Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Roads near SW Ohio

OK,
    It looks like my first year of riding is nearing an end. I noticed there seem to be a number of GSers on this site who live near or around SW Ohio (Cincinnati area). I have discovered some good roads around here, but I am sure there are a ton that I am not aware exists. I figured I would start a thread with the hope that some of the people who are familiar with this area can share their favorite roads (roads that are within about 1-2 hour ride from Cincinnati). I will list a few of my favorites that I discovered in the following posts.

In your area, you almost have to go an hour or two to get to some decent roads.
    I am just a few miles north of you, and have found that, for decent roads, you have to go east of I-71 or south of the oHIo River.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Kentucky 22

I have not riden this entire road, but I have ridden two parts of it on separate trips, and absolutley loved it.

Between Falmouth and Kentucky 10. Lots of twisties and lots of fun. I will admit, I rode this is late fall, and a lot of the leaves were missing from the trees, which helped me see around a lot of the blind turns. This would be a lot more challenging in summer. I rode it on a Saturday afternoon, and only passed about 5 cars in the whole stretch. The road was in good shape with no gravel around the turns.

Between Dry Ridge and Owenton. Not quite as twisty as the stretch above, but VERY scenic. Lot of overlooks over the rolling hills in the area.

I plan on riding this entire highway one day next year.

Comment

Indiana 262

It runs from Rising Sun to US 50. I live in Harrison, OH and it only takes 25 minutes to get to it. It is pretty short, but most of the route is wooded and is pretty fun to ride. This was a common ride for me since it was pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          In your area, you almost have to go an hour or two to get to some decent roads.
          I am just a few miles north of you, and have found that, for decent roads, you have to go east of I-71 or south of the oHIo River.

I have found some good roads in SE Indiana also. What are some of the roads that you like?
          Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Indiana 229

Between Metamora and Oldenburg. This route could be a lot of fun, but I got stuck behind slow moving cars every time I have been on it.

Comment

You want an all-day ride?

Find Route 32 on the east side take it through Batavia and Sardinia. At about 115 miles, you will cross US 23. The road remains 4-lane, but gets more interesting. Continue east for another 90 miles to just west of Parkersburg, WV, then turn north on 555. You might want to stop for gas before this turn, and to check your safety gear. Now sit down and hang on, there is a 60-mile-long roller coaster ahead of you. On the south side of Zanesville, turn west on 22, head back home. Just past Wilmington, go ahead and catch I-71 to get home quicker. Depending on where you live in relation to downtown Harrison, it will be about 440 miles for the day.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

You want an all-day ride?

Find Route 32 on the east side take it through Batavia and Sardinia. At about 115 miles, you will cross US 23. The road remains 4-lane, but gets more interesting. Continue east for another 90 miles to just west of Parkersburg, WV, then turn north on 555. You might want to stop for gas before this turn, and to check your safety gear. Now sit down and hang on, there is a 60-mile-long roller coaster ahead of you. On the south side of Zanesville, turn west on 22, head back home. Just past Wilmington, go ahead and catch I-71 to get home quicker. Depending on where you live in relation to downtown Harrison, it will be about 440 miles for the day.

I actually used to live on a farm in Mt. Orab when I was a little kid. They were building the Appalachian Hwy (32) when we lived there. I've been in a car out that way many times for work, but not on a bike. The scenery does get pretty once you get past Peebles in Adams county. I've heard about 555 (they call it the triple nickle right?). Your suggestion sounds like a good way to spend a summer afternoon.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejams1 View Post
                  ... sounds like a good way to spend a summer afternoon.
                  Yes, it's the "Triple Nickel". And, you will need more than "a summer afternoon".

At 440 miles, plan on at least 10 hours, to include gas stops and meals.

And don't forget that the sun will be in your eyes on the way there AND on the way home.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I have not riden this entire road, but I have ridden two parts of it on separate trips, and absolutley loved it.

Between Falmouth and Kentucky 10. Lots of twisties and lots of fun. I will admit, I rode this is late fall, and a lot of the leaves were missing from the trees, which helped me see around a lot of the blind turns. This would be a lot more challenging in summer. I rode it on a Saturday afternoon, and only passed about 5 cars in the whole stretch. The road was in good shape with no gravel around the turns.

Between Dry Ridge and Owenton. Not quite as twisty as the stretch above, but VERY scenic. Lot of overlooks over the rolling hills in the area.

I plan on riding this entire highway one day next year.
                    22 and 10 are a good time. But there are alot of squids down there so watch out. Dogma, RageZro and Rose and myself rode down there late this summer and aside from the idiot squids with their knees stuck out as they went around turns upright and the horrible horrible late summer storm we were treated to it was a good time. I'd ridden most of that before at Rages SWOKZ rally. Oh and rose and I almost lowsided ahem heh got a little to frisky on that 1000G. Lol.

There's alot of good roads around north eastern KY. And even more around the gorge area. There are some great ones in south eastern indiana too. I think IN235? Runs between Madison and rising sun area. Found that on the way back from Brown County rally this spring. Lots of high speed sweepers and decreasing radius stuff. Terrain changes rather rapidly so watch out. Few deer lurking in the blind corners as well. This coming season give us a shout. I regularly go south for the day and we'd love to have you along.

Comment

Gimme a shout too. I'd be interested in hooking up.
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

We could end up with a small rally if we're not careful

For a short day, come over to the South Lebanon area and run north on Mason-Morrow-Milgrove Road. Take that north until it sort of disappears, then find your way to 350 very briefly down into Fort Ancient before turning north or south on Middletown Road. Lots of fun exploring to do to the North, along the Little Miami River. To the south, get through Blanchester, then head towards Stone Lick to keep the roads somewhat interesting. Farther south than that, I've only explored a few times, but there are a ton of interesting roads and places close to the river. If you come through Blanchester to get near the river, that's turning into a long day. You'd be better off blitzing down to KY.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yes, it's the "Triple Nickel". And, you will need more than "a summer afternoon".

At 440 miles, plan on at least 10 hours, to include gas stops and meals.

And don't forget that the sun will be in your eyes on the way there AND on the way home.

Isn't 8am to 8pm on a Saturday in the summer considered an "afternoon"?.

Comment

I may take you all up on that. I wouldn't be opposed to a "mini rally" someday.

Comment

I may take you all up on that. I wouldn't be opposed to a "mini rally" someday.
                              Well You should come down to Red River Gorge in KY this summer for the 2010 Red River Rally. Rose and I are also getting hitched down there too so it promises to be not only a good weekend of GREAT roads but fun after ride festivities as well. The ride to get there is usually as fun as we can make it too! We'd love to have anyone who's interested in going. Last rally (07 its every other year split between this and Don's WV rally, which is also killer, we'll be at that in '11 too) i think we had 20ish bikes for its inaugural run. Promises to be a bit larger this time. DDaniels and yourself are more than welcome to come along! And DD, if you ever need a hand, Im probably right around the corner from ya..

Comment

Working...
                              X