Palomar Mountain road San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palomar Mountain road San Diego

Through a work colleague I was invited on a Sunday ride to Palomar Mountain road with about 18 other riders. Mostly twenty something guys with the latest greatest sport bikes. Then there was me on a bike older then some of the riders on this trip. Most of these guys seemed to be seasoned riders, talked to a few and found some beginners in our ranks as well. This always is cause for pause, almost every time I’ve been riding with new guys someone eats it or almost does.

We gathered up at a gas station near by and made the long hour plus run to the road off ramp on the 15 freeway. It’s hard to keep such a large group together, when we stopped for gas we took the place over.

Never been on this road before I was told it was short but sweet. The best part was about 7 miles. After the first few turns of full on sweep to the opposite direction with a closing radius twist on the end I knew our new guys are in for trouble. These turns were making me work hard and had me at my limits real quick. I could feel my boots touching pavement and the adrenaline kick the heart rate up. Took me a while to get into the zone and relax although I was making more mid corner throttle and brake adjustments then I prefer but then it was my first time here and the corners are blind with a few surprises mixed in. Very challenging.

After the seven mile run, the first 6-8 of us pulled over and was re-capping the ride much time had past and no other riders made it to the top. I was concerned that someone crashed, more time past and we sent one of the more faster riders down to have a look. More time passed then some riders finally showed up and someone did go down. Lucky no damage to him or his new R1. It slid out from under him on the right side only scratching the pipe and crash bars. You could see the loss of traction slip marks on the edge of his tires. If I had to guess it was caused by over braking while under full lean but who knows, he said he lost the rear and it seems about right. Better that then to run out of road. He was in good spirits and was laughing about it, I asked what happened to some of the beginner riders turned out they turned around and went home. I was glad, this was no ride to break your cherry on.

Look at the old GS go....She was working hard. LOL

These are the guys in are group always way out in front of me.....

From Wikipedia on the road to Palomar Mountain :

South Grade Road, the stretch of San Diego County Route S6 to the summit, is popular among motorcycle riders and sports car drivers due to its challenging nature (over 20 hairpin turns over the distance of less than 7 mi (11 km)). According to fire department records, there have been 26 reported motorcycle injury accidents on the mountain this year. In 2004, the figure was 23. In 2003 there were 26.

We rode it at easter on the rally - great road. Couple of other really good ones out there too.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yea It was also hard to see more than 50 ft in front. Looks like a great ride.

Comment

We had a great time . at least on Sunday when I was there. Some of the others who camped froze their booties off..

Comment

I haven't ridden that road in 20 years. I did it on the Commando and on the Triumph Hurricane a number of times.

Pretty fun.

Glad nobody was hurt.

In my experience, it is easy for some people to get competitive on a group ride.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Great pics! Always nice to tear it up on a good curvy road!

Brad bk

Comment

Did the twisties in S.D. many a times years back on my 600 Hurricane, that Honda loved the curves. Looking foward to some of the roads out hear in NH, just have to remember that theres alot more trees out here... LOL

Comment

Working...
              X