Civil War sites tour from Maine this June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civil War sites tour from Maine this June

I'm just starting to plan the 2010 anual tour with my brothers. We're looking at a 2000 to 2500 mile loop from my place in Hampton, ME maybe down to visit some historical sites like Gettysburg, Petersburg, etc. We want to stay off interstates asmuch as possible, and to make a loop out of it.

Any input ideas on a fun routes for this?

You guys really hooked me up on last year's trip from Oregon to Maine.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

If you want to come another 1000 miles South, I can hook you up. Several Civil war sites are within a couple hour ride of where I live.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

What about the routes used by the armies?

This thought jumped into my head as soon as I read the title of your post.
      How about following some of the roads used by the different armies as they moved to and from the battle grounds? That would ad a great deal to the tour, and keep you off the interstates. You could even begin in Maine by following the roads used by the Maine regiments. You may even be able to follow their train routs.
      Bill
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
        If you want to come another 1000 miles South, I can hook you up. Several Civil war sites are within a couple hour ride of where I live.
        I would also suggest that you visit Fort Oglethorpe if you get into Ga. and Tn. That is a state park now but was used alot from the civil war till WWII. Also be aware of that red clay. (AKA yankee blood)

Comment

I thought of your post after reading in today's local paper that I new marker had been erected at the site of a battle that occurred near Kingsport, TN. It also mentioned a website that may be of interest to you and others with similar plans for what could be a memorable, interesting and informative trip.
          Check out: www.civilwartrails.org
          I hope that anyone that does a ride like this will post a trip report.
          Willie
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Working...
          X