Just acquired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just acquired

From Gimpdiggity. Let the 30-year overhaul commence.

Almost all of what may appear to be missing is either in a box, or I have one. Pleasure doing business with you, Jeff.

Yes, the side covers are also done in bed liner.
    Last edited by Dogma; 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Nice!! Hey....at least if it falls over in the driveway, it won't sustain any damage!

Do all GS exhausts rust out in the same spot? Both of my old stock pipes had the same rust hole.

Have fun!

Jeff (teet)

Comment

How are you going to get that bed liner stuff off?

Comment

lots of chemical thinner or sandpaper

Comment

That's just wrong.

Thank you for saving this bike from a life of shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburn View Post
            That's just wrong.

Thank you for saving this bike from a life of shame.
            Actually, I have some ideas about cleaning it up and making the bed liner work esthetically before I give up on it. Otherwise, it's industrial-grade chemistry time. I don't relish the idea of getting it off the plastic, though. That would have to be sanded down, I think, and this stuff is tough. From a purely functional point of view, the bed liner is pretty effective. The pink grips are much more offensive to my eye.

Anybody know if it's gas-proof?
            Last edited by Dogma; 08-19-2009, 09:37 AM.
            Dogma
            --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by teet View Post
              Nice!! Hey....at least if it falls over in the driveway, it won't sustain any damage!

Do all GS exhausts rust out in the same spot? Both of my old stock pipes had the same rust hole.

Have fun!

Jeff (teet)
              I don't know if that's normal or what. There's a matching hole on the other side. It still sounds good, so at least I can keep using the present exhaust until I find a replacement.
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                I don't know if that's normal or what. There's a matching hole on the other side. It still sounds good, so at least I can keep using the present exhaust until I find a replacement.
                Nice snag! If you wanna get rid of that fender, or trade it for one that you can play with a bit paint wise, let me know. My 1000Gs fender is the same, but not in as good of shape i think...I also might have an airbox floating around for that thing if you need it..

Comment

Keep us posted on the revitalization.

Comment

Nice... I like it!

Was the huge fairing in the background with the radio on that little bike?
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Nice snag! If you wanna get rid of that fender, or trade it for one that you can play with a bit paint wise, let me know. My 1000Gs fender is the same, but not in as good of shape i think...I also might have an airbox floating around for that thing if you need it..
                      Yeah? I should yank that fender and have a ride up there soon. The airbox I got with it is a little beat, and stamped for 750/850. I haven't tried to fit it in there yet, but if you have a good one that's actually for this bike... I'll have money for buying things again in a week or so.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        Nice... I like it!

Was the huge fairing in the background with the radio on that little bike?
                        That's just a Windjammer. It looks bigger because there's half a set of matching side bags right next to it. Just the left half.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

I did some poking around in the box of parts that came with the bike. I found both stock mirrors, with vibration dampers, in addition to the other Emgo bar end mirror. I also found these:

That's a cycleorings.com carb kit, right?

Notice the intake pipes: three rights and one left (as mentioned in the sale thread). It was mis-bagged according to the seller. Is anyone going to be ordering a set soon that I can arrange a swap with?
                          Last edited by Dogma; 08-23-2009, 09:55 PM.
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            Yeah? I should yank that fender and have a ride up there soon. The airbox I got with it is a little beat, and stamped for 750/850. I haven't tried to fit it in there yet, but if you have a good one that's actually for this bike... I'll have money for buying things again in a week or so.
                            The 1000G, 850G, and 8v 750 all used the same airbox.. it will fit just fine my friend. I might have a USED intake boot you can have...have to come up and take a look..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post

Josh, I copped a feel of that fender's underneathies. No rust that I could tell, just road grime. It's straight over the tire, and I haven't spotted any dings. The pinstriping has some flaws, but I imagine you'll be changing the color anyhow.

When is a good time to run it up there, or call to discuss running it up there? We were going to look at a seat swap too, right?
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                              X