Central Arizona Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Arizona Ride

I used to live in Chandler AZ. My favorite ride was US 60 to Wickenburg then on 89 to Yarnell on to Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood, and Sedona/oak Creek. Then head back to I-17 South to Camp Verde and then South on 260/87 through Payson and head back to the Valley on the Beeline Highway. That's an all-day trip and it was as perfect as can be. It's good from April through mid-November due to the elevation which in some places can get up to about 5500 feet.

Nice, I'll have to try that out sometime, seeing as how I'm in Tempe. Going to go have a go at the Salt River Canyon this weekend, with a few other friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
      Nice, I'll have to try that out sometime, seeing as how I'm in Tempe. Going to go have a go at the Salt River Canyon this weekend, with a few other friends.
      We used to blitz up and down Apache Trail to Tortilla Flats and back on a weekly basis. We'd even make a run after work.

I like SRC too; go to the White Mountains, Show Low, Heber, down off the Rim and stop in Payson for a bite.

When you make the run through Wickenburg to Yarnell make sure you have good rubber. We used to take the sweepers at about 90, hanging off and dragging pegs. We had a blast! I know it's probably nothing on the new bikes but 20+ years ago on a GS1000S and GS1100E's that was haulin' a55!

You hear about riding in CA and how great it is but AZ has some outstanding roads too.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2009, 12:00 AM.

Comment

My Mom and Dad live in Tucson. I used to take the Pinal Pioneer parkway through Oracle Junction and Oro Valley then hop on I-10 to bypass all the downtown traffic.

I liked the Parkway because you can really haul the mail on the long straight sections then once in a while you had some curves to wake you up.

Comment

Awesome ideas, I'll have to try 'em out. I've heard about Tortilla Flats from the sport bike crowds. The fellow I bought my GS from have been riding around here and all over California for 30+ years. When I say all over, I mean the guy's been on almost every piece of pavement between here and there. And some unpaved as well. He organizes at least one ride a month for our little riding group, and gives me the lowdown on nice routes. I'll start posting our ride routes here. If anyone's interested, the website he has, with details about these adventures, is www.myridetime.com. We're an eclectic group, to say the least. Our last ride was his brand new 'Busa, a ZX9 Ninja, a Harley VRod, a newer 1200cc+ V-Star, an older 600cc V-Star, and my GS 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeman View Post
            I used to live in Chandler AZ. My favorite ride was US 60 to Wickenburg then on 89 to Yarnell on to Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood, and Sedona/oak Creek. Then head back to I-17 South to Camp Verde and then South on 260/87 through Payson and head back to the Valley on the Beeline Highway. That's an all-day trip and it was as perfect as can be. It's good from April through mid-November due to the elevation which in some places can get up to about 5500 feet.
            a while ago my buddy on his HD Ultra classic and me on my Katana did almost the reverse of this. we didnt go through payson, but headed up 17 to flagstaff, then took 89A down the back way. took about 10 hours after stops, and we had a blast!

Turtleface, its too bad I didnt know about the rides you go on! I live in El Mirage, but I leave in less than 3 weeks to head back to new england...

The ride to Tortilla Flat is fun unless you get stuck behind traffic...

Comment

Originally posted by NATEO View Post
              a while ago my buddy on his HD Ultra classic and me on my Katana did almost the reverse of this. we didnt go through payson, but headed up 17 to flagstaff, then took 89A down the back way. took about 10 hours after stops, and we had a blast!

Turtleface, its too bad I didnt know about the rides you go on! I live in El Mirage, but I leave in less than 3 weeks to head back to new england...

The ride to Tortilla Flat is fun unless you get stuck behind traffic...

The Tortilla Flats runs can be a killer behind abig a55 camper or RV (yes I've seen them on that road) but there are places where you can pass safely. Try making an early morning run. If you hit the A-Trail before 9AM it is less likely that you'll see much 4-Wheeld traffic.

One ride I've alwasy wanted to make was on the Coronado Trail. Hannigan's Meadow then to Springerville. Sweet!

Comment

Just saying Hi to my fellow Az riders.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                  Awesome ideas, I'll have to try 'em out. I've heard about Tortilla Flats from the sport bike crowds. The fellow I bought my GS from have been riding around here and all over California for 30+ years. When I say all over, I mean the guy's been on almost every piece of pavement between here and there. And some unpaved as well. He organizes at least one ride a month for our little riding group, and gives me the lowdown on nice routes. I'll start posting our ride routes here. If anyone's interested, the website he has, with details about these adventures, is www.myridetime.com. We're an eclectic group, to say the least. Our last ride was his brand new 'Busa, a ZX9 Ninja, a Harley VRod, a newer 1200cc+ V-Star, an older 600cc V-Star, and my GS 1100.
                  I went to the myridetime site. That SRC run is the one my wife and I used to make. I'd throw her on the back and we'd head out at 0700 and park it at home at 1900. 12hrs start to finish. We used to go to Payson all the time. The view of the Mogollon Rim as you crest the last hill right before you get to Payson from the South was breathatking. Her late uncle used to live in The Village of Oak Creek on Wild Horse Mesa and we'd always stop in to say hello. Been to Jerome a bunch.

I loved riding in Arizona. I didn't even own a car for the first 6 years I was stationed there.

Brings back some great memories!
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2009, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Hey Turtleface!

How was the SRC ride?

I was looking back and remembered the first time It took the SRC ride with my wife riding pillion. We got through SRC and we were picking up elevation at a nice leisurely pace running about 60-ish through the bends. About halfway up the plateau something told me to back off a little. As we rounded a a blind right hand sweeper, there, broadside on the centerline was easily the largest dang species of cattle we've ever seen. Had to be a deuce or more! He just kinda looked at us. We SLOWLY rode by to his rear and never looked back. I thanked God for telling me to slow down and we pressed on to enjoy the rest of our ride.

Comment

Well if you need another rider I should be road-trip ready very shortly

Comment

CA Company?

When you guys looking to meet up? Maybe Bill and I could get over there in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I'm about 6 months and 2000 miles away from any riding in AZ. My 1000S is being torn down for a resto and I'm stuck in Illinois.

Comment

Unfortunately, the SRC ride coincided with the appearance of my odd valve train tick, and I waved off the kick, so to speak, in order to avoid being stranded too far from home. Turned out to be a good thing, tick seems to have originated from a valve adjusting nut not being tight, and spinning itself off. So, I think my knock/tick/annoying noise, was that fellow, and the valve being too loose. Luckily, the nut stayed in the upper area of the head, and I was able to fish it out from under the camshaft with a piece of copper electrical wire I had from my roomate's garage light install. Don't think I damaged anything, the nut didn't have any signs of physical trauma, no nicks or dings or anything, just uniform metal all the way around, so I don't think it got stuck anywhere it shouldn't have, i.e. between the valve spring coils. Should have her buttoned up tomorrow, going to recheck all my valves, etc, etc, then I should be good to go for our next ride, on the 25th. Believe we'll be going up to Oak Creek Canyon, with a stop in Prescott for lunch. We're trying to do one ride a month, usually on the last Sunday. Anyone's welcome to join up, just drop a line to the webmaster @ myridetime.com, he's the organizer for the whole bit. We're pretty laid back, no wheelies, stoppies, or any of that wild bikerboyz!! kind of stuff, and frown on those sort of shenningans, so don't get terribly crazy if you ride with us, not that I really think many of the regulars here are prone to that sort of riding, off-track. There'll be a professional shutterbug present as well, and he's gotten pretty good at getting pictures while we're riding.

Comment

As for the SRC ride, once I get the bike soundly together again, I'll probably solo it, with a camera. Make a nice whole day ride out of it and try to get spectacular shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X