservior area, back on Rt 32 and then west on Rt 9. The Amherst/UMass area may bog you down just a bit, but Rt 32A is worth it with good pavement and twisties shaded under tree covering.
                  I did this on the way back up from southern CT last week, but did Rt 32/32A all the way up from I-84 in CT. Just don't take Rt 32 from Athol up to the NH border, unless you have decent shocks, good tread and strong kidneys! It's worse than dirt and gravel roads I've ridden up here.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Please apologize the bump, but. . .

I drove to UMass Amherst to watch the Dave and Tim show (shameless plug) but I remember this amazing twisty shady road we drove one and I seem to remember a ledge on the left side as we were driving toward UMass. Is this the route mentioned below? I was driving from Hollis NH.

Comment

took it to get up to Sky Used Cycle. it beats taking the mass pike. Side note, sky used cycle are a bunch 'o thieves! $250/negotiable for a rolling frame jumped to $600 in person, waste of a trip.

Comment

Working...
                      X