Ojai/Gorman/Maricopa Lockwood Valley Triangle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ojai/Gorman/Maricopa Lockwood Valley Triangle

Just got back from a ride yesterday. I put in about 200 miles on the ED. This really is a very nice ride which is in close proximity to not only Santa Barbara but also most of the western southern California riders. (West LA, SB,Baco). mapquest says it is 4 hours and 165 miles to do the triangle. With trip enroute and a detour to Maricopa I did well over 200 miles and took about 6-7 hours.

The triangle is as shown in this mapquest map. You can enter/exit from either:
    Ojai (Ventura Freeway HWY 101 from the south)
    Gorman (HWY 5 Freeway from the East)
    Maricopa (HWY 166 from the north; )

All the roads are in good shape, especially the north leg from Gorman to Maricopa along the Mil Poterro Hwy. There is very little gravel on this road and it is a beautiful descent driving from east to west. Obviously it is a long climb the other way. It goes past Pine Mountain (a small resort town) that has gas.

The Hiway 33 road north from Ojai (at the south entrance to the triangle) is a great riding road in it's own right. Normally from SB we have turned around prior to getting to the Lockwood Valley turn-off (at the Ranger Station). This road can have some gravel in the road in places which you have to watch out for. The road has different section varying from 20-40 mph to 60-80 mphs curves. If entering from this direction you already have 40 miles of twisties under you belt just getting to the Lockwood valley turnoff (point B on the Map).

From Point B riding east toward Gorman, the Lockwood Valley road is rugged and beautiful as well. The only issue is that there are several seasonal washs that cross the road, and after a rainy seasn would probably have alot of gravel and sand. Carefull driving required. Of the many washs on this road only one had a 2 foot wide street running across the concrete (1/2" deep). In CA we are ending the dry season so be carefull in the winter and early spring. There was one 40 yard section where a hill side had washed out and the entire road turned to gravel.
    Otherwise, I would not hesitate to take this road again.

If you enter from the north at Maricopa (another last chance for gas stop)you travel south on Highway 166 and 33. This is a very nice road, with some broad sweepers that rises toward the turn off's. Highway 33 south through Ventucopa is a pretty straight road. It could be a little boring unless you need to do any fuel starvation tests . Once you get past Ventucopa (the only wide spot in the road) this is a pretty remote road following wide flood plan. Amasingly there is quite a bit of agriculture including several hunred acres of orchards and vinyards. So for a straight road it is not a bad road.

In summary, once you enter the triangle the only place to get gas other than where you entered on the entire triangle is at Pine Mountain on the northern leg. All the rest is very remote (even lacking cell service in parts) so come prepared and/or bring a buddy. I rode alone but other than a little scare of running out of gas, all went well for me.

Here is a quick photo tour; Sorry it is only representative of a small protion of the ride. I was mostly in the saddle.

Last edited by posplayr; 11-15-2009, 03:09 PM.

Curseboy started this thread a while back and has a video mostly at the start of 33 from Ojai

List the route of your favorite ride or destination and let us know why you think it's so special.

Comment

that's a great ride, I've done the same except instead of going east to gorman, head west from Frazier to the 166 via cerro noroeste. Beautiful stuff.

Comment

Here are some guys on Busa's doing the same route; One guy in white is an off duty cop doing the same route just a week before I went.

Comment

Oh yeah, I rode part of this route. It was many, many years ago. On my second GS750. So it had to be 1981 or 82. Down the 101 to Santa Maria, I took the 166 east. I was heading to Lancaster to visit my cousin. My plan was to catch the 33 over to the I5. It was dark and I missed the turn. Wound up taking the 166 all the way to I5 above the grapevine.

I will ride these roads again someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
            Oh yeah, I rode part of this route. It was many, many years ago. On my second GS750. So it had to be 1981 or 82. Down the 101 to Santa Maria, I took the 166 east. I was heading to Lancaster to visit my cousin. My plan was to catch the 33 over to the I5. It was dark and I missed the turn. Wound up taking the 166 all the way to I5 above the grapevine.

I will ride these roads again someday.
            Tom,
            The route past Pine Mountain from Gorman to Maricopa was an awesome ride.
            Jim

Comment

Just got back from a ride around these three legs. Photos shown below. Alot of different scenery. Temperature varies between 70-80 deg and I saw snow; not sure how it survives.

From SB I head to Ojai and head nort on 33.

Right after you make the turn off to Lockwork Valley you cross teh river and then look to the right there is a road going into the hills. next right (about 2 miles) turn in and there is a $hit kicker/Harley Bar in there. I stopped but no beers

There is a state camp ground called Reyes Creek.

Is is out in the middle of no where but nothing to worry about there were two Park Rangers

A few people live out there; maybe 50-100

Heading further east in Lockwood Valley things get more dry and twisty

It is hard to drive very far because of all the bends in the road.

Last edited by posplayr; 04-17-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

OK just one more because of the photo op

Well I don't get it. It was about 70 degrees where I took this picture and that is snow just a couple thousand feet higher.

At Reyes Creek it was 80 degrees and there was snow just above as well. (go figure ).

Harley guys are pretty funny. You come up on them and they got their wife/GF on the back. So the road is twisty and alot of blind corners and so I stay back a little to wait and not have them feel like I'm crowding them.

We do you think when we get to a turn out they would move over to the right a little? well NO that would be too much trouble.

What about speeding up and crowding the yellow line. It doesn't really **** me off, but I have to wonder why bother to be courteous when then pull that crap. Oh well I guess it is common courtesy to let them make asses of themselves before I blow them off on the DYBC.

So I get over to Pine Mountain nice resort little place

After Leaving Pine Mounting heading North, we start getting back into National Park Land.

You probably get the idea it is hard to make good time because the road is so curvy

Every once in a while I would pull over and it would look like this. I did not do that much as this is the best part of the ride.

Sorry I did not get any more pictures of the next section. Had a brake problem, could not seem to stop There were too many 90 degree wide sweepers. Anyway I did stop to rest after getting back to the Lockwood Valley turn off .

I still got about 35 miles to get home and there are nothing but curves for the next 25 miles. Odometer shows I went about 230 in 5-6 hours.

Comment

Good stuff Jim. Looks like rain on Tuesday. We'll see what we can do.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Good stuff Jim. Looks like rain on Tuesday. We'll see what we can do.
                    More rain??? Tues-Thurs

The Weather Channel and weather.com provide a national and local weather forecast for cities, as well as weather radar, report and hurricane coverage

You riding your bike?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      More rain??? Tues-Thurs

The Weather Channel and weather.com provide a national and local weather forecast for cities, as well as weather radar, report and hurricane coverage

You riding your bike?
                      Probably not.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Bill and I did this loop on Saturday: Got a late start from SB at 10:45. Rode to Ojai on 150 and gasses up to head north on the 33. Got to Reyes Creek bar by about 12:20 to get a little something to eat. The owner says cant really get you any fries but if you wait 20 minutes we will have FREE barbecue. Can I get you a beer? Why you shore can .

What the F happend to those photos????

Free BBQ ( Beef ribs, Chicken , chicken wings, shrimp cocktail, beans , jambalaya and salad)

When I first got out here there were a bunch of Harley's part (a picture from the year before), so I dared not go in for fear of what they might do to a Suzuki guy. Anyway this year with Bill in tow, I was willing to brave the bar. Really glad we did as the people made us feel right at home with free BBQ.

After eating and taking a rest, we cont inured ob over to Frasier park to gas up. Then out through Pine Mountain to 33/166. This is one of my favorite roads especially in the spring when it is green. We then headed south down the 33 to Ojai and destinations further west (Santa Barbara) Got home about 6 :00 pm
                        Last edited by posplayr; 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Had a great ride with Jim.
                          Hadn't been on too many rides since my accident and was still feeling a bit apprehensive on some corners. By the end of the ride I had my mojo back and I was confortable as can be. Plus getting used to a different bike.
                          The E handles much better than the L (duh) but it did have some wobble at 110mph. I have a nice set of forks from Josh (TCK) that I will be rebuilding and installing soon.
                          We stopped at Reyes Bar and Grill which I have nicknamed Ed and Ned's Clan bar and grill. The locals treated us with impeccable hospitality (especially since we were white ) All you can eat BBQ for free! And all the Nazi logos your eyes could handle! A swastika branded into the bar and clear coated over and all the SS symbols on the dollar bills posted all over. My momma didn't raise me that way but whatever.
                          Great roads, great friend and good FREE food!

Comment

That's a great ride... I did it on the Skunk 18 months or so back

Bill - check your headset, swingarm & wheel bearing too if you haven't already!

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              That's a great ride... I did it on the Skunk 18 months or so back

Dan
                              Yea but I bet you did not get any free BBQ

I love going north out of Pine mountain to the 33;

Comment

Working...
                              X